Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

MP4-12C Depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

Rad, the picture of you sideways is cool.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:05 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I would not pay more than $60k for a 997 GT3 RS, $80k for a 3.8RS and $100k for a 4.0RS. These are obsolete cars, 8 years old, old technology, the world has moved on. Asking prices are a different matter, they are all overpriced. At my suggested prices, I like them, at their current prices, forget it.

Fiat fixed, 3 months wait. Rebuilding the old parts to have spares, as the part is going to fail again. Best sport car money can buy, even today, $175k doesn't buy anything better.
Sorry for being OT...Haha- GT3 outdated technology. Different strokes for different folks. Keeping in mind that these are street cars and not race cars, I would lobby that the Scud is outdated in comparison. And I found the build quality to be inferior to my RS...which is why I sold the Scud and bought another RS.

Last edited by scott40; 02-07-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL - what an entertaining thread with a lot of Worthless opinons. I would say NJ - GT has the best thought out response on the car.

I own a 12C. I have tracked it a couple of times and IMHO it is best supercar in the market. Sure the Ferrari sounds better, and some might say it looks better but the 12C IS IMHO the better car. This is a Porsche site so we are going to get some biased opinions BUT from a technology standpoing, it is light years ahead of the RS 4.0. Nobody can argue that. Yeah - it might not have the track support but Dealer support has been excellent. If I have any issues - they pick it up on a flatbed/enclosed trailer at their expense. I didn't expect the car to be flawless so the minor issues through frustating haven't been a big deal.

Regarding resale: It bothers me a bit BUT I have no plans on selling so I really don't give a ****.

I have owned my car for almost a year and it is going in for a software update so I will give you guys an detailed review when I get it back.

This is me at COTA last month in the rain: Stock brake pads, steel rotors, upgraded to Motul 600, with P Zero street tires.

Last edited by Ritesh; 02-07-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Poor English!!:-(
Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritesh
LOL - what an entertaining thread with a lot of Worthless opinons. I would say NJ - GT has the best thought out response on the car.

I own a 12C. I have tracked it a couple of times and IMHO it is best supercar in the market. Sure the Ferrari sounds better, and some might say look better but the 12C IS IMHO the better car. Sure this is a Porsche site so we are going to some biased opinion BUT from a technology standpoing, it is light years ahead of the RS 4.0. Nobody can argue that. Yeah - it it might not have the track support but Dealer support has been excellent. If I have any issues - they pick it up on a flatbed/enclosed trailer at their expense. I didn't expect the car to be flawless so the minor issues through frustating haven't been a big deal.

Regarding resale: It bothers me a bit BUT I have no plans on selling so I really don't give a ****.

I have owned my car for over a year and it is going in for a software update so I will give you guys an detailed review when I get it back.

This is me at COTA last month in the rain: Stock brake pads, steel rotors, upgraded to Motul 600, with P Zero street tires.

http://youtu.be/D0AM5lX1GWk

Input from someone who has actually owned and tracked a McLaren
What a novel concept

wsh
Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

I own a 12C. I have tracked it a couple of times and IMHO it is best supercar in the market. Sure the Ferrari sounds better, and some might say it looks better but the 12C IS IMHO the better car. This is a Porsche site so we are going to get some biased opinions BUT from a technology standpoing, it is light years ahead of the RS 4.0. Nobody can argue that. Yeah - it might not have the track support but Dealer support has been excellent. If I have any issues - they pick it up on a flatbed/enclosed trailer at their expense. I didn't expect the car to be flawless so the minor issues through frustating haven't been a big deal.

I have owned my car for almost a year and it is going in for a software update so I will give you guys an detailed review when I get it back.

Curious what mode that was in...car shifting on it's own or were you in a manual mode?
Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sport mode for both Handling and Power. I didn't want to test the track mode on a new car, new track in the Rain.

At times I was manually downshifting but many times I was leaving the car in Auto mode. I was prolly driving 7/10's in the corners. This was the 1st DE organization at the track and the COTA big wigs were paranoid about letting a bunch of us "amateurs" loose on their $350MM baby. Passing was VERY LIMITED almost to the point of frustration.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The real 12C track test is dry conditions at Sebring, Summer, with a Platinum DE Cup driver, and any tire with the grip or more grip than a Hoosier R6. One hour driving, to check what gives up.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

I am with Ritesh. The 12C is an amazing car both on and off the track. For its price range it is years ahead of its competitions. Don't sweat the track support at this point. It is a new car and the track support is coming in the very near future. Why do you think they introduced the Can Am car? There will be some cool stuff for McLaren owners on tracks in North America. One of the best parts about owning a McLaren is their support. They are not Fiat and make it a hassle. They want their product to be the best out there so they are giving their customers the best experience.

As for driving it on track, the car will make a 4.0 feel like a Panamera. It is light, leaps off the corners, and brakes very well for a stock car on street tires. For the DE Cup guys I would say any of you guys would have been running 27s or faster in a 12C this past weekend at COTA.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:04 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi ritesh,

thanks for this valuble info. I never said that the Mclaren wasnt good on track..what I said is that its not a "desperate housewive car"..and your feedback seems to prove that..its definately a car that should withstadn some driving on circuits..whether it has the long term reliability of the GT3 or GT2..is difficult to judge.

PS: you changed the Ceramics with steel? is that OK with Mclaren,.,,? Which brand did you use,..any concerns with it..?

thanks,

PSII: Im like you - took out my ceramics on my GT2..just in case..
Old 02-07-2013, 04:10 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I have driven 3 different 458 Italias, 2 599 (one of them a HGTE), and from these 5 cars, the HGTE is my choice.

Then I recently drove the MP4-12C, and did not close the deal because the purchase price and trade-in on the Fiat was like giving away 2 Scuderias for the 12C.

Trakcar doesn't know anything on cars other than mid 90s Mustangs, not even anything on P-cars because he does zero work on them.

Properly optioned, the 12C U.S. version is just 50 lbs heavier than a standard 430 Scuderia, and 300 lbs lighter than a 458.

There are track brake pads available from many manufacturers, the 12C shares CCM rotors and pads with Fiat and GM.

Engine is made by Ricardo, the Mezger has nothing for this engine.

Tranny is made by Graziano, lightest DCT made to date, and no VW tranny (manual or auto-PDK) has nothing on this.

The brake cooling ducts on the optional (mandatory imho) CCM brakes are a work of art, something VW and the Aero Beetle fan boys can only dream of.

The 12C independently tested produced more downforce than a GT3 RS 4.0, and this flavor of GT3 is the GT2/GT3 street car with the highest downforce number produced ever by the Beetle factory.

Right now, there are a lot of 12C with under 3,000 miles for sale under $220k, when MSRP on them was between $270k-$300k. The car has depreciated badly in just one year, but it will continue that trend because: it is British, it is a new brand, it doesn't look exotic, it doesn't have track credibility.

At less than $220k right now, it is practically on the same price range as the GT3 RS 4.0, and the cars cannot be compared, the 4.0RS is a pig (heavy), it has a weak engine (power wise), a weak engine (durability wise), stupid look at me wings that looks horrid on public streets, ugly graphics, and it looks as attractive as $38k used 2005 997 Carrera 3.4 with a Japanese body kit.

I think the 12C will continue to depreciate, there is no love for the car in U.S.

I would have bought one if the numbers made sense when I test drove it, and almost did it. At this time, the numbers make a lot more sense, as I can trade-in the Scuderia and get the 12C for more, but not as much as another Scuderia. However, I will wait another year because they will keep depreciating.

McLaren parts are $$$$ (in U.S.), they have implemented the Fiat model, but at other places around the planet parts are more affordable.

The car can run 19" wheels all around, and in these sizes there are plenty of tires. This car with a set of sticky tires would put all the Aero Beetles to shame.

For late 2012, among the changes, they have increased the threshold for temperature warnings (causing limp mode on some cars). This was not a fault of Graziano or Ricardo, it was McLaren IT guys with no clue on proper temperatures. A very nice set of cooling ducts for the engine is already available from a race shop in U.K.

In between a 430 Scuderia and a MP4-12C, the 12C (with an open diff) gets my preference.
hmm..pretty harsh comment..why? Yes, the 997 is older than the Mclaren..no doubt..but a Mclaren is not necessarily faster then the "old GT2RS"..it may be more comfortable..no doubt about that.

Saying that "The brake cooling ducts on the optional (mandatory imho) CCM brakes are a work of art, something VW and the Aero Beetle fan boys can only dream of." is also..what do you mean by "aero beetle fan boys"...= Porsche

Lets not fight here..everyone has his opinions and ideas..although I dont like the design from the 458 for example..its still an awesome car I would say.

No - I havent driven one..but have been a passenger in one and a friend of mine has one...
Old 02-07-2013, 04:14 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sport mode for both Handling and Power. I didn't want to test the track mode on a new car, new track in the Rain.

At times I was manually downshifting but many times I was leaving the car in Auto mode. I was prolly driving 7/10's in the corners. This was the 1st DE organization at the track and the COTA big wigs were paranoid about letting a bunch of us "amateurs" loose on their $350MM baby. Passing was VERY LIMITED almost to the point of frustration.
Did you get any McLaren F1 team access/perks at COTA GP?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by a.928
Hi ritesh,

thanks for this valuble info. I never said that the Mclaren wasnt good on track..what I said is that its not a "desperate housewive car"..and your feedback seems to prove that..its definately a car that should withstadn some driving on circuits..whether it has the long term reliability of the GT3 or GT2..is difficult to judge.

PS: you changed the Ceramics with steel? is that OK with Mclaren,.,,? Which brand did you use,..any concerns with it..?

thanks,

PSII: Im like you - took out my ceramics on my GT2..just in case..
Ceramics are optional on the car. They come standard with steels.

An interesting note about the ceramics is they weigh more than the steels due to the bigger caliper size and some of the hardware on the Ceramics.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

CCB is an option on the 12C. Get the ceramics for the street, they will last forever.

I'm with Rad, RS 3.8 should be $80k for a rational buy. But not because it's "old" tech, but because the car (997 NA GT3/RS) is mass produced in the thousands.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:18 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

I'm jealous. I'd love to run that track in almost any car! Good for you.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
I'm with Rad, RS 3.8 should be $80k for a rational buy. But not because it's "old" tech, but because the car (997 NA GT3/RS) is mass produced in the thousands.
All good in theory. In the real world there are currently two 3.8 RS's on Porsche used car finder and one on Cars.com vs 54 MP4-12C's.

Not taking anything away from the McLaren but that's like saying you should be able to buy a Ferrari 250 GTO for $250k, $500k, $750k....pick a number.

Quick Reply: MP4-12C Depreciation