Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The Million Dollar RS Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Good point by Trakcar...CGT maintenance costs are very high. That said, the CGT is hands down the most spectacular car I have ever owned. I love the 911's and have owned many but the CGT is on another level.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by secretcollector

A point to consider - I read all of the time about the smile factor that everyone derives from their track days in their Porsches - very easy to understand. At the same time, collectors like me and others get that same smile factor from simply owning these great cars and driving them on the street. No difference at all. So buying multiple examples of RS and GT cars need not be speculation (frankly, I don't care if they increase, decrease or remain at current values), but merely exponential increases in the smile factor.
u r right
while I trk quite a bit, I understand ur method of enjoyment too. I just envy ur position. I would love to have two of everything. a track garage and a Sunday brunch coffee garage.

with regard to value, I have yet to gain on the Porsches I owned. of course one of u can buy my 4.0 at $400,000 and make my day. in the long term, I would have way too many miles , chips, and wrinkles leather seats to have any value appreciation

good luck in ur search
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
If you can afford a 4.0 does not mean you can afford to keep a CGT running.
So you think the people buying multiple 4.0RS in the $300K region are going to drive them? Interesting...
Old 03-26-2013, 12:03 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

...No difference at all. So buying multiple examples of RS and GT cars need not be speculation (frankly, I don't care if they increase, decrease or remain at current values), but merely exponential increases in the smile factor.
I do not believe you on this point...
Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
The handful of people buying the handful of 4.0RS cars (especially PTS samples) are the ones setting the market price right now. I am assuming these people that are buying multiple copies of these cars are not collecting them for any reason other than to sell them later. Problem is, to whom will they sell them? When the 4.0RS is 3 years old and out of warranty who would buy it over a CGT for similar money?
while I c ur point, it's not all true
I have a good friends who has multiple rs, even same color and option.i think he bought them bc he is diseased. sell? well yes in 15 yrs when he's bored maybe. appreciation in price? great but I think his income level would make any appreciation on those cars look like the allowances I give my 4yo ( that would b 1 Penny for wiping the kitchen floor or 1 Popsicle for drying 8 race car wheels).

I sometimes have multiple rs
I lose money on everyone
if u inc tax, Its about 40-50000 per car I lose
it's a disease
most ppl buying rs are all fking stupid and diseased. in particular those on RL. Trakcar is a friend of mine he on his 4th, secretcollector is no doubt in deep need of mental help, I'm already beyond hope, several others I know personally have either multiple rs same time or have bought and sold rs over and over? why? we r all diseased

btw, I'm a psychiatrist. I do remote therapy. pm me for info. my charge is low. I will end up save u money once u quit buying rs.

go ahead and challenge my thoughts
Old 03-26-2013, 12:11 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by richk
Good point by Trakcar...CGT maintenance costs are very high. That said, the CGT is hands down the most spectacular car I have ever owned. I love the 911's and have owned many but the CGT is on another level.
No doubt CGT are costly to maintain...4.0RS out of warranty will be cheap? Also, you are assuming that the people paying $300k for 4.0RS will be driving them. If you had the means to purchase a $400K car, and you did not own a 4.0RS or a CGT which would you buy first...4.0RS for $300k or CGT for $350k? People do not buy either of these cars with their last money.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:17 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Kinda like selling your house for a great price... and then having nowhere to live!

t..
there r not many stock virgin rs for sales bc most drive them
there r several rs for sale now
three 3.8 RS on RL inc mine, again I'm diseased. probably buy one same color fove seconds after I sell mine.

many ppl have multiple houses, sell one at great price move to the other house.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
I sometimes have multiple rs
I lose money on everyone
if u inc tax, Its about 40-50000 per car I lose
it's a disease
most ppl buying rs are all fking stupid and diseased. in particular those on RL. Trakcar is a friend of mine he on his 4th, secretcollector is no doubt in deep need of mental help, I'm already beyond hope, several others I know personally have either multiple rs same time or have bought and sold rs over and over? why? we r all diseased

btw, I'm a psychiatrist. I do remote therapy. pm me for info. my charge is low. I will end up save u money once u quit buying rs.

go ahead and challenge my thoughts
I am quite familiar with car disease and A.D.D. My brother has had every variation of every Porsche and recently sold his PTS 4.0RS to secretcollector, in addition he has had every Ferrari (scud, 16M, 458, California, FF, just saw his new 458 spider arrived), and an MP4-12C. I also agree with you that buying RS cars is not a money maker...
Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So the big question is this: if it is indeed such a seller's market, where are all of the cars for sale, as usually happens in any market where prices are so strong? Check around, from 3.6 to 3.8 to 4.0, there is almost nothing to buy.
It's no different than stocks. People tend to hold onto a winner well past the point of maximum value. If there is almost nothing to buy then that's all the more reason to cash out when it's already well understood that the next 'investment' will have the highest cost of entry yet.
And from my viewpoint it seems that #1) GT3 guys only buy GT3s and #2) a lot of 991 GT3 are going to be sold because most really don't care that its PDK only. GT3's are like mountain bikes, they're mass produced and seldom see the trail.

So the end game is pretty clear: sell now if you don't plan to keep it forever, you'll never have more leverage.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 963 Posts

Anyone that follows along the great conversations here and elsewhere recently can see that there is a consensus opinion that it's a seller's market for the whole range of 997 RS cars (excepting the GT2).

So the big question is this: if it is indeed such a seller's market, where are all of the cars for sale, as usually happens in any market where prices are so strong? Check around, from 3.6 to 3.8 to 4.0, there is almost nothing to buy.
The people pushing the seller's market angle are primarily those hoping a 997 RS will fall into their laps on the cheap or those trying to convince themselves how much better the 991 GT3 is.

Supply will go up when 991 RS eventually hits but I wouldn't expect it to replicate the bumps seen with the 996 RS/997 RS and 997.1 RS/997.2 RS transitions.

991 RS will be significantly more expensive - anticipate an optioned car approaching $200k out the door - which will dimish attraction for track junkies.

997 RS represents last of Mezger/manual providing some historical/sentimental value. Many like me will keep current car and add a 991 GT-something unless somebody comes along and offers a number on current car that can't be ignored.

Those hoping for a 20%-30% cliff dive for clean, low-mile 997 RS's are likely to be disappointed.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:29 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Statman

If the delta was only 50k I would get the CGT.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:32 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by perfectlap
It's no different than stocks. People tend to hold onto a winner well past the point of maximum value. If there is almost nothing to buy then that's all the more reason to cash out when it's already well understood that the next 'investment' will have the highest cost of entry yet.
And from my viewpoint it seems that #1) GT3 guys only buy GT3s and #2) a lot of 991 GT3 are going to be sold because most really don't care that its PDK only. GT3's are like mountain bikes, they're mass produced and seldom see the trail.

So the end game is pretty clear: sell now if you don't plan to keep it forever, you'll never have more leverage.
well, where were u when I bought 500,000 shares of AAPL at 700 on my birthdate huh?

my XLM, Newsboy, mojo, ybb are plenty dirty and not mass produced?

but u r right. sell it now or hold it forever. buy my 3.8rs
Old 03-26-2013, 12:33 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Statman

lmao, really... u don't say
Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Statman

I think we are real close to that being the delta. Especially given that CGT were made in such larger quantities. So now either the CGT should start really jumping higher, or the 4.0RS is inflated. But, the people driving the 4.0RS market think the CGT was over produced, and that will keep their prices in check. My conclusion is therefore, the 4.0RS market is artificially inflated. But only time will tell...
Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I only buy things I like. If it goes up that's great if it doesn't that's fine with me. Mike

Quick Reply: The Million Dollar RS Question