Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who's got links to lightweight parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark GT3
For lightweight door skins and inner door panels check out Manthey. The weight saving with the outer skin isn't worth it for the $ but the inner panels are. This setup retains the stock locks, windows, etc.
$2500 or so for these

19 lbs saved
Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Burke

You don't snore and your wife weighs more than 100 lbs
Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Peter is such a hater.
Just trying to make a point before you go beyond point of no return. Been there done that. Twice .
Seems like you are about to dump a bunch of money in a hole, consider who's writing this.

I just would buy a ready to go (street legal) race ready car before I would part out and make a perfectly fine 997 undriveable on the street. Legal or not. Or buy a used truck and trailer.

Me thinks between instant depreciation and lightweight upgrade costs you can have a a lightweight stripper from someone who already prepped a car for less you can sell your car for.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:22 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Just trying to make a point before you go beyond point of no return. Been there done that. Twice .
Seems like you are about to dump a bunch of money in a hole, consider who's writing this.

I just would buy a ready to go (street legal) race ready car before I would part out and make a perfectly fine 997 undriveable on the street. Legal or not. Or buy a used truck and trailer.

Me thinks between instant depreciation and lightweight upgrade costs you can have a a lightweight stripper from someone who already prepped a car for less you can sell your car for.
No...Peter...no...don't you want to see Dog pull into Sebring wearing ear plugs?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:36 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

This is true.
I have since put my car back in D.E street trim so i can still use it everyday while in florida.(But the stripper in her is asking to come back out!).......

It would be a shame to take your car from street duty and turn it into a stripped down weekend warrior.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:50 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Mooty: What cage is that? OEM cup? And what is the car being converted? Hard to tell from the pics.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:50 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Words of wisdom from Peter and The Farmer. Stop do not proceed any further. I also went down that road with an E46M3. $30k car 60k invested on top and sold for $30k. I am a faster learner than Peter as I only did it once.

Peter
Old 11-18-2012, 11:55 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

PCCB over steel - best weight savings that there is
Old 11-18-2012, 12:00 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I totally get what you're saying and appreciate the advice. However, I NEVER drive the car around town. I can't take it to work as it looks bad in front of staff and clients. Not to mention I spend a lot of time in the car and its impossible to talk on the phone with the side muffler delete setup. Other than the occasional bombing around town on a weekend, it pretty much sits in the garage on a tender between events.

As far as value, my car is probably bottomed out. 32k miles. Probably close to 20k of it on the track. Scratches, small dents, etc... This car will only be appreciated by a club racer at this point.

The trailer setup is for sure a consideration.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:02 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Words of wisdom from Peter and The Farmer. Stop do not proceed any further. I also went down that road with an E46M3. $30k car 60k invested on top and sold for $30k. I am a faster learner than Peter as I only did it once.

Peter
Agreed. But it doesn't really cost a ton of money to lighten it up. Basically just taking stuff out. I can always put it in my attic and return to stock if I have to. Nothing permanent.

Sunroof is definitely coming out in a couple weeks. Roof skin should be here next week.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u should just buy the rsr to restore and I will generously offer my garage and look after that old 6 cup of urs. they r slow, u need a more manly car. let sissy me take the girly car
"A" for effort Mooty!

You will have to pry it from my cold dead hands...
Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Agreed. But it doesn't really cost a ton of money to lighten it up. Basically just taking stuff out. I can always put it in my attic and return to stock if I have to. Nothing permanent.

Sunroof is definitely coming out in a couple weeks. Roof skin should be here next week.
Righttttt been there done that and it didn't work that way.

If you are serious about it then don't 1/2 azz it while the roof is off go with a full cage for safety and you may as well call Lex at Motion Control and order you shocks and get rid of the crxppy 1st gen PASM. Carbon wide front fenders and carbon hood are nice to go with the carbon doors. Regear the transmission.

Who am I to stop you from helping the Economy.

Peter

Last edited by 85Gold; 11-18-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA997
Andrew...along with all the weight loss, "while you're at it" go ahead and buy the zero hour 560HP RSR motor Orbit has sitting on the shelf...I was looking/drooling over it today.
wierd - goog.chrome gives me a malware warning on orbits parts site ...
something .ru - seems the cold war continues on the inter-web
Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
wierd - goog.chrome gives me a malware warning on orbits parts site ...
something .ru - seems the cold war continues on the inter-web
Odd...using Firefox loads just fine. Chrome sux.

This just arrived at Orbit last week for sale Andrew - get this:
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2012, 02:00 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

That looks awesome. I wonder where he got those dive planes?

Quick Reply: Who's got links to lightweight parts?