Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Don't hate me, I got a GTR

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Don't hate me, in my 16 posts here I feel I've developed such a bond with you guys that I can tell you I bought the GT-R because it was a better car and can now openly discuss my purchase without being a troll.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Porsche answer to the GTR is the 911 Turbo. Not the GT3.

The GTR is powerful and priced right.
The 911 Turbo is powerful and priced high.

The 911 is better driving car between the two no question.

The GT3 it not designed as Porsche's most powerful car. The Nissan GTR is designed as Nissan's most powerful car.

The GT3 is the street version of the CUP car which is designed to be light weight, quick and able to withstand long abuse on the track.
The GT3 is not the fastest street/track car compared to chevy's ZO6 and Viper's ACR etc. but can contend none the less.

The 911 Turbo S with a host of GT2 parts is the winning contender to the GTR but again, at a cost.

The GTR is a well priced car with lots of power but lacks the feel of the ol' 911.....

The GTR is a decent value but i rather the "slower" GT3 now and especially 10 years from now....

My GT3 with lightweight parts, aero and alignment is currently a close match to a GTR on any track for the first 10 laps and a cheater after that
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

How big is the trunk in the GTR?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Brings me back some memories. Back in College, this girl that loved dating got drunk and she said something to me "I swear, I'm not a *****".

LOLLLLLLLLLL
Old 03-27-2012, 01:02 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR
naka, are you thinking that Porsche could build a superior car by using all the tech that the GTR has in it? I can't imagine how much that would cost
?
They are trying to build one. It's called 991. And the playstation aficionados love it.

They need to work on the weight a bit, a few more buttons and 21" wheels ,cause 20" is so yesterday, and it's set. The price difference comes from the Württemberg shield. No problem there.

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
GT-R is designed for the track. In Japan the car can only be driven to the limit on the track, OEM electronics lock it out until the GPS indicates it is at a track.

And I strongly disagree with the lead designer's statement that the two ton mass is irrelevant in regards to performance.

So as a track car it fails. Miserably.
As a street car it is severely compromised- depending on what you want, it sounds like you can live with them.

+1
Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
ethel19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by naka
I swear, I'm not a troll.

My dream car has always been a GT3. And I always drool whenever I see one.

Always wanted one. But I couldn't afford it. So I first owned a Civic, then an S2000. As work improved, I moved up the ladder to an M3 (E36 and E46), and when finally I am ready to make the jump, I made the MISTAKE to start researching.

I know. There is NOTHING wrong about a GT3. I can't criticize it, as it is the car I wanted.

But truth of the matter is, I was in the market for a fast street sports car. With emphasis on "STREET".

So in that regard, I cannot even start comparing the two. Let's face it. The GT3 RS is a TRACK car. Street legal, but a track car non the less.

The GTR is a street car. A fast GT. Not a TRACK car by any means, but a street car.

I did not need a dual purpose car. I already have a track car (stripped, fully caged E36 M3). I needed a fast street car.

The GT3 RS is not really a street car. Big wing, bright colored wheels, look-at-me decals, bucket seats, roll bar, super stiff adjustable suspension.....etc. Come on! Porsche designed that car for the track. Not really for the street.

The thing that got me is that "There is something intrinsically wrong with the 911"

Lightweight. More wing than KFC. Semi-slick R-compound rubber. Tires wider than Rosie O'Donnell. And a $65,000 racing engine...

But a 2-ton STREET car on narrower street tires is faster around a track. A track. Its home turf. A street car beating a track car.

How can this be?!!!

I feel offended by it. How can Porsche let this happen? How can they stubbornly stick to a 1950's design?

It's so sad. Really. Because I really like the GT3. But for the money, I needed a street car that goes fast. Not a track car that can be driven on the street.

The turbo was an option, but more money, and same compromises. Lighter, more rubber, same power, fancy engine, but still a compromise of a car.

Yes, the 911 is more attractive. But have you ever dated a super hot woman that rocks in the private quarters but it can be a "B" if you don't say the right thing (or fail to say anything at all)?

Well, I have. And let me tell you. There are only so many nights you can wake up to next to a super model. It eventually gets old.

The GTR is just different. Like dating an Asian, Indian or Hispanic girl. Not for everybody. But more exclusive. A different kind of beauty. And if they are always sweet and would cook and do laundry for you too, then they instantly become keeper material.

I love the racing heritage and all that. But that's an argument my grandpa would use.

Besides, Nissan is owned by Renault. A company that has DOMINATED Formula 1, the pinnacle of motorsport and automotive engineering excellence for more than 20 years. A category of racing that Porsche could not even afford to participate in (it's been almost 30 years since they participated last).

Renault/Infinitiy/Nissan are the engine suppliers for the current F1 World Chamipions (Red Bull Racing). So, despite making "cheap cars", they have the engineering know-how to make a car go fast.

Porsche does too. So it's a shame they don't put it to good use and build a proper Cayman with 911 power.

Sorry for my rant. I just needed to vent to Porsche. For not building the car I wanted. So I chose to vote with my wallet.

I don't "hate" you. And I hope you have a great time with your GTR. But I must confess I am quite confused as to the point of your thread. So you like the GTR better. Or you've always loved the GT3 or..........whatever. What kind of a response do you really think that you are going to get from a bunch of us that love our GT3's on a Porsche loving website? I really do not understand your point or where you are coming from to post this type of "rant". Go to the Nissan forum and "rant" there. It's free country and all but don't think you are going to be received here with love and kiss's for bagging on a car that we all spent our hard earned money on and really love.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Brings me back some memories. Back in College, this girl that loved dating got drunk and she said something to me "I swear, I'm not a *****".
Haha funny thing is all the reasons mentioned that make the GTR such a great car over the GT3 are the same reasons to justify having sex with a fat chick.

Well she has big ****......

Well she gives good head......

Well fat chicks need loving too.......

Well she was drunk and so was I.......

Well I like riding scooters.........
Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 PM
mepps
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

more power to ya, to each his own, enjoy your new car. but i could never see anyone on here going to a gtr forum explaining or justifying why they bought a gt3 or a rs.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow this thread sure grew fast in a few hours.
Will add 2 cents: the GT-R is fast but it's "fugly". Also like someone said, it's a video game.
Enjoy it, it's your car.

Ranger
Old 03-27-2012, 01:31 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL!

No way!! They would agree with me even if I said the car was slow as a Prius!

Besides, the GT3 is not sad. I never said that. Quite the contrary. I will always have a crush on it. I just happened not to agree with the way Porsche is doing things at this current moment. That's all.

PS: The post about the guy who blew his engine and had to pay $65,000 for a new motor because the core was wasted, had a lot to do with my decision, too.
I wonder if Nissan would have replaced, at their cost, the entire core considering the car was one year out of warranty. I remember when the GTR first came out they weren't even honoring their warranty on their transmissions.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally, this forum has a wealth of useful technical information and good advice. It's populated by reasonable and civilized people. The originator of this post does not deserve to be here, for a number of reasons.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:39 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default funny thread

I swear, I'm not a troll.
I know you aren't....I AM!

...and I want a GT3...
Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

hey naka, are you related to Narain Karthikeyan?

Because he just got bullied on Sunday by Vettel, and young Vettel is tame compared to this crowd.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

There are 2 main camps for GT3 vs. GTR

1. "no replacement for GT3" - appreciate driver connectivity, engineering, and is passionate about precision/refinement

2. "but the GTR is faster" - cares about easiness to drive, straight line power, does not see value in GT3 at the price

This being a GT3 forum, you know where the opinions of this crowd stands.

Nothing wrong with GTR, but to me - it's just not a GT3. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:09 PM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

GT3 versus GTR at Thunderhill this past weekend at the PCA-GGR DE/TT event....

Drove my GT3 (stock engine, suspension, on Hoosiers... PCA-GGR TT4 class) against two GTR's (which seem to have at least a nominal set of track specific upgrades and ran on what appeared to be new Pirelli race slicks) this past weekend at Thunderhill. Beat both of them...

Street tire to street tire (ran in wet one day and drying conditions the next) it seemed, from our timings, that we were pretty easily a few seconds minimum ahead. Which is interesting as I thought the GTR would be great in the rain.

In the PCA time trial (which is a more true measure of their track best versus ours) we beat the fastest GTR by about 1 second. While the driver is main factor this is definitely no a slouch versus a pro driver comparison...

I have been driving at the track for 9 months (no prior track experience) and 6 months in my GT3. I turned a 1:58.5 at Thunderhill for the day (CCW without bypass) in the GT3 on Hoosiers.

The fastest GTR was driven by a definitely good driver, my understanding from Texas who is traveling with his friend to maybe 5 track events out West, turned a 1:59 and change in his GTR with Pirelli slicks.

So, GTR faster than GT3? No, I suspect a properly driven GT3 with same relative equipment (stock, modified, etc) on a random (not purposely favoring either car)track is "faster" than a GTR. At least my driect exprience best time versus best time shows that. Maybe, maybe not but the claim that the GTR is "faster" is definitely weak flame bait.

My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Don't hate me, I got a GTR