Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

48hoursofsebring.com 2012

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

There is mucho peligro EVERYWHERE at Sebring. That is a given. This is a dangerous sport, and moreso in uncaged cars.

I don't advocate folks do stupid crap that puts them and others in danger, because I don't want to be in their right seat when they do. However, sometimes our comfort zones are just that. It is very easy to repeatedly reconfirm our comfort zones. Sometimes wacky thinking can yield wildly productive results, such as what Gavin and I apparently do (sometimes) in Bishops.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Lori3657
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even at slower laptimes at least you drove the car yourself instead of just setting the switch to "sebring"
You are piling on the Sebring laps and plenty of rabbits to chase

I suspect you might have more fun, more feeling in the 3RS than Fiat.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Easy to carry more speed in bishops, cut over 2nd left side gator so far left that right tire is on it. Flat foot bishops all the way and then u have straight shot into braking for right turn. Got that from folwing gavin at 48. Amazing.
Somehow I can only do that in the dark; Weird. Maybe not seeing and only feeling the car being plated makes it work I dunno.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
There is mucho peligro EVERYWHERE at Sebring. That is a given. This is a dangerous sport, and moreso in uncaged cars.

I don't advocate folks do stupid crap that puts them and others in danger, because I don't want to be in their right seat when they do. However, sometimes our comfort zones are just that. It is very easy to repeatedly reconfirm our comfort zones. Sometimes wacky thinking can yield wildly productive results, such as what Gavin and I apparently do (sometimes) in Bishops.
I looked at Chris Hall Data and Randy data through Bishop's and T15 a and b and it seems hat Randy has got it nailed without beating my time. Yet. I think my car had better time when I did my hero lap.

He's an engineer and actually listens and believes in coaches AND can do what they tell him. I believe and listen, just cant override old habits and precieved limits ;-)

Guess I need more coaching then he does, he's coming for me...
Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Somehow I can only do that in the dark; Weird. Maybe not seeing and only feeling the car being plated makes it work I dunno.

I looked at Chris Hall Data and Randy data through Bishop's and T15 a and b and it seems hat Randy has got it nailed without beating my time. Yet. I think my car had better time when I did my hero lap.

He's an engineer and actually listens and believes in coaches AND can do what they tell him. I believe and listen, just cant override old habits and precieved limits ;-)

Guess I need more coaching then he does, he's coming for me...
I am not too good at hero (qualifying) laps

But good at repeating the same thing, taking it slightly faster each time,inch by inch

Yes, I listen to coaches word for word....and for some reason I don't annoy Gavin with my constant questions. I believe Gavin knows Sebring as good as anyone.

You deal with a rotating beetle better than me, so I'm slow to speed. A sideways car is a slow car.....but looks cool on RL

My biggest advantage was Chris hall teaching me how to compare velocity /time graphs to segment data. Sometimes the corner u feel fastest is ur slowest and vise versa

Without proper data analysis it's driving in dark

After every session I download and compare

Lol....and I am coming for u, need to humble the rennlist superstar
Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Don't get me wrong: I am just playing devil's advocate here, but based on experience. However, I have had a gander at a bit of the data here, and the one lap (not Randy's fastest, but only slower by 0.2 seconds) where he does the least throttle bobbling in Bishops also happens to be where he (a) has his highest top speed, by a fair margin, in Bishops in that entire session, and (b) had his highest minimum speed after braking for 15 (meaning the highest entry speed for 15).

These are not coincidences. This one lap was a marked improvement in that area (slower in others, hence a 0.2 second slower overall lap time).

My point still stands: a more stable platform there means more speed attained & less braking needed for 15. One way to get a more stable platform in Bishops, in a 997.2 RS, is to short shift to 5th gear at the first gators on the right side after exiting 13, providing you are fast fast fast on your double downshifts in 15....
Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Don't get me wrong: I am just playing devil's advocate here, but based on experience. However, I have had a gander at a bit of the data here, and the one lap (not his fastest, but only slower by 0.2 seconds) where he does the least throttle bobbling in Bishops also happens to be where he (a) has his highest top speed, by a fair margin, in Bishops in that entire session, and (b) had his highest minimum speed after braking for 15 (meaning the highest entry speed for 15).

These are not coincidences. This one lap was a marked improvement in that area (slower in others, hence a 0.2 second slower overall lap time).

My point still stands: a more stable platform there means more speed attained & less braking needed for 15. One way to get a more stable platform in Bishops, in a 997.2 RS, is to short shift to 5th gear at the first gators on the right side after exiting 13, providing you are fast fast fast on your double downshifts in 15....
I'm at Sebring in two weeks

I'll take data both ways, and not lift

I'll email u the data and see how it looks, I hate shifting, so in the de world I can catch most at mid 120 clip in 4th.....but the car is bound up with th high rpm. 5th is much safer
Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get me wrong: I am just playing devil's advocate here, but based on experience. However, I have had a gander at a bit of the data here, and the one lap (not Randy's fastest, but only slower by 0.2 seconds) where he does the least throttle bobbling in Bishops also happens to be where he (a) has his highest top speed, by a fair margin, in Bishops in that entire session, and (b) had his highest minimum speed after braking for 15 (meaning the highest entry speed for 15).

From your experience and opinion, what is a good lap time on a .2RS on RA-1 ?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
I believe that depends on time of year for ra1 they melt in the heat

Winter fest was crazy fast

Pca48 a bit slower

Slower as the year progresses
Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

I didn't have the car to go for lap times in Winterfest. The only decent session I had I got a 2;20, too much time left.
48hs was fast, but again, I only got a few laps in the AM on Saturday, multiples 2:20 and 2:19s ...
Old 02-13-2012, 12:56 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Have I sent you my data?

2:1899

I didn't have the car to go for lap times in Winterfest. The only decent session I had I got a 2;20, too much time left.
48hs was fast, but again, I only got a few laps in the AM on Saturday, multiples 2:20 and 2:19s ...
You should be a pro..

P.S. replace puppy data. This one too depressing..
Old 02-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

No you didn't Peter. Feel free any time: dave@racecoach.net
Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Have I sent you my data?

2:1899

You should be a pro..

P.S. replace puppy data. This one too depressing..
*&^%^&*(*&^%^&*...

got the picture ???

Old 02-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
I'm at Sebring in two weeks

I'll take data both ways, and not lift

I'll email u the data and see how it looks, I hate shifting, so in the de world I can catch most at mid 120 clip in 4th.....but the car is bound up with th high rpm. 5th is much safer
Awesome! Send me data any time, Randy! And I hear you about hating shifting--I generally agree, and like to minimize work & busyness in the car. There are occasional exceptions, and this is IMHO one of them.

Eddie, I think 2:18 is very good, especially for an uncaged car. I think, with the right track rubbering, a nice cool sunny day, and totally new shaved RA1's, a 15 or 16 is there in a caged (read: safer & stiffer) car. IMO the big chunks of time are still in the entries of 17 and 1, with a bit in some other areas as well.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

If we grow a pair, T1 ;-)
Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
You can cut the gator, but it unsettles the car and you could spin
Cutting the second gator on the left by as much as I do (copying Gavin) does not unsettle the car. It actually makes it a lot LESS unsettled because it straightens the curve - you have a STRAIGHT braking zone instead of the sloppy other way. And after braking the car is pointed in the correct direction for the next entry.

Quick Reply: 48hoursofsebring.com 2012