Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Fast 4.0 at Laguna Seca this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012 | 04:54 AM
smack
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice time jesse!
just think how much quicker you'd have gone if you didn't cheap out on that full weight lead battery :P

can't wait to get back out there with you.
sean
Old 07-03-2012 | 10:31 AM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Great run Jesse.
Old 07-03-2012 | 10:47 AM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmenczer
Wow - by popular demand I have posted my first driving video publicly. I appreciate all the kind words, it's taken a lot of practice to deliver this kind of time. Previous best on Hoosier R6 was 1:35.4 in Sharkwerks 3.9L 997.1 GT3 in 2011. This was my first weekend with the RS 4.0 at Laguna.

The stock 997.2 GT3 Cup cars are turning 1:27-29 on =slicks=. (1:26 are World Challenge cars and other modified versions, Loren Begg's beast is a prototype racer that weighs ~2300lbs and has 650HP in a tube frame car. The only thing that makes it a Porsche is the engine).

At the Porsche Owner's Club 996/997 3.8L GT3 Cup or gutted/caged cars with manual transmissions weighing under 2800lbs in the top race group are turning 1:31-32 in qualifying with =slicks= (usually Yokes).

I think that in more ideal conditions and a perfect lap that a low 1:32 is possible with my setup. However, it will be quite difficult. On the other hand the track was cold as this was first session of the day and the surface had some condensation on it. Later in the morning I tried to push this hard with similar tyres but with 6 heat cycles on them and I had to make two large saves (in T5 and T6 - the video of this is quite entertaining). So I'm not leaving a lot of time of table. The only places on the lap that I obviously see that I left time on table was not entering T5 fastest enough (you can tell because I don't have to counter-steer to control the rear end) and over braking slightly for the corkscrew. T6 was near perfect as I exited at 111MPH! (my fastest ever).

Here's my best effort at Laguna in a street car:
Laguna Seca 1:33.089
J,

Awesome work and thanks for sharing! See you in August at POC!

Fred
Old 07-03-2012 | 11:32 AM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting. Great video... Did you collect the $500 from the Viper driver?
Old 07-03-2012 | 11:48 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 617 Posts

Some very, very impressive shoeing...

Great to see an RS 4.0 driven this way!

pete
Old 07-03-2012 | 11:53 AM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smack
nice time jesse!
just think how much quicker you'd have gone if you didn't cheap out on that full weight lead battery :P
Funny you should mention it. Until the day before I had the $1700 li-ion battery in the car. The battery died permanently so the awesome crew of BR Racing hurriedly procured a new lead-acid and saved my weekend!

Candidly my fuel gauge gets a bit confused when it is low and we ended up with too much fuel also (half a tank). So the car could have been quite a bit lighter between that and the battery. If I'd ordered it without all the heavy options the car and not added a roll bar, the car could be 100-150lbs lighter!!
Old 07-03-2012 | 11:55 AM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by senna
Thanks for posting. Great video... Did you collect the $500 from the Viper driver?
I did indeed beat him. His best was a 1:34.2 which was his personal best. We've agreed that he'll pay up in crisp hundred dollar bills....
Old 07-03-2012 | 12:26 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did indeed beat him. His best was a 1:34.2 which was his personal best. We've agreed that he'll pay up in crisp hundred dollar bills....
Haha, that is awesome. Is the acr stock? Tires? Rematch?
Old 07-03-2012 | 02:26 PM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
Haha, that is awesome. Is the acr stock? Tires? Rematch?
ACR Hardcore 1:33 edition with 4-way Penske shocks, power upgrades, Stop-Tech brakes, huge CF splitter, Hoosier R6 295/345

We'll have a rematch at POC Laguna in August. But I'm actually thinking I should propose a standing challenge to all Porsche owners:

$500 prize to anyone who can beat my time in a street 911 (any street legal version) with Hoosier R6 tyres. Aero, suspension & engine must be stock. Safety and brakes are free. Video and official timing are required to be published. Obviously GT2 (RS) owners have the biggest potential. If you beat me on video, we'll setup a head-to-head shoot-out (which will be a huge amount of fun!), where we'll wager another $1000 for the winner!!

Do you think they'd be any takers? We can call it "The Porsche Laguna Challenge"!

Thoughts?
Old 07-03-2012 | 02:33 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Barman! More
Old 07-03-2012 | 02:39 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

ACR Hardcore 1:33 edition with 4-way Penske shocks, power upgrades, Stop-Tech brakes, huge CF splitter, Hoosier R6 295/345

We'll have a rematch at POC Laguna in August. But I'm actually thinking I should propose a standing challenge to all Porsche owners:

$500 prize to anyone who can beat my time in a street 911 (any street legal version) with Hoosier R6 tyres. Aero, suspension & engine must be stock. Safety and brakes are free. Video and official timing are required to be published. Obviously GT2 (RS) owners have the biggest potential. If you beat me on video, we'll setup a head-to-head shoot-out (which will be a huge amount of fun!), where we'll wager another $1000 for the winner!!

Do you think they'd be any takers? We can call it "The Porsche Laguna Challenge"!

Thoughts?
Your only other challenges would come from other RS 4.0s and GT2 RSs. I don't know of many people that avidly track GT2 RSs though.

Kind of an unfair bet when you already have the best track car ever produced by Porsche.
Old 07-03-2012 | 02:51 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Serge944
Your only other challenges would come from other RS 4.0s and GT2 RSs. I don't know of many people that avidly track GT2 RSs though.

Kind of an unfair bet when you already have the best track car ever produced by Porsche.
+1

The 4.0 RS comes with some pretty good DF, so saying stock aero puts pretty much every other street car Porsche at (even more of a) disadvantage. Aero should be free unless it's a GT2 RS. Other than that just go weight/power ratio for equality. WHP/Race Weight and street legal.

Otherwise there won't any competition.

Heck, Jame's Sofronas's brothers yellow 996 GT3 stripper "only" ran a second or so faster on slicks. I don't think any street Porsche's are running those types of times there (not that I've seen).

Thoughts?
You like those wagers don't ya........ hahaha

Trying to start a side hustle?

I think you'll be hard pressed to find even race car Porsche's short of cup cars that are in that ballpark. But I do like seeing you beat up on some Vipers, next up add some Corvette's and GT-R's to the list.
Old 07-03-2012 | 03:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 786 Posts

I should propose a standing challenge to all Porsche owners:

Thoughts?
"Aero, suspension & engine must be stock." They exist? I never seen one in the hands of a fast drover.

Originally Posted by wanna911
+1

The 4.0 RS comes with some pretty good DF, so saying stock aero puts pretty much every other street car Porsche at (even more of a) disadvantage. Aero should be free unless it's a GT2 RS. Other than that just go weight/power ratio for equality. WHP/Race Weight and street legal.

Otherwise there won't any competition.

Heck, Jame's Sofronas's brothers yellow 996 GT3 stripper "only" ran a second or so faster on slicks. I don't think any street Porsche's are running those types of times there (not that I've seen).

You like those wagers don't ya........ hahaha
Trying to start a side hustle?

I think you'll be hard pressed to find even race car Porsche's short of cup cars that are in that ballpark.
It would take a very talented 4.0 drover like Jesse, or someone with a 4.0after thousands of laps there.

Or a GT2RS.

Either way, I don't see many takers anytime soon, some 4.0 and Gt2RS west coasters are ordering a Gurney flap and CUP lip right now to have an excuse LOL.
Old 07-03-2012 | 03:13 PM
wanna911
Race Car

HAHAHAH self DQ
Old 07-03-2012 | 03:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 786 Posts

I'd take that bet in a heartbeat.

I mean I am so glad I don't own a stock 4.0 or GT2RS

Quick Reply: Fast 4.0 at Laguna Seca this weekend