Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Gt3 owners with gt2 rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:14 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini

I get the same strange looks from people in my parking garage who watch me stab the holes in my brake rotors to clear out brake dust with a straightened coat-hanger
I guess it's better then them giving you strange looks for using a hanger to get into a car
Old 12-09-2011, 03:36 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
dont know if you did this Paul , but its worth installing the ducts then outlining them with a sharpie onto the dust shields that gives you an "accurate" line to cut along ... they are so easy to put on/take off its worth
doing this step to get it "right"

p.s
I think there is a geneva convention that specifically excludes me from undertaking any sort of diy mechanic work ...
It's not that tough, here's my depiction of this DIY despite my contravention of Geneva Convention!

Positioning of duct for outlining with Sharpie:

Removal of shield and Sharpie outline ready to cut:

Final assembly showing area outlined in red that was removed:

It's pretty much a waste of time and money if you don't remove this bit of brake shielding.

Now back to the OT on GT2 sway bar in a GT3 997.1 (which I have also installed)

Old 12-09-2011, 03:50 PM
lopro
Banned

I imagine you could also bend a piece of the shield back, make it a flap to screw the ducting to

very informative pics 1gunner. thanks.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:49 AM
giorgioerrani
Track Day

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
In my experience, the GT2 bar allows you to run 'proper' camber settings, front and rear, that lead to even tire wear and hot track tempts across the tire face - thus not using camber to fix a bar problem - and thus over all grip is better - and, a better range of tire pressures work without basically leading to a slippery rear end - less camber, more grip and car turns without getting loose with too high rear temps.

The 'squirming' issue is basically solved by
- replacing the engine mounts (wevo or other)
- replacing rear suspension rubber (upper control arms, lower control arm Monoballs and caster pucks, toe arms
- the car will no longer squirm and will be 'much easier' to drive nearer the limit

I also believe re-valving the suspension to prevent all the weight from moving around is very helpful.

My car, with the GT2 bar on soft (firmer than OE hard), and front bar on middle of 5 holes, with all of the other above stuff done, is far, far easier to drive fast, works at a variety of tire temps with never the feeling that the rear will come around.

My current alignment is -2.2f, -1.75 rear, zero front toe, very even tire wear on the track, car turns, is neutral, and doesn't snap lose. I generally run 31-35 front hot, 34-38 rear - car has very good grip on track out.

In the beginning of my journey with this car, I tried alignment and tire pressures to find that good balance - but it was too knife edge if I made it work with tire pressures and with alignment only, the tires were just not getting equal wear across the tires so by definition you are leaving grip on the table.

That's my story.
very interesting....

which rear toe ??
which tyres size(s) ??

the choice of a limited camber is because you drive a lot on the streets ??
and consequently you are looking for a very even tyre wear ??
any other reason ??
don't you find it a little bit too weak for track use ??

thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
It's not that tough, here's my depiction of this DIY despite my contravention of Geneva Convention!

Positioning of duct for outlining with Sharpie:

Removal of shield and Sharpie outline ready to cut:

Final assembly showing area outlined in red that was removed:

It's pretty much a waste of time and money if you don't remove this bit of brake shielding.

Now back to the OT on GT2 sway bar in a GT3 997.1 (which I have also installed)

I wonder how much the OEM .2 dust shields cost ... would save all that cutting ...
Old 02-14-2012, 07:16 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Good question, especially if you don't have a dremel tool and cutter discs at hand...

Either way, you are digging in that far to do the swap/cutting!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Good question, especially if you don't have a dremel tool and cutter discs at hand...

Either way, you are digging in that far to do the swap/cutting!

should be cheap as chips ...
Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

should be cheap as chips ...
LOL, .....Porsche Chips!!

Old 02-16-2012, 11:54 PM
lopro
Banned

does anyone know the how stiff/soft the Terett blade rear swey is vs. the rear gt2 or the stock rear bar?

Im trying to get an idea of where to set it up, i am not setting it up just yet but im doing research and learning how things work.

after reading this thread is would seem the concenses would be to run it at it's softest or nearst to soft.
I plan to buy the front one also - cant wait till winters over

Really interesting thread btw, everyones contribution here made for a interesting read.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Larry, 997gt3north and fc-racer: I was at the track all day today, and you guys were 100% correct. This is the best "bang for the buck" modification for a 997.1 GT3. Understeer is gone, and it completely changes the track experience.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Larry, 997gt3north and fc-racer: I was at the track all day today, and you guys were 100% correct. This is the best "bang for the buck" modification for a 997.1 GT3. Understeer is gone, and it completely changes the track experience.

Thanks for your help.
Glad to help ... In the same vien I have to say that the rear RSS bumo and dig kit along with the LCA really transforms the rear of my 7.2...

Not quite as cheap as the rear GT2 bar ... But well worth it
Old 03-31-2012, 03:04 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to help ... In the same vien I have to say that the rear RSS bumo and dig kit along with the LCA really transforms the rear of my 7.2...

Not quite as cheap as the rear GT2 bar ... But well worth it
I would agree with this as well.

For me, the GT2bar just fixed the car - simple as that - it just works better with that bar - and relatively speaking it is a very cheap fix.

Putting all the solid RSS stuff in the rear, way more $, is another great upgrade for the track focused people - the rear end is just way, way better.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
I would agree with this as well.

For me, the GT2bar just fixed the car - simple as that - it just works better with that bar - and relatively speaking it is a very cheap fix.

Putting all the solid RSS stuff in the rear, way more $, is another great upgrade for the track focused people - the rear end is just way, way better.
Totally this is the bar the 7.1 should have left the factory with, no 7.1 that tracks should be without this, and even those on street benefit ... Its the best $200 you can spend!
Old 05-27-2012, 12:07 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Heat shields.....keep from the rotors melting the stuff behind them

Dont remove

Just buy more efficient vaned rotors, the oem don't cool themselves much
Tech from goldcrest said they were for trapping cool air ducted in to the rotors. But essentially said they were worthless. My front ones were snapped on the top. He took them off and said to not worry about replacing them.

This is an interesting thread... Where's the cheapest place to buy this bar?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:17 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Tech from goldcrest said they were for trapping cool air ducted in to the rotors. But essentially said they were worthless. My front ones were snapped on the top. He took them off and said to not worry about replacing them.

This is an interesting thread... Where's the cheapest place to buy this bar?
The GT2 I got had them removed when I got it and it melted the front lower ball joint protective rubber costing $$$ to replace. I fabricated a small SS heat shield and attached to bottom of the upright to prevent future problems.

Peter

Quick Reply: Gt3 owners with gt2 rear sway bar