Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Texas Two Step...pics n vids

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:25 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bad Ddog, seems like you never sat still the whole weekend. I didn't know your times until you hit me with the suck it. I won't forget it. Lol

Aussie, that track loves the stickier tires. The toyos in F1 world were the super hard compounds. Needed the super softs
Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

If Dep Dog is posting up 2:31's in a 3.6 .1 GT3 with NT01's against all the 3.8's then he wins the COTA event.

Last edited by mdrums; 02-04-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:46 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
My bad Ddog, seems like you never sat still the whole weekend. I didn't know your times until you hit me with the suck it. I won't forget it. Lol

Aussie, that track loves the stickier tires. The toyos in F1 world were the super hard compounds. Needed the super softs
In hindsight, giving the international sign to "suck it" to a guy 2 feet taller than me and in 10x better shape was probably not a sound idea. Got caught up in the moment

Even though the hoosiers were the tires to run there, I had a ball on the nittos. Slipping, sliding, and fighting to keep it straight is half the fun.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
If Dep Dog is posting up 2:31's in a 3.6 .1 GT3 with NT01's against all the 3.8's then he wins the COTA event.
I had a sound performance in the old Rumblebee, but Nick stole the show. He blew it out with a smoking flyer nailing every corner. I'm going to pull his TBL shortly. My bet is he matched it.

He's a great canary in the cave as he's 30 and fearless. He's tries all the **** I'm too scare to attempt on my own. If he doesn't wad his car up trying some new whacky ****e while experimenting, then I go for it
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Super nice videos. The track looks like a lot of fun, those changing ratios esses, the autoX 2nd gear turns, the straights.

Any issues with ice mode? slick tracks tend to create ABS ice mode problems with the Aero Beetles.

Did Randy win the DE Cup inaugural at COTA? 2:27 on a long geared low downforce Aero Beetle 3.8 is good, but for such long racetrack, The Deputy Doggie gets my vote 2:31 with the 3.6 997.1.

Impressive that a CRX ran 2:33 on street tires, very impressive.

Was the 2:22 ZR1 on slicks? It's good that someone is proving how monster fast the ZR1 is.

What a well balanced racetrack, with elements to equalize all sort of cars

More pictures!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

You could ice in a couple spots. I saw it on the uphill braking zone on the front straight, as well as the short back straight.

The track was okay.... Sebring is better. So is VIR. So is Road Atlanta. Seemed like you were either going really fast or really slow at COTA. Definitely suited for F1 cars.

Checked the box for having been there though. Don't regret going, but it wasn't the coolest track I've ever been on.

The facility was world class. Made sebring looked like a landfill. The staff working there were exceptional as well. Couldn't have been more friendly.

It was great meeting some new RL's as well! All in all, wonderful trip with lots of laughs. Kicking back in the RV as I'm typing this on the way back to Florida.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Randy got it but rad does it count when driving someone else's car??

I wanted to take more pics but I would get lazy. There were Ferrari challenge and scuderia that you would've been proud of. Viper competition coupes to even a old school Audi rally car

Yes that zr1 was on slicks that did the 2:22

Ddog, I agree with you on other tracks
Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Nice going, Mike! Yeah, as I told some of the guys at TWS, COTA has some corners thhat are significantly slower than pretty much anything else they have encountered...maybe 2nd gear even in RS's.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-04-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Mike, if you ever come back to TWS, let's work together. I got my ratty old BMW down to a personal best 1:53.4 on Saturday morning in DE traffic, and did a couple of 1:53.7's yesterday morning, also waiting for point-by's. This on 18 heat cycle Hankook Z214's. And partly by followinf me, Jacy (ShakeAndBake) did a 1:51 in his RS yesterday on fresh rubber. So both of you guys should be in the high 1:40's in your hot rod RS's.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
here was thee red flag issues we were having. as you can see the 1st red flag actually comes out as my head is looking left through the turn, dont know how nick missed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSQ3_...e_gdata_player
Good lord! This reinforces how much risk is associated with throwing a red flag. That is supposed to happen really only in the case of a true emergency (someone injured, car on fire with driver still in it,...)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:26 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Good lord! This reinforces how much risk is associated with throwing a red flag. That is supposed to happen really only in the case of a true emergency (someone injured, car on fire with driver still in it,...)
Wow, that's just plain stupid.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Sorry you guys had such issues with the flags/corner works/track control. I know Mark worked his butt off to make this event happen, but some things just weren't in his control. Overall, it still looks like you guys had a good time and I hope you enjoyed your stay in Tejas. TWS really is a special track. Not sure if you guys know, but it's been for sale for quite a while, but hasn't sold yet because the owners are asking too much. Problem is, those that are interested in buying it are developers who want to raze it and turn it into a mixed-use property with homes/multi-family/retail, etc. That will be a sad day when TWS is no more.

I think I like COTA better overall, but TWS has always been my favorite track. You guys running low 50's are moving good out there. The track does flow nicely and it isn't too hard on brakes which was always a plus IMO.

Surprised no one knocked off the 2:22 time. Well, I take that back. Keith Verges apparently ran a 2:19 in his Radical SR8 based on a comment he made in our local DFW auto club forum. I don't doubt that time at all as the SR8 (V8 Radical) is exceptionally fast and Keith is an accomplished racer. I hope he had video, but I have zero reason to doubt that time.

As much as I love my ZR1 and how brutally fast it can be, I have a soft spot for the overall goodness of the GT P-cars. I am anxiously awaiting the 991 variants of the GT3 and GT3RS and, of course, the C7 ZR1. One of those will likely be my next track/weekend fun steed.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:57 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Great post, Mike. Thanks for taking us along.

for Goldcrest. Those guys really know how to support us!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:01 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Dave, no doubt in my mind we can get to the high 40's at TWS. I will take my 52 with only a half of day.

Quik, it will be a sad day if that track is sold and demolished, and I think your time at COTA will hs up for while against street cars
Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Really felt bad for Mark, as you can tell he had no control over corner workers. They were just clueless about running a DE.

Funniest thing I heard was DeputyDog in his session. Standing black flag, then out of nowhere they pull it down and go green. No one notices and here he comes flying around a 10 cars and gets past the train.

Quick Reply: Texas Two Step...pics n vids