Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Re: Helmet purchase-what would you do if you didn't live near a retailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:18 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Helmet purchase-what would you do if you didn't live near a retailer

I need to buy my first helmet. I'll have to mail order it. I've read, even in equal sizes, different manufacturers' helmets don't fit the same...different manufacturers fit different head shapes.

I'm thinking Arai, HJC, or Stilo. I just want to get it right the first time. Appreciate any advice.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

i got all my helmets online. most good racing shops do not mind to send you 2 helmets so you will return one back later with refund. it is the best way to go.

HJC has better ventilation than Arai, imho, i got one last season and absolutely love it, plus you can get it with optional dark glass so you have no need to wear sunglasses. if you have no local shop to try those out just find somebody on a track.
also, if you will measure your head correctly - HJC is spot on size wise.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought mine at Saferacer and of course did not get the first size right, I returned it, no question asked and the second one fitted liek a charm, same thing for the track suit, first one was a tad short, returned and no question aksed sent a new one.

it is a pain to return stuff but you have no choice if there are no shops around you. just buy from a big shop they are jsut so much easier to deal with and faster in dealing with returns.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like we need some links to big race shops (please :-))
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

search this and racing forums, there are plenty of dealers here and most offer some discounts to rennlisters.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:58 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

ogracing.com
Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Apex performance
Old 01-23-2012, 01:24 AM
lopro
Banned

apex seems to have a load of stuff. Cant go wrong.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:48 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 78 Posts

where are u located?

look into Stand 21 too. if u're in Cali they have an office where they can custom measure ur head. that's the best way to do it.

Stilo is cool but expensive. if u don't plan to use electronic i think it's overkill. they do make one really light helmet. called the ZERO i think. it's badass.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts

We've got a large stock of Arai. HJC and Bell in house at OG Racing. You can get a basic idea of your size by taking a measurement, but given that all our heads are shaped a little different, certain helmet brands fit better on certain heads. Have an assistant use a measuring tape, or a piece of string to measure the circumference of your head starting at a point approximately one inch above the eyebrows in front, around a point in the back of the head that results in the largest possible measurement, and finally wrapping back to the front. It is a good idea to take several measurements to make sure you have the largest one.

If you have any questions, please give us a call at 800.934.9112 and one of our staff will be happy to assist you.

Kind regards,
Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 PM
lopro
Banned

stilo remind me of some starwars helmet.haha. It's just pointless opinion of mine. Sorry

I think the Bell or Stand21, Arai are nice. I hear lots of great things about the ARAI GP6 or GP6 RC (carbon)

I have been researching helmets lots recently because I needed a new one and I have these links to contribute. Maybe none them will be useful to you but they are some of the things that most intertested me.
i know your not looking for helmet painting but many of these people who deal with painting sell helmets and could offer a deal with the paint price. Also I figured they are just helmet related and hopfully would interest you aswell. Well, I hope this help Good luck. Number one thing ive heard from everyone was dont buy online as its your head and the helmet needs to fit corectly. Best of luck to you. Research is key.

http://www.thebellstore.com/Auto/pro.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ml#post9102333

Company painting Vittel's helmets, Amung other top pros. http://www.jmd.de/neu/

One of, If not the best painter in USA. He also sells helmets and they arent bad prices.
http://www.censportgfx.com/custompaint.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...r-rated-4.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-painting.html
Old 01-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I like my Arai.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:38 PM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

when i was looking for my helmet, I went to a motocycle shop that sold HJC's...they were happy to let me try the cycle helmets and even helped me with the fitting (same fit/sizing between auto/cycle), then ordered the auto helmet on-line...fit perfect...
Old 01-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

www.winecountrymotorsports.com ...

I love my HJC HX-10; the HX-10 II is supposed to be coming, been thinking about a Porsche Motorsport helmet from Stand 21 ...
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

I just picked up a Stilo from Saferace (they source from HMS motorsports). No local shop sold them so orderred without fitment. They run small, so had to send it back. They sent another real quick. Helmet is super light, great fit/quality, and can order with built in electronics and drink system. Highly recommend.

Originally Posted by lopro
stilo remind me of some starwars helmet.haha. It's just pointless opinion of mine. Sorry
[/URL]
Hopefully your not ordering a helmet for how it looks, but how it fits and functions.

Quick Reply: Re: Helmet purchase-what would you do if you didn't live near a retailer