Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Deputy dog ran 2:23.94 at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Rad that Carrera GT sure didn't walk away from you!

Love you video gauge package....wish Race-Keeper did stuff like that
Old 11-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Geez, this thread makes me want to make the trek to Sebring.

Open passing, no point by...

Our KYPCA instructor group has open passing, with a point by, and I find it to be erratic at times. The worst is when some clown is in the middle of the corner at speed, takes his hand off the wheel to point you by, because he thinks it's cool to give it in the corner. Sure, it helps relieve congestion, but my god, it promotes some really dumb-azz stuff.

Another local group called 10/10ths Motorsports that I instruct with also has open passing (with no point by), and we even do rolling "race starts" to help those who want to go beyond DE's or to simply gain more "situational awareness" on the track. We grid up based on what kind of consistent lap times we run. I find it much more predictable to drive with people who have both hands on the wheel at all times, atleast in the corners, and it helps both parties to maximize speed and technique during "offline" maneuvers. Even when the slower car doesn't "race" you to the corner, they simply give you enough room that you know to take it.

If you race to the corner, and the faster car cannot clear the slower car, then they are expected to try and pass off-line. We allow one defensive line move to try and defend your position, but after that, you still make the faster car earn it, but be sensible and give them space to pass. You'll get the occasional dive-bomber, but that's the whole point, to learn how to handle those situations. Those sessions with the rolling race starts are some of the most fun and intense I've ever had. Of course, I might change my mind on how great it is when I get to take the RS out with them....lol.

There is grip offline, you just have to know how to use it.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:23 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Being able to instruct a Green or Blue student is not about how fast of a driver you are....Instructing is all about comunication with your student, picking up unsafe driving habbits, controling your student and driving the DE line, not the faster race line. You also under all circumstances be able to make sure the student is being safe and having fun. With out students there is no DE.
I do not agree with PCA approach in many ways, to be honest with you. I think PCA is way too obsessed about so called 'safety' and instructors are usually way more obsessed with control than with actual teaching of driving skills.

In my opinion instrructor should teach, not to control. Driver needs to know how to drive any line - rain, race, DE - it is all non-sense. Driver needs to be able to position car properly, adjust speed and balance to take any corner from any position at maximum possible speed without loosing control.

From what i saw so far at DEs it is amazing how many people who get into yellow/blue/white level group do not have a slightest idea of how to control car when it comes close or goes over the limit of loosing grip. at driver meetings all they say about this subject is '2 feet down' and I find it the biggest mistake PCA does. Imho if any DE would include mandatory sessions at skid pad wit people practicing drifting, spin outs and power steering - total majority of problematic situations on a track would not even exist.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:16 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Finally. Video... This whole racekeeper thing is very new to me and it's a little buggy with regards to the software. I did manage to isolate out the two fast (for me anyway) laps. Lap 5 was a 224.xx and Lap 6 was a barely a 223 at 223.94 but I'll take it anyway for bragging rights against the greek I tried to make the video a little longer to show us meandering through traffic, but the RK software was not cooperating. It's probably something I'm doing wrong...

Normally I'm a 2:28-2:30 guy running on RA1's with stock 3 point belts and standard seats with moderate traffic and blazing heat.

In this case I was locked in with sparco's/harnesses and running R6's (15 HC's). The weather was nice, there was no traffic, and it didn't hurt to have Eric as a rabbit The following day was pretty slammed with traffic so I never got below a 2:25

I will say the seats made a huge difference. Being anchored in is so much more relaxing than sliding around in 3 points and stock seats. The tires felt very mediocre on the following day. I really like the hoosiers, but they're not a terribly good value as they were HC'd out after 17 sessions and still had plenty of tread. I'd rather go back to RA1's if I could find them.

I'm still looking forward to reading this entire thread. I've only seen the last couple pages. I can only imagine the smack talk from Randy

Old 11-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Throwing some dirt up in turn 7
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Your video sucks

What is with the start finish line move........nice trick for better time

I shoudl mess with nicks data and see if I can get him better
Old 11-17-2011, 05:24 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Nice bumper. Love the battle scars

Way more dirt on the track out. I'm still finding clay in my helmet.

Where did you get the pic? I never did get the event photographers contact info. They seemed like they knew what they were doing out there. More so than the other ones I've seen.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:29 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
Your video sucks

What is with the start finish line move........nice trick for better time

I shoudl mess with nicks data and see if I can get him better
What's wrong with the video, other than the reflection from the dash? The sun was pretty harsh that time of day and I spent a lot of time in the video going west. Small drawback to having the camera up front.

That's where RK set the S/F when I was going down the track. There's a S/F line button on the idash. It's a lot harder than it looks pushing buttons on an ipod when doing 100 What difference does it make if it's the same spot for the entire session? It's not like I was moving it lap to lap. I wouldn't even know how to move it at this point. I really need some lessons on this thing.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by deputydog95
What's wrong with the video, other than the reflection from the dash? The sun was pretty harsh that time of day and I spent a lot of time in the video going west. Small drawback to having the camera up front.

That's where RK set the S/F when I was going down the track. There's a S/F line button on the idash. It's a lot harder than it looks pushing buttons on an ipod when doing 100 What difference does it make if it's the same spot for the entire session? It's not like I was moving it lap to lap. I wouldn't even know how to move it at this point. I really need some lessons on this thing.
I moved Nick s/f line on his glory lap and got 1/2 second better
Old 11-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Nice bumper. Love the battle scars
After Road Atlanta Giesha is going for a makeover......nice and fresh for winterfest

you will see a different look at Winterfest
Old 11-17-2011, 06:03 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
I moved Nick s/f line on his glory lap and got 1/2 second better
For every lap in the session or just the one? If you're doing a flying start I would think it wouldn't matter where the sf was across a series a laps. And if I'm wrong its still a solid 224
Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Someone in a silver GT3 chasing Giesha.....a little overdriving
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2011, 12:06 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy are you changing your red out as well
Old 11-18-2011, 12:55 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

great lap andrew.....you got some time at bishops...do all yellow cars coast like that

c u dec...

may have to get some hoosiers

mike
Old 11-18-2011, 03:20 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Y'all pickin on my little buddy Deptuty Dog...

Quick Reply: Deputy dog ran 2:23.94 at Sebring