Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Don't hate me, I got a GTR

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm busy now, but I'll get back to you. Check my signature. I have a GTR and used to be my daily, now it sits on a dealership waiting for someone to buy it.
The car is good for the money. In my opinion is nice, but all it is, is a fast car.
If it would work at the track, would be a nice option for a all around car.
Can't do what it promisse to.
A monkey can drive it fast.

BTW a lot of us here, can drive our GT3 RS REALLY FAST, probably a second slower than a Pro could.
For those who can't, they enjoy their GT3's as they are challenging cars, and amazing to drive.
For those who can't and are lazy .... well, buy a GTR and you will be fast.... for a few laps.

I elaborate more, as I'm busy at work.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by naka
I guess I misspoke. So please give me the opportunity to clarify.

I wasn't criticizing the RS for being slower. Because we all well know it is a hell of a fast car. Few people can drive the car at its true capabilities. Even experienced track junkies can't (Instructed a few share of them on regular GT3's and so far I haven't seen a single one, even instructors, driving it at its edge. So I'm still waiting for a ride with Seth). And even though it's been driven at 7/10th, it is still as fast as explosive diarrhea.

What I was remarking, is that how come a heavy pig "street" GT be just as fast, without all the aero, and special rubber. It seems as if it defies logic. But not really. It is just good engineering. It is something Porsche excels at, but refuses to use to its full potential.

Yes, I know the the GTR wouldn't last long on the track. As it wasn't designed for it. Even my E46 M3 wouldn't last long on the track without overheating. Again, it is a street car. Not a track car.

And about the "video game" statement, I don't really know. I haven't had the opportunity to run it on the track yet. But Jeremy Clarkson and Chris Harris (big Porsche aficionado) seem to differ with you. And they've driven both in anger.
2 different cars for 2 different customers.

Clarckson is a douche. Harris knows his stuff but its important to gauge his expectations BEFORE he got in the car. He's on this forum so maybe he'll chime in!

For an arrive & drive street/track car, the GT3 is unique. Nothing else comes close. There are faster cars over 1 lap. There are faster cars in a straight line (most V8 anything). There are faster cars through corners (any Lotus, or Xbow, whatever). But that defeats the purpose of these cars.

For a fast street GT car, I'm not sure why you would buy a GT-R. I would buy an R8V10, a 911Turbo, a Merc, a BMW M5, and so on. If I couldn't afford that machinery, I would buy lower variants, but I would not buy a GT-R. On the street, you never use all of a cars abilities so performance differences are meaningless, what does become an issue is comfort, style, prestige, luxury, quality. Obviously performance is important but at that level its safe to say they are about equal.

The GT-R to me is pointless on track. Lots of PS3 technology shoved into a car, big engine with big turbos, big brakes, active everything. May as well do a passenger lap in a 2 seat F1 car, you'd go faster. But then its pointless on the road too. so I think you bought the wrong car.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:00 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I swear, I'm not a troll.
Brings me back some memories. Back in College, this girl that loved dating got drunk and she said something to me "I swear, I'm not a *****".
Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 PM
naka
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adfsouth
Go find a GTR forum and rant about how sad the GT3 is over there....I'm sure they'd love to join in.....
LOL!

No way!! They would agree with me even if I said the car was slow as a Prius!

Besides, the GT3 is not sad. I never said that. Quite the contrary. I will always have a crush on it. I just happened not to agree with the way Porsche is doing things at this current moment. That's all.

PS: The post about the guy who blew his engine and had to pay $65,000 for a new motor because the core was wasted, had a lot to do with my decision, too.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:03 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Brings me back some memories. Back in College, this girl that loved dating got drunk and she said something to me "I swear, I'm not a *****".
She told me the same thing!!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Orbit r
Former Vendor

LOL!

No way!! They would agree with me even if I said the car was slow as a Prius!

Besides, the GT3 is not sad. I never said that. Quite the contrary. I will always have a crush on it. I just happened not to agree with the way Porsche is doing things at this current moment. That's all.

PS: The post about the guy who blew his engine and had to pay $65,000 for a new motor because the core was wasted, had a lot to do with my decision, too.
GTR's are good cars. Porsches are probably one of the most reliable brands out there. Of course problems happen to every brand. Some more than others.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

If you take decisions based on that kind of data, please take a look on how many blown transmissions Nissan never paid, or never covered under warranty.
Transmissions granading left and right, on new and unmolested cars.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

naka, are you thinking that Porsche could build a superior car by using all the tech that the GTR has in it? I can't imagine how much that would cost
Old 03-27-2012, 12:11 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 372 Posts

I went thru the same choice a little less than a year ago. Rented a GT-R for a day and absolutely loved it. Stupid power; great handling if maybe a little uninvolving. Then I drove one at the track and it was the most boring experience I've ever had in a fast car. I test drove a GT3 a couple of weeks later and well...now I'm here.

The GT3 is a very special animal in that it gives so much feedback to its driver. It is also not as easy to drive fast as some other cars but is very rewarding when you finally understand it. I want to be part of the process of driving, not a captive participant of high powered computational prowess. Clarkson and Harris can say whatever they like. At the end of the day, they're not plunking down the money for me to buy it.

Enjoy the GT-R and as someone else said, see you back here in a few years.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

GT-R is designed for the track. In Japan the car can only be driven to the limit on the track, OEM electronics lock it out until the GPS indicates it is at a track.

And I strongly disagree with the lead designer's statement that the two ton mass is irrelevant in regards to performance.

So as a track car it fails. Miserably.
As a street car it is severely compromised- depending on what you want, it sounds like you can live with them.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM
naka
Track Day

Originally Posted by bmardini
2 different cars for 2 different customers.
Agree with your wholeheartedly. I was not in the market for a dual purpose car, but for a weekend GT. So when choosing, I didn't look for a track car. I needed a street car. The GT3 is what I wanted, but not really what I needed (well, I probably did not NEED a 5th car at all, but you know how it goes...)

I have other daily drivers, so comfort was never an issue. Prestige, exclusivity, performance, reliability, all were important.

The R8 was an option too, but for 150k+, it was more than what I'm willing to spend.

The M5. Had one for 6 years. Been there, done that. Time to try different waters.

Turbo. No. As I said before, same compromises in engineering. Between turbo and GT3, the GT3 is a no brainer to me.

I'm sure I'll probably keep drooling every time I see a GT3, but the same would apply if I run into a GTR. Only way to get over a crush, is to "own" it and "ride" it. If I don't like it, I would be cured for life.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

LOL!

LOL! Wait until you have a problem with your GTR and your first trip to the local Nissan dealer to get it fixed. Let us know how all that great engineering is working out for you then. Also the case you are talking about above is from an out of warranty claim. Just wait until the GTR gets out of warranty.

PS: You know you aren't going to catch any slack from any of our friends. Seems you need all the little electrical nannies to keep up with Bill H.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

naka we are all entitled to opinions and preferences. Here are my thoughts on this topic.

GT3, GT2 & RS's are designed specifically for track duty. They include suspension adjustability to suit the drivers abilities. The engine and transmission are designed to withstand the abuse of extended track use. They are also very involving cars which not only makes them fun to drive but it also enhances the track experience. You would see that that there is a huge difference in how fast some of the cars can get around the track and this has more to do with experience and driver capabilities that it has to do with the car. This makes you want to come back for more and continue learning to improve your skills.

The GTR IMHO is more for the driver that doesn't really want the whole track experience. It's incredible capabilities will allow a below average driver to still get around the track very quickly. The car doesn't really require the driver to increase skills and if the driver does increase skills through lessons the results won't be as significant. The driver aids on a GTR do most of the work, the driver simply has to point the car in the right direction. The GTR also doesn't allow suspension adjustability nor can it withstand extended track duty.

Now on a separate note, buying a GT3 for the street doesn't make much sense to me. If you want to get to sixty quickly and still have incredible handling the TT would be the better choice. This brings me to my own personal opinion on this matter. Do you really need to get to sixty that quickly and are you every going to really find the top speed of any of these cars on the street? With exception to a few parts of the world the capabilities of most performance cars can never be realized on the street so what's the point in having it? Bragging rights? What makes it worse is a car that lets the computers create the performance thus reducing any short term excitement. IMHO of course.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Jesus, your completely "that guy".

I hate having conversations with "that guy"....
Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Naka, WHY are you here? Any GT-R forum would be a better place for this discussion

Quick Reply: Don't hate me, I got a GTR