Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thanksgiving week @ Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 PM
FINN987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanksgiving week @ Laguna Seca

Laguna Seca had amazing weather last week with three track events with no wet running in any of them. Tuesday was PCA-GGR; Wednesday HOD and finally Friday was Shelby Club. Only managed to make it there on two out of three days. The organizers ran the events very well and some of us had great trackside support from BR Racing again. Awesome friends were around as well; too bad not everyone was able to make it.

gstahl and myself had our first LS days in our "hand me down" rides from 24Chromium and jmenczer. We tried to do the cars proud, but at least for me, getting anywhere near Jesse's times will be a struggle

Still have "ice brake" issues at T11 (ditto for T14 @ Thunderhill); looking into ways of addressing that without learning a new braking technique.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM
johnboise3
Intermediate

Nice shots! I have no knowledge of the video options, so have a couple questions:
What camera was used, and how do you get the different displays of the track, telemetry, etc.?
Thanks
Old 11-26-2011, 07:00 PM
FINN987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnboise3
Nice shots! I have no knowledge of the video options, so have a couple questions:
What camera was used, and how do you get the different displays of the track, telemetry, etc.?
Thanks!

The first clip is straight out of an AIM SmartyCam with data from EVO4 and an ECU connection.

The second is Traqmate data over footage from a GoPro HD HERO.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:13 PM
gvtesse
Racer

I am looking getting another dq system. Which of the two do you prefer?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:29 PM
FINN987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gvtesse
I am looking getting another dq system. Which of the two do you prefer?
Whatever one started with

Seriously though, it would be excellent to have a real-world comparison of the major data acq systems and their fit for any particular use. Apparently all the pro teams run with MoTeC, but getting even a CDL3 with an i2 Pro license is way more than what a casual weekend warrior budgets for. Porsche Sport Driving School uses Race-Keeper. IMO, AIM has the best ECU-fed data integration. Many, many fellow trackers go with Traqmate since that's what their friends run. Even Harry's LapTimer has become a contender with OBD-II data support.

Personally I'd ditch whatever system I have for the first vendor that has a native, full-featured Mac OS X analysis package with an iOS (iPad + iPhone / iPod Touch) companion app. I don't have my hopes up for anything like that coming up next week at PRI
Old 11-26-2011, 07:34 PM
gvtesse
Racer

Originally Posted by FINN987
Personally I'd ditch whatever system I have for the first vendor that has a native, full-featured Mac OS X analysis package with an iOS (iPad + iPhone / iPod Touch) companion app. I don't have my hopes up for anything like that coming up next week at PRI
Same here. I wish there was a native OSX package.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:51 AM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

It was a fantastic couple of days at Laguna. The first day (Tuesday) was a bit of a problem with sound (have switch, not sure it was working, ended up adding turn ups and ******* it up the hill after 5). In the end, Wednesday was fantastic, car is amazing, really happy with a 1:42 in my 5th day at Laguna and my 4th day overall in the car. Thanks to 24Chromium for setting up a brilliant car, we need to see him back at the track. =)

Last edited by gstahl; 11-30-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:28 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Laguna Seca had amazing weather last week with three track events with no wet running in any of them. Tuesday was PCA-GGR; Wednesday HOD and finally Friday was Shelby Club. Only managed to make it there on two out of three days. The organizers ran the events very well and some of us had great trackside support from BR Racing again. Awesome friends were around as well; too bad not everyone was able to make it.

gstahl and myself had our first LS days in our "hand me down" rides from 24Chromium and jmenczer. We tried to do the cars proud, but at least for me, getting anywhere near Jesse's times will be a struggle

Still have "ice brake" issues at T11 (ditto for T14 @ Thunderhill); looking into ways of addressing that without learning a new braking technique.

http://vimeo.com/32602795

http://vimeo.com/32686511
Nice video and I LOVE LS!! What kind of brakes/pads combo do you have in your ride? Car just did not want to stop at T11 with firm pedal?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 PM
irysfan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A companion video to your fastest lap, captured with a GoPro HD. No wonder I had a hard time keeping up with you :-)

http://youtu.be/7CoOIn3QfJk
Old 12-02-2011, 01:06 PM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by irysfan
A companion video to your fastest lap, captured with a GoPro HD. No wonder I had a hard time keeping up with you :-)

http://youtu.be/7CoOIn3QfJk
Awesome video, great to see two perspectives. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the point by, was definitely the smooth point by and pass that enabled a good lap.

Quick Reply: Thanksgiving week @ Laguna Seca