Don't hate me, I got a GTR

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:16 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

Naka,

I'm sorry, but my god are you annoying.

Don't try backtracking now with this humble tone. Your opening post was all about how Porsche didn't do this, and under engineered that, and GTR heavy but better, blah blah. Now your acting like a Porsche purist. Spare me....

The whole point to this thread was to get a rise about of the members. Bottom line is you could have gone about it in a better way. Nobody cares that you like a GTR better. We all love our cars. Hopefully you enjoy yours....
Old 03-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Blah.....Blah.....Blah......Did you say something
LOL, if the GT3 came with a slushbox, he would've bought it. He loves his DCT's....
Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Naka,

I'm sorry, but my god are you annoying.

Don't try backtracking now with this humble tone. Your opening post was all about how Porsche didn't do this, and under engineered that, and GTR heavy but better, blah blah. Now your acting like a Porsche purist. Spare me....

The whole point to this thread was to get a rise about of the members. Bottom line is you could have gone about it in a better way. Nobody cares that you like a GTR better. We all love our cars. Hopefully you enjoy yours....

Hold on Greek. Yes Naka's post wasn't well laid out to appeal to a GT3 crowd but I can vouch for Naka. He is a standup guy who off of this forum would fit in with every one of us on here. I have known Naka since he first started getting into doing DEs, about 10 years ago. We have shared many beers and many stories about cars and racing. I think he is crazy for buying a GTR and I think he will be back here in a year or two saying "Mea Culpa."
Old 03-27-2012, 04:41 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
Why the GT-R? Well for street use - after $70K + 5K of parts and protune makes 555whp, 1/4 mile traps 128MPH, I cannot aford a Turbo S and it is a hoot for stop light drags. It will hold a set of gold clubs and wife can drive since no stick.
Well - there you go - this is a significant disadvantage - no stick, and that means the wife/girlfriend can drive it.

Nope -I like my cars stick, 'cause my fiance can't drive one...
Old 03-27-2012, 04:49 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini
Maybe the GTR is better from the showroom floor.
Well..maybe..

A quick translation from Walter Röhrl's interview to Michalis Georgiadis.

- Have you ever driven the GTR?

-No, never. We will have to buy the car so that I can test it and know for sure how fast it is.
But I remember testing the Scuderia here (Nürburgring) and at the long straight the GTR was 120 meters behind me and after 500 meters, it was touching my rear bumper. And the Scuderia is lighter than the Nissan and has 510HP.
This is purely a matter of horsepower. If the car was really 480HP and weighted 1740Kg it would have been impossible to make theses times here.
Only if you increase the pressure in the turbo and push the output to 600HP..

-So do you really question the way they measured it?

Absolutely. I believe that they used motors with a lot more power. Like I told you about 600HP..

Copyright
DRIVE magazine
June 2009
Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

Seth, fair enough. These kind of threads gets old after a while though. Board seems to be filled with mindless threads, and less with informative posts. No need to justify a purchase. Buy the thing and enjoy it. Why grab a megaphone and be theatrical?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:06 PM
tradervic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was agreeing with everything the OP said until he compared it to dating an Indian girl.

Too soon?

Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

Old 03-27-2012, 06:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

Which one do I think is the BETTER overall car? The GT3.

Which one do I think is the BETTER TRACK car? The GT3.

Which one do I think is the better STREET car? The GTR.

As stated before, they don't even compare. Two different markets. Really.

I didn't get the GTR because it's the better car (because it is not). But because it has 4 seats (I have twins), AWD for the winter, and the transmission or engine repairs are about a 1/3 of the cost of a GT3's. And, it doesn't hurt that it can keep up with the best Porsche has to offer (for a lap). Despite being a heavy pig.

If I was looking for a dual-purpose car, the GTR would've not even been an option to begin with.
You see, I think my RS is much nicer to drive every day then a GTR.
Softer suspension and nice gearbox (when warm).

I get the 4 seats, but the car drives so crappy on the street?
Plus the driving position is only good for, well it's like sitting on a toilet instead of in a car.
I'm thinking any AMG, AudiS or BMW M is a much nicer car for on the street.
So if it must be AWD I guess a BMW 550XI would have been good, or a lightly used S8..

My favorite street cars are AMG's because I can not stand the midget shifted transmissions! And even the smaller ones are way to harsh for street driving..

The black is a bit old, but this is a NICE street car!http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...09221710&Log=0

I sold my GTR on Ebay once I realized it, can you still bring it back?
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 PM
naka
Track Day

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I sold my GTR on Ebay once I realized it, can you still bring it back?
Well said. But at least I know I'm not alone in my craziness. Some of you have made the same "mistake" and came around once you tried it. Meaning, you found the car appealing at some point or another.

I never meant to bash the GT3. I guess I'm just frustrated that Porsche stubbornly refuses to build a Cayman GT3 (or GT2). I'm pretty sure most of the engineers in the company would love to see one built. But the Board members from the Marketing Division just won't allow that to happen. They rather build a 4 times more expensive 960. Meaning, "out of reach".

The thing is, I always wanted to own a GT3. And when I finally had the means, I read and read about it, got disheartened for one reason or another, and ended up buying another car. Stupid. Irrational. Call it as you will. But even I felt I was betraying my heart. But I'm not a teenager anymore. So I didn't follow my heart but my brain. And my brain chose the "sensible" street car, instead of the wild track car. Or so I think.

Had Porsche had a Cayman GT3 out, it would've been way more difficult for my brain to over rule my heart. That is all I'm saying.

It's the guilt that made me write the post. And the anger at Porsche Management. Not the desire to be incendiary. I've seen plenty of you guys getting mad at Porsche a few years back when they decided to build the Cayenne. Or even the Panamera. So I know I'm not the only one who disagrees with the way they handle certain things.

Only time will tell. At the end, it's just a car. In three years, I'll see how right or wrong I was.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by naka
I swear, I'm not a troll.
How about becoming a paid member?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM
sanchezdds
Instructor

No u didn't :-)
Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 PM
tradervic
Instructor

In a 6 lap race, GT3 wins every time...
Old 03-27-2012, 08:20 PM
PoloTurbo
Instructor

Love those gtr vs gt3 thread...

The Kia post made me laugh
Old 03-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
Hah - this is funny. Yet again - I feel justified to respond - cause I had a well setup 07 GT3 (sold), currently have a 2004 Cup and Yes a 2010 GT-R. Why the GT-R? Well for street use - after $70K + 5K of parts and protune makes 555whp, 1/4 mile traps 128MPH, I cannot aford a Turbo S and it is a hoot for stop light drags. It will hold a set of gold clubs and wife can drive since no stick.

Now how does it compare to the street GT3? Its not a Porsche period. By that I mean the looks, feel, quality, ride and especially that sublime steering of the GT3 is far beyond the GT-R. However for street use you cannot beat a turbo charged car. GT-R is a sledghammer while the GT-3 is a scalpel. Also after 5 or more hard laps the Gt-R will overheat the tranny, GT3 just goes and goes.

How does it comapre to the Cup: I drove the GT-R first time on track at Roebling after hopping out of my Cup. The GT-R felt huge, heavy and tall like sitting in a pick-up. I hated the feel... but you can toss this thing around and the nannies will save you every time. Very confidence inspriring cause you know its not going to bite you big. Its an effective ride but not rewarding. The GT3 needs setup but If you can drive a GT3 well then you have arrived as a driver. For a novice a faster time in a GT-R does not mean your a good driver, it does not ask as much nor does it reward.

Off topic, is that Andy Green's shop in your avatar?

Quick Reply: Don't hate me, I got a GTR