Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Deputy dog ran 2:23.94 at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 11:57 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is good to know that PCA has common sense and criteria and not everyone can be an instructor.
We have to remember that the instructors Today will teach and give their OK to the drivers that will share the track with us tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Is good to know that PCA has common sense and criteria and not everyone can be an instructor.
We have to remember that the instructors Today will teach and give their OK to the drivers that will share the track with us tomorrow.
Funny thing is they don't check the driver ability of the instructor candidates
Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
They actually do, that's why some don't make it.

Lap times in a fast car do not always align with safe driver.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:19 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

that's my point. They do check driver's ability and capacity of being a safe driver. I believe that being a instructor is a lot more than being fast. That is the whole point.
I really admire the one that has the ***** to seat in the passenger seat, and still have the ability to make us faster and somehow safer.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Being able to instruct a Green or Blue student is not about how fast of a driver you are....Instructing is all about comunication with your student, picking up unsafe driving habbits, controling your student and driving the DE line, not the faster race line. You also under all circumstances be able to make sure the student is being safe and having fun. With out students there is no DE.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:05 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by mdrums
Being able to instruct a Green or Blue student is not about how fast of a driver you are....Instructing is all about comunication with your student, picking up unsafe driving habbits, controling your student and driving the DE line, not the faster race line. You also under all circumstances be able to make sure the student is being safe and having fun. With out students there is no DE.

thanks Mike. Don't forget that at some point we all were green students.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

The traffic in Yellow was so bad I couldn't go lower than 2:30 today and left before the last session. What a waste of my weekend it was
That is a shame, I ran two seperate Yellow sessions with a passenger and had a blast.

The last yellow session was Rad as my passenger and Burke as Nicks passenger. We never got a complete clean lap......but it was the absolute most fun I have had in a while at a DE. I could hear Rad cracking up over the motor sound as we went flat through Bishops and I attempted to stop the car.

If Nick would have only turned on his camera there woudl have been some good footage for the RL crowd
Old 11-14-2011, 09:25 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Izzone...I need a ride flat out through Bishops...I'm so tempted but feel I need the right tires.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:33 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

Exactly, there are slow instructors out there that are very good instructors. As they say those who teach can't ;-).

Some very good drivers can't teach green groups very well, some racers can't coach very well.
And make no mistake with some bad students there is a LOT going on. Traffic, beating up their car, inconsistency in all inputs, they see a buddy coming up and go much faster without informing you, you never know what the they might do in the next corner (I had one that forgot to brake into T1). Some very good drivers are poor instructors because they are looking beyond the obvious beginer stuff like helmets fastened, is the student breathing or squeezing the life out of a steering wheel or simply clash to often with beginners who think they "got it" but are really one solo lap away from wrecking.

Sometimes being a good instructor means getting them to relax and have fun.....

I've had students surprised that I talk them through complete laps. I have heard comments like "my last instructor just wanted to drive fro free that weekend and only said to slow down when I was getting faster" This was not Chin PBOC or PCA BTW, where I think the instructor level is much higher.

Eddie, I think you could enjoy it. Sometimes you get those golden beginners that just have talent or feeling for it. Off course you also get the "advanced" with 10track days that should take up golf and won't listen immediately to your orders.
It is hit and miss, if you are lucky it makes for a very rewarding weekend and you make some new frends, if you got a bad one it can really test your patiens.

Spun once on my own, spun 6x with students..
Some I can really make much better drivers in a weekend, some I just do my best, but really focus on safety.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Izzone...I need a ride flat out through Bishops...I'm so tempted but feel I need the right tires.
I looked at data, Izzone is Bishops KING...

I could hear Rad cracking up over the motor sound as we went flat through Bishops and I attempted to stop the car.
LOL LOL You figuresd that part out as weell huh? Izzone no T15 KING LOLOL
Old 11-14-2011, 09:39 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In NASCAR there is something called drafting. I won't explain it here, if you need to know, buy a PS3 and GT5, read, play, and you will understand the concept.

That Yellow GT3 was drafting a wide body 2010 GT3 RS that is capable to create an empty spot of Zero wind resistance behind.

There is another 0.7 secs on Izzone's RS around Sebring, basic autocross line at T7 and around T10/T11, I will know more when I get his data, but if I were Reter, I would be thinking about buying more cheater parts, because Izzone is getting to the Zone.

A 2:24 lap in the heaviest GT3 ever made (the U.S. version 2007 GT3 with mandatory sunroof), plus extra pendulum weight from a gigantic trailer hitch, is respectable and solid from every standpoint, drafting or not.

I'm now a club member of the "I drove flat out through Bishop"
Old 11-14-2011, 09:59 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

What's big deal with flat out through Bishop's Bend, I do it all the time of course that is in the M3

As for instructing, not for me, I like my down time to unwind and BS. I don't mind riding with others if asked to comment but they have to take my advice with a grain of salt . I do agree you don't have to be the fastest driver to be a good instructor but you do need to know how to drive and communicate. As for advanced groups I see people who should not be there based on their driving abilities, just watch some videos and look at the cars being passed.

Still soldiering on in the intermediate groups mostly.

Peter
Old 11-14-2011, 10:07 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
As for instructing, not for me, I like my down time to unwind and BS. I don't mind riding with others if asked to comment but they have to take my advice with a grain of salt . I do agree you don't have to be the fastest driver to be a good instructor but you do need to know how to drive and communicate. As for advanced groups I see people who should not be there based on their driving abilities, just watch some videos and look at the cars being passed.

Still soldiering on in the intermediate groups mostly.

Peter
I don't really care much about instructing either. I just wanted to get to the next group with extended passing. In PCA Yellow means only passing in the straights
Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stujelly
So what is a good time or consistent time at sebring in the 3.8 gt3-rs??

No BS
Depends on tires, track condition, and weather (how hot it is)

Mid summer on ra1 a 2:24 is a hero lap

Reters 2:20 is a hero lap in the cold
Old 11-14-2011, 10:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

There is another 0.7 secs on Izzone's RS around Sebring, basic autocross line at T7 and around T10/T11, I will know more when I get his data, but if I were Reter, I would be thinking about buying more cheater parts, because Izzone is getting to the Zone.
Rad, I e-mailed you all our data including Chris Hall. Did you get the data? 2 e-mails where I combined all data in one file.

We both ran 2:23's with Chris in the car, Chris by himself ran a 2:21 (First lap out, the rest he had too much traffic) I by myself before coaching the first morning ran a 2:222 TBL was 2:214 in my own car. I am sure that my new tires on Izzones made for a faster car. Hard to know how much faster, but my bet would be that without Chris in the car, with fresher tires in my own car I would for sure have done a 2:21+ and if I got all Chris's instructions executed a maybe even a 2:20+.

Chris says that he would post a 2:19 flat that day in Randy's car with my good tires if he had some room. He said anyone else claiming faster was full of it.

Quick Reply: Deputy dog ran 2:23.94 at Sebring