Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Don't hate me, I got a GTR

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:26 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hah - this is funny. Yet again - I feel justified to respond - cause I had a well setup 07 GT3 (sold), currently have a 2004 Cup and Yes a 2010 GT-R. Why the GT-R? Well for street use - after $70K + 5K of parts and protune makes 555whp, 1/4 mile traps 128MPH, I cannot aford a Turbo S and it is a hoot for stop light drags. It will hold a set of gold clubs and wife can drive since no stick.

Now how does it compare to the street GT3? Its not a Porsche period. By that I mean the looks, feel, quality, ride and especially that sublime steering of the GT3 is far beyond the GT-R. However for street use you cannot beat a turbo charged car. GT-R is a sledghammer while the GT-3 is a scalpel. Also after 5 or more hard laps the Gt-R will overheat the tranny, GT3 just goes and goes.

How does it comapre to the Cup: I drove the GT-R first time on track at Roebling after hopping out of my Cup. The GT-R felt huge, heavy and tall like sitting in a pick-up. I hated the feel... but you can toss this thing around and the nannies will save you every time. Very confidence inspriring cause you know its not going to bite you big. Its an effective ride but not rewarding. The GT3 needs setup but If you can drive a GT3 well then you have arrived as a driver. For a novice a faster time in a GT-R does not mean your a good driver, it does not ask as much nor does it reward.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:40 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just getting caught up... Let me ask a question about the only thing in the opening post that interests me:

So am I to believe that Indian, Asian and Hispanic women are more "exclusive"?
Please elaborate

Thank you
Old 03-27-2012, 02:52 PM
naka
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Tough crowd indeed.

I'm sorry I offended you guys.

I've been reading this forum for more than 10 years. But never dared becoming a member since I couldn't even afford a Porsche. But the fact that I didn't register 10 years ago, doesn't make me unworthy of posting. Or does it?

I only became a member recently when I started researching the possibility of finally purchasing one. So I needed to ask questions.

I subconciously felt part of the group (even though I realize now I'm not at all). Just never wrote much. Just read and learned. Read and learn. No point of writing if I have never driven one.

So I posted here because this is the forum that I used to read all the time. Where I felt at "home". I never thought I would hurt sensibilities by doing so.

For the record. I never said the GT3 was slow or the GTR better. Because I don't think they are.

Which one do I think is the BETTER overall car? The GT3.

Which one do I think is the BETTER TRACK car? The GT3.

Which one do I think is the better STREET car? The GTR.

As stated before, they don't even compare. Two different markets. Really.

I didn't get the GTR because it's the better car (because it is not). But because it has 4 seats (I have twins), AWD for the winter, and the transmission or engine repairs are about a 1/3 of the cost of a GT3's. And, it doesn't hurt that it can keep up with the best Porsche has to offer (for a lap). Despite being a heavy pig.

If I was looking for a dual-purpose car, the GTR would've not even been an option to begin with.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

LOL.....thanks. I needed a good laugh during my late lunch.

ps. Seth, you took my example before I had a chance to post it! I LOVE IT
Old 03-27-2012, 03:00 PM
naka
Track Day

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3

So am I to believe that Indian, Asian and Hispanic women are more "exclusive"?
Please elaborate

Thank you
Sorry, I didn't mean it as a racial slur. I meant "exclusive" as in "rare". Just to make an analogy.

If you live in the midwest (as I do), those races are more "rare".

If you lived in South America or Asia, black and caucasians would be more "exclusive" (meaning "rare")

If you lived in Africa, then Asian, Hispanics and caucasians would be more "exclusive" ("or rare") and so on.

Maybe "exclusive" wasn't the proper term, but I was thinking more about cars and was trying to extrapolate. My apologies to any person who felt insulted by my analogy. I'm a minority myself and didn't feel I was being offensive.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:00 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey Naka - enjoy it for what it is, I do mine. Take it to TopSpeed in Alpharetta Ga and have them tune it if not already. A massive difference, thing is a rocket and they said mine is mild....
Old 03-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

ALL OF YOUR CARS DO NOT REQUIRE ENOUGH DRIVER INVOLVEMENT.

YABA DABA DO!

Old 03-27-2012, 03:09 PM
AMGfan
Rennlist Member

Man...tough crowd...but what did you really expect? It is a GT3 forum and the GTR isn't for everybody. The debate over driver's car vs playstation car will always be there with the GTR especially when comparing it with a road racing car like the GT3...and as expected you got lambasted.

I personally like variety and will probably get a GT3 for the garage. But if you expected empathy, respect, or niceties from the majority of this sub-forum than your expectations need to be adjusted. I own a GTR and I didn't have to read past your thread heading to know what kind of responses you would have gotten...

Whatever you get...good luck and enjoy it in good health.

Jon
Old 03-27-2012, 03:16 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

It is hard to explain to someone how it is to own and drive a GT3. I can see your argument over the GTR, but I think you made a choice without facts. Maybe it is your opinion, but that car is so heavy. I am surprized you don't see that as an issue. Maybe I am getting old and the video game generation is lost.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:20 PM
AMGfan
Rennlist Member

Senna...The GTR will never be a GT3 in terms of driver involvement. That being said...the 2012 and 2013 models are less "playstation" than you think and with the nanny aids off less so. The comparison really isn't there...the more relevant comparison is with the Turbo S.

They are both thrilling in different ways for different people. I love variety and enjoying my 993tt with only 440hp is just as fun to me as my GTR with 1300awhp...
Old 03-27-2012, 03:38 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AMGfan
Senna...The GTR will never be a GT3 in terms of driver involvement. That being said...the 2012 and 2013 models are less "playstation" than you think and with the nanny aids off less so. The comparison really isn't there...the more relevant comparison is with the Turbo S.

They are both thrilling in different ways for different people. I love variety and enjoying my 993tt with only 440hp is just as fun to me as my GTR with 1300awhp...
That was my point, it never be. Also, how much does it weight? Exactly!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:40 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Should've kept trolling and not posting. Lol
Old 03-27-2012, 03:43 PM
AMGfan
Rennlist Member

Senna...my 2012 is about 3800lbs...
Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

GT3: no AWD, no rear seats, no auto tranny.

Kia Sorento has AWD, rear seats and auto tranny. Sorento is cheaper to repair than GT3. Sorento fits triplets in case you have some.

Which one do I think is the better STREET car? The Sorento.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:02 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gstahl
GT3 versus GTR at Thunderhill this past weekend at the PCA-GGR DE/TT event....

Drove my GT3 (stock engine, suspension, on Hoosiers... PCA-GGR TT4 class) against two GTR's (which seem to have at least a nominal set of track specific upgrades and ran on what appeared to be new Pirelli race slicks) this past weekend at Thunderhill. Beat both of them...

Street tire to street tire (ran in wet one day and drying conditions the next) it seemed, from our timings, that we were pretty easily a few seconds minimum ahead. Which is interesting as I thought the GTR would be great in the rain.

In the PCA time trial (which is a more true measure of their track best versus ours) we beat the fastest GTR by about 1 second. While the driver is main factor this is definitely no a slouch versus a pro driver comparison...

I have been driving at the track for 9 months (no prior track experience) and 6 months in my GT3. I turned a 1:58.5 at Thunderhill for the day (CCW without bypass) in the GT3 on Hoosiers.

The fastest GTR was driven by a definitely good driver, my understanding from Texas who is traveling with his friend to maybe 5 track events out West, turned a 1:59 and change in his GTR with Pirelli slicks.

So, GTR faster than GT3? No, I suspect a properly driven GT3 with same relative equipment (stock, modified, etc) on a random (not purposely favoring either car)track is "faster" than a GTR. At least my driect exprience best time versus best time shows that. Maybe, maybe not but the claim that the GTR is "faster" is definitely weak flame bait.

My 2 cents.
You make a good point. Most mag tests of GT3s are factory spec, which we all know means a lot of understeer. A good alignment is worth several seconds on these cars. Maybe the GTR is better from the showroom floor.

Quick Reply: Don't hate me, I got a GTR