Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Peter - any updates?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:29 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

I'm making offers.
Just spent all night refreshing screens.

I have a few private sellers being contacted via, via or directly, I am confident still that one will sell me a 4.0 or in a week I will pretty much know all available.. I'm on it.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'm making offers.
Just spent all night refreshing screens.

I have a few private sellers being contacted via, via or directly, I am confident still that one will sell me a 4.0 or in a week I will pretty much know all available.. I'm on it.
Dude ... you're speaking in tongues ... ch-lax ... it's a buyer's market ... 10% off base msrp will suffice.

The illusion of high prices is a short term distortion created by dealers holding their collective breaths and hoping for a quick gouge into summer sucker buyers. History tells us that no Porsche has ever held its resale value, let alone gained appreciable value. The 4.0 RS will be no exception. It's a sad state of affairs, but there it is.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
History tells us that no Porsche has ever held its resale value, let alone gained appreciable value. The 4.0 RS will be no exception.
356, 550, 959, 914/6, 916 some 930s... There are a few that hold/gain value. Of the new Porsches, I'd say the 4.0 has the best chance to make it into this group.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:35 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Dude ... you're speaking in tongues ... ch-lax ... it's a buyer's market ... 10% off base msrp will suffice.

The illusion of high prices is a short term distortion created by dealers holding their collective breaths and hoping for a quick gouge into summer sucker buyers. History tells us that no Porsche has ever held its resale value, let alone gained appreciable value. The 4.0 RS will be no exception. It's a sad state of affairs, but there it is.
Sold. send me the info. I can only Ch-lax for another 2 weeks.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I keep telling him not to waste his money

Cars are not an investment.......espicially if you whip them at the track
Old 05-16-2012, 11:42 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Maybe we should start out by renting a CUP car for a weekend before you start all this CUP car talk.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
356, 550, 959, 914/6, 916 some 930s... There are a few that hold/gain value. Of the new Porsches, I'd say the 4.0 has the best chance to make it into this group.
You're not comparing apples to AAPLs. The same thoughts were there for the GT2 RS, 997.1 RS, Carrera GT, 993 Turbo S, 964 Turbo S, all the "collectible" editions of all manner of Porsche -- nothing has become "investment grade." Sure, there's one-off's and "provenance" cars with racing pedigrees, but no, there's never been a Porsche that created appreciable gains. Even a mint, undriven '73 RS barely holds value against inflation. That's literally less than a one-in-a-million shot.

That said, I would be happy to see the RS 4.0 "make it" as you say, but there's just no precedent. The good fortune of the RS 4.0 would come at the expense of the 991 becoming an unloved pig -- the group of air-head morons gleefully comparing the 991 Carrera to the best of the 997 GT3 cars would have a collective circle-jerk to see the 991 fail but that would be at the expense of Porsche itself. I think it's reasonable to expect the 991 will become a great platform for racing and it will earn its place.

All that said, Mr TRAKCAR is one of the few buying the RS 4.0 to drive it and I respect his track focus. He's been a well-reasoned voice debating both pluses and minuses of the 4.0, so I don't purport to be opening his eyes to the reality of the situation -- driving a US$200K car on track is not for the faint of heart.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 AM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

^ That seems to be the better alternative. Or, buy a CUP car to play with until the 991RS comes out. You just need something temporary.

After this track season, my 3.8 RS will be for sale also. Then wait it out a year and see what unfolds.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Maybe we should start out by renting a CUP car for a weekend before you start all this CUP car talk.
I think you're a prime candidate for a Cup. You could drive it for a season and sell it for less than the sales tax (in California) on a 4.0 ... : )

Sold. send me the info. I can only Ch-lax for another 2 weeks.
Sadly, I don't think two weeks will play out this market. Nor two months. But by winter, then I would be confident of a different complexion.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

no need to rent one, ive driven one already......996 Cup

it is fantastic

This is my worry for you....or me. we are pushing our 3.8RS to 10/10ths at times. Your wooden shoe head wont listen when I tell you to put a full cage in your car before you get hurt

4.0 or .2 RS is going to turn 2:15s or lower at Sebrintg depending on tires........that is too quick without a cage

Cup comes with cage

Last edited by Izzone; 05-16-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

All that said, Mr TRAKCAR is one of the few buying the RS 4.0 to drive it and I respect his track focus. He's been a well-reasoned voice debating both pluses and minuses of the 4.0, so I don't purport to be opening his eyes to the reality of the situation -- driving a US$200K car on track is not for the faint of heart.
And usually you point out that $200K is really $270K before tax. Are you going soft on me?

I wonder what Orbit would charge me to hand me a CUP with mechanic for 4 weeks for mancation?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

And usually you point out that $200K is really $270K before tax. Are you going soft on me?

I wonder what Orbit would charge me to hand me a CUP with mechanic for 4 weeks for mancation?
Soft? No. Maybe co-dependent?

I'd suggest you talk with Bob Brooks. I'm sure he has access to teams and cars. Maybe he can help sort out a ride for the year. Getting into a managed car for for a week or month tends to be jaw-droppingly expensive (to state the obvious) but working out a program for the 2012 season at this stage, I'd be optimistic of finding a shop that would bring in another customer at a "teaser" rate to get them hooked on the value of the experience. There's even lateral alternatives like a month at the ring in a caged 911 that wouldn't be out of the budget compared to buying a 4.0 RS and beginning the process again.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

997 cup is $3,000 an hour plus tires and race gas
Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

It would boggle your mind.

EDIT: a better alternative might be buying a 6 Cup, with spares, and hauling it on your vacation, then selling it afterwards.

MGM has an early 6 Cup that they rent, not sure the price, but it's gonna be a lot less than a 7.

Originally Posted by Izzone
997 cup is $3,000 an hour plus tires and race gas
IIRC, this fully amortized figure includes all consumables, and also figures a 50 hour engine & tranny rebuild interval;, which is rather short....but in line with a lot of first time 7 Cup drivers.

I'd suggest you talk with Bob Brooks. I'm sure he has access to teams and cars. Maybe he can help sort out a ride for the year. Getting into a managed car for for a week or month tends to be jaw-droppingly expensive (to state the obvious) but working out a program for the 2012 season at this stage, I'd be optimistic of finding a shop that would bring in another customer at a "teaser" rate to get them hooked on the value of the experience. There's even lateral alternatives like a month at the ring in a caged 911 that wouldn't be out of the budget compared to buying a 4.0 RS and beginning the process again.
+1

Quick Reply: Any 4.0's for sale?