Buying 997.2 GT3 vs GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:30 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RS77
In this group there aren't going to be too many people who will talk you out of putting the pedal to the floor. I've had 996 and 997 GT3s and now a .2 RS. I got the RS as I wanted the best track car I could get and still drive it to and from the track (it has a half cage) as I live in an urban area where it isn't practical to park tow vehicles etc. for that purpose, the .2 RS is a superb car (though expect the upcoming Camaro ZL1 might be just as entertaining at a fraction of the cost). If you are already tracking the BMW, I'd get a .2 GT3. The car is spectacular just as it is. Except in this rarified air you won't ever hear a bad word about the power or the steel brakes. The .2 is a big improvement over the .1 and the car is rare and aggressive looking. As great as the RS is, the rear wing makes it pretty blind on the streets and as you note, the look-at-me effect is prett hard to avoid, graphics or not. These are all great cars - I'm not convinced you need to pay the premium for an RS car.
Well, I consider the .2 RS to be the ultimate 997. Sure the 4.0 is a step above but its not a full production, sanely priced car. However, in building the .1, .1RS, .2, when Porsche finally did the .2RS they built what is as close to the perfect Gt3 possible. Yes, as RS77 said, you will have people who think it can be better - and they are right, there is no perfect car. But chances are 99% of people on this forum (and I am one of them) have not gotten everything that the car can give on a track.

I agree as well - this forum is mostly an elite, track-focused group who are pretty demanding. But, you came here for our opinion right?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Jean168
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3RS to be or not be

Naka, that was an awesome post. Thank you for the humor! I own an orange 2007 GT3RS and it is the finest to drive. Street and Track! I bought it from Blue Grass Motor Sports in March of 2011 and took it for 10 track days, including Putnam Park in the summer. I am now faced with the decision of keeping this car and drive the **** out of it on the track or buy a GT3 Cup Car? I joined a race track country club called Autobahn in Joliet, Il. I am planning on a lot of time on the track. Either way I am keeping the RS. I just need to decide if I will make a track ***** out of her? Good luck with your decision. Keep us posted
Old 01-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Jean168
2nd Gear

Default GT3RS to be or not be

Naka, that was an awesome post. Thank you for the humor! I own an orange 2007 GT3RS and it is the finest to drive. Street and Track! I bought it from Blue Grass Motor Sports in March of 2011 and took it for 10 track days, including Putnam Park in the summer. I am now faced with the decision of keeping this car and drive the **** out of it on the track or buy a GT3 Cup Car? I joined a race track country club called Autobahn in Joliet, Il. I am planning on a lot of time on the track. Either way I am keeping the RS. I just need to decide if I will make a track ***** out of her? Good luck with your decision. Keep us posted. Thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 03:05 AM
lopro
Banned

very interesting to hear everyones take on the matter. Great thread.

Quick Reply: Buying 997.2 GT3 vs GT3RS