Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Proper DE attire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:27 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
The Stand21 is a bit of overkill for the DE but you would certainly win your run group if you wore it

In all seriousness I love my Stand21 Ivos Double Duty carbon helmet. Never ever get a sore neck. The suits are quite nice too. Chunky investment of funds though

PS- I'm in that Stand21 video W8MM posted above Lol!

Empire- if you have a place to put the cooler, a cool shirt is the only way to stay cool in the summer. Unless your event host lets you run windows up and A/C on.

stephanie kuhn???
Old 08-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sod's Law being what it is, I am always having to drive on track in Spain or Italy during heatwaves. If I have to wear Nomex, I have a simple solution, I vac-pac several sets of underwear and store them in the freezer. Then everytime I stop I run under a cold shower and at the last moment before getting back into the car, I pull on a new set of underwear from out of the freezer. I also hydrate with yoghurt drinks.

R+C
Old 08-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
In a street car, fire risk is minimal. In a car without a full cage, get out! In a race car with a cage and wearing a Hans, exiting in a hurry is harder. That's the reason race cars have a fire suppression system and wearing Nomex is mandatory in racing.

Since you prefer to wear Nomex, I hope you wear a Hans device since the risk of a broken neck is much greater than a fire.
Unless you pass out when you hit the wall and car catches fire. Every incremental step you take in safety is one step in the correct direction, it is just hard to predict the future. I agree on a Hans, when we were at Tremblant I was shocked to find out one of the guys in a blue RS was wearing a shoulder belt

I don't wear a race suit, but have considered.....guess once I do I'll be that guy
Old 08-12-2012, 07:43 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
...when we were at Tremblant I was shocked to find out one of the guys in a blue RS was wearing a shoulder belt
Not a problem if you are in a street car with its normal safety "system" in place (belts, air bags, etc.).

Better that than a 5/6-point without a HANS, which I would not do.

And you won't be "that" guy unless you overdo it. In super hot weather, I could see myself hanging out in light shorts and a T, and slipping in and out of a suit for the runs. Kind of convenient.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FFaust
Not a problem if you are in a street car with its normal safety "system" in place (belts, air bags, etc.).

Better that than a 5/6-point without a HANS, which I would not do.
We can agree to disagree

Street car safety is designed do street car speeds / testing

I guess it depends on where you are at in your sport / hobby

A man traveling Sebring at a 2:20ish clip is traveling at race car speed.....hence should have race car safety gear
Old 08-12-2012, 08:05 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Fully agree.

Not saying that normal system = cage + harness + HANS, just that if you don't have a HANS, you're better off with the shoulder belt.

I took Peter around Mosport last year without a helmet so that we could talk, and that I could show him the line. We were probably going 6/10, if even that. As you add some 10ths, you should also add safety equipment.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:52 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Ok. Just make sure you go FLATOUT.
LMAO That's the only way I drive - flat out.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:12 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Unless you pass out when you hit the wall and car catches fire.
technically it is highly unlikely a wall hit will ignite your car if you enter head in. but if you get somebody entering into your rear end with 30-35mph diff there is a very good chance for fuel rails to dismount or crack and that will ignite you immediately as they are exactly above headers and mufflers.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:55 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostin
So say you are running DE, you go off track, hit the wall and your car lights up? Would you prefer nomex or cotton? Couldn't care less what others think of how I look but I know my preference...
I agree completely...really don't understand how some guys think otherwise. tracks like sebring, road atlanta, watkins glen, etc can result in a lot more than sweaty pits and bruised egos...

but I don't know...maybe I'm just a realist. I've seen plenty of bad things happen at the track and have hit the wall in a few cars racing and never thought to myself: "I wish I wasn't sweating"
Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
technically it is highly unlikely a wall hit will ignite your car if you enter head in. but if you get somebody entering into your rear end with 30-35mph diff there is a very good chance for fuel rails to dismount or crack and that will ignite you immediately as they are exactly above headers and mufflers.
fuel isn't the only thing flammable in your car. brake fluid, power steering fluid, all that stuff is up in the front of the car.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 392 Likes on 227 Posts

As an instructor nothing worries me more than a student in a brand new track suit with zero time. I wouldn't spend any money on a track suit- much less the Stand 21 I'm a real race car driver look at me outfit- until you find out if this sport is for you. Wear whatever your club requires and what you feel comfortable in. If your car doesn't have air conditioning get a cool shirt otherwise use the AC button-your instructor will want to be comfortable too. He or she will probably be in jeans and a t-shirt.

Please remember to tip your instructor. Beer is nice but a full set of hoosiers is not inappropriate for a really good instructor.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 822 Posts

Unless you pass out when you hit the wall and car catches fire. Every incremental step you take in safety is one step in the correct direction, it is just hard to predict the future. I agree on a Hans, when we were at Tremblant I was shocked to find out one of the guys in a blue RS was wearing a shoulder belt

I don't wear a race suit, but have considered.....guess once I do I'll be that guy
I agree in many ways. it is a fine line...when I am coaching, regardless of car or track, I wear my full race gear set up. When I am doing advanced DE instruction for my local PCA regions, I don't...I wear thir issued advanced instructor attire (nice golf shirt), pants, and race shoes.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

I agree in many ways. it is a fine line...when I am coaching, regardless of car or track, I wear my full race gear set up. When I am doing advanced DE instruction for my local PCA regions, I don't...I wear thir issued advanced instructor attire (nice golf shirt), pants, and race shoes.
Where will I stitch all of my DE Cup sponsor patches if I don't wear my stand 21 race suit.....and race suit needs to match my custom painted helmet

Intimidation in staging line is worth a second a lap
Old 08-13-2012, 12:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

The color of your calipers tell all.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The color of your calipers tell all.
on my way to home depot to buy a blowtorch........need to look fast in DE series

Quick Reply: Proper DE attire?