Sponsored by:

Custom Helmet Painting

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:24 PM
nct510
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Custom Helmet Painting

Anybody out there have recommendations as to custom helmet painters in the greater Sacramento area?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be very careful about picking a local artist just because they are local. Insist on seeing examples with up close details. There are too many guys who work at a fraction of the cost, and deliver a fraction of the quality. Don't be afraid to work with some bigger names that are trusted, even though they are farther away.

I would recommend Tyler's company, censport. http://www.censportgfx.com/index.html

Personally, I am trying to work something out with Jens Munser at JMD design. http://www.jmd.de/neu/
(he does a lot of top level FIA racers, most notably, Seb Vettel)

Once mine has been worn out, it will still be pretty enough to put on display, hence I can justify the added cost of a high end paint job.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tyler Cennsport did mine, great work and quick turnaround.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
I would recommend Tyler's company, censport. http://www.censportgfx.com/index.html
That's a +2 for Tyler at Censport.

Our entire transaction was over email. I told him I wanted some basic 70's style stripes, incorporate our company logo, and done in flat paint. After a few revisions we settled on the design you see below.

The quality of the work is stellar.

Our design is simple in the grand scheme of things, but if you will look at some of his other work, you will see he does some incredible stuff. He can do it all...from mild to wild.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:31 AM
kfyork
Advanced

+1 to Rich's thoughts above. Been there, done that...

I agree too that Tyler at CennSport does great work.

However, I'd recommend the helmet painter that we use:
Painting a helmet is not something to be taken lightly. We pay lots of money for the lid, why screw it up with someone doing poor work on it?

Due diligence is of paramount importance here. (As it is in most things I suppose...)

Good luck!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:53 AM
dmwhite
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
I would be very careful about picking a local artist just because they are local. Insist on seeing examples with up close details.
QFT!

go for quality, not location...

i've had helmets done by tyler at censport and mike savage (savage design) and reccommend both of them...both put out top quality work and are great to work with

all of our drivers this past season wore helmets painted by savage...
Old 12-15-2010, 11:06 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

how much do you guys pay on average for a paint job?

Trending Topics

Old 12-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've lined up helmets from all the top painters and looked at them one right after another. Consistently the best finished ones have been from Indocil Art. I think that any of the top guys are truly great artists and will be able to make any helmet look good but the little detail work is what really impressed me with Indocil.

Cost for helmets is so dependant on what you want in my experience Fred. I've had one helmet painted by a local guy that was 140 bucks and while it was okay, the details were really rough. As for the folks like Indocil and Censport and others I believe they start around 400ish and go up from their. IIRC the most helmets price out in the 6-900 range as most people don't want the simple helmets of yesteryear and like helmets that look like current top drivers.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:14 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

Cost for helmets is so dependant on what you want in my experience Fred. I've had one helmet painted by a local guy that was 140 bucks and while it was okay, the details were really rough. As for the folks like Indocil and Censport and others I believe they start around 400ish and go up from their. IIRC the most helmets price out in the 6-900 range as most people don't want the simple helmets of yesteryear and like helmets that look like current top drivers.
thanks. Just wanted to make sure that the job i am currently getting done is competitively priced. Great info.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Those prices are very much ballpark from remembering conversations I've had in the past few years. Most guys are pretty similar with only a few being super high (because of their name) or super low (because it's a hobby and not a job)
Old 12-15-2010, 11:25 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Good timing of this thread. I had several saved in a Favorites folder. Checked it recently and most are not to be found.

When my 2010 Arai comes in I'm going to have it painted. Definitely looking at Censport and Idocil. There is a local that Stand 21 uses. I may check them out too. It would be nice to discuss design face to face with artist.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kfyork

Painting a helmet is not something to be taken lightly. We pay lots of money for the lid, why screw it up with someone doing poor work on it?

Ironically the cost of a high quality custom paint job is usually more than the cost of the helmet itself, sometimes a lot more.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:46 PM
nct510
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:48 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

On the subject of custom painted helmets - anyone ever do vinyl graphics or know of a company that can do these?
Old 12-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

A full vinyl wrap or just some vinyl work on the helmet?

Quick Reply: Custom Helmet Painting