Shake down of Cup and mikymu at Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:26 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Shake down of Cup and mikymu at Thunderhill

I finally got to a point with my Cup car where I can say I am comfortable with none ABS brakes and the lovely sequential (still need ear plugs for the jet turbine cabin noise). Did another event at Thunderhill this past Friday with the usual show of GT3 force from the Bay Area for moral support

Tried out air jack for the first time ... man! they are noisy but way cool! Like what Patrick said "it sounded like a transformer!" lol.

Here are some pictures and video from the track. Keep in mind ... I am still learning how to drive the damn Cup car

Tried out air jack for the first time at home ... and could not figure out how to lower it lol

Make checking tires and changing wheels a breeze

GT3 gang

Even Edwin brought his spanking new 2011 GT3 RS for a 7.2RS/Cup stare down ... who is going to draw first?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:04 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Must be great having this as a trackday weapon!

Your downshifts really sound as if that gearbox is going to explode any second

btw don't you blip the throttle on downshifts? I had the impression (but I could be wrong, I am not in the car) that for instance in your last spin you locked up the rears when downshifting while on the brakes (hence the rattle sound).
Old 08-14-2011, 09:41 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Must be a blast learning to drive that car. Neat track too and it seems safe with lots of run off areas with no walls.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Your downshifts really sound as if that gearbox is going to explode any second

btw don't you blip the throttle on downshifts? I had the impression (but I could be wrong, I am not in the car) that for instance in your last spin you locked up the rears when downshifting while on the brakes (hence the rattle sound).
I was thinking the same exact thing.
Don't these cars have auto blippers now?

Mike, great video, looks you are really loving the learning :-) thanks for posting. If I'd ever go sequential, I'd have to learn left foot braking ...
Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

You can get Auto blippers from Manthey, however it is rare that anyone has them.

When I first drove my Cup I found it difficult to Blip until I made some pedal adjustments.

You should really work on this as it is very rewarding once you get it right.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:30 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts

Sounds like you are having fun with the new car. The 997 cup is incredible to drive.
A couple suggestions:
Not sure from the pic but some wood planks under the airjacks will protect your garage floor. They will tear up a nice finish very quickly.

Look into getting a throttle blipper. They really extend the life of the tranny if the footwork isn't perfect. PMNA has one available now and several shops are making versions of the Manthey rod style blipper.

Release the clutch quicker after the blip on the downshifts. The rev's fall very fast on the cup cars with the triple disc clutch and delaying the clutch release causes the rear wheels to drag which is hard on the the tranny, clutch, axles, ring/pinion, ect.. It also seemed to be the cause of the spin in the video.

When the tranny wont go into gear, the dog teeth simply are lined up against each other. Start slowly releasing the clutch to spin the main shaft while pressing forward on the the gear lever and it will go right into gear. Never try to force it. Also never try to pull away in any gear other than 1st or reverse. The clutch cannot handle any slipping. It will wear out extremely fast and also could ruin the flywheel.

I'm not trying to beat up on you. Just some friendly tips for a fellow cup car guy.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:06 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice setup on the N tank....

Please listen to Cory above and watch a few of his videos before you destroy your transmission. The new auto blippers are really efficient and allow you to focus your attention on braking and turn-in without worrying about getting the blip in correctly. About $1k installed....

Also, as I've mentioned previously, please hire a coach with verifiable 7-cup race experience. A good coach will be able to help you with setup and most importantly, you will learn so much faster. The coaching will pay for itself....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 08-14-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:46 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great advice guys

No worry, I had no problem with blipping or downshift. My problem with both spin was that I forgot I was driving a Cup and end up standing on the brakes when I get too excited and lock up the tires. Of course when that happen everything else after go poo poo.

I finally learn that "finesse" is something I need to tape on the Motec dash. The smoother I go the better the car drives and that is true for these none ABS brakes. After the two spin I had no problem at the brake zone and learn what modulation means. Coaching is coming next. I thought I was never going to master how to drive the Cup ... 4 months later I am finally comfortable ridding the beast
Old 08-14-2011, 01:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

mike improved a lot. actually uses the WHOLE track even dirt. i think my coach was instrumental. lmao.

e30 spec and sm drivers. FEW are good. the rest really have no ****ing clue what they are doing. i got several porsche friends who races SM and are incredibly fast. then there are those who really just just learn how to fk'g walk instead of driving let alone driving on a race track. they often make very unpredicatable moves (like track exit is on right, they move way left then fist up trying to make an acute angle to exit as they already pass the entrance). or stay mid track for a left turn, then move right to increase turning radius when they are going at a speed that need no such room to make the turn and take out cars that are lapping them for the third time in a 25 min race........

oh, well...
when you see SM or E30, turn the high beam on and hit the air horn. i will have airhorn on my race car.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:34 PM
jbigelow
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, wished I could of been there to see the gang and watch the whole madness in person!!!!!!

Thanx for sharing the vid Mike!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm happy for you! But must admit just a tad jealous
Old 08-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm happy for you! But must admit just a tad jealous
Old 08-14-2011, 02:04 PM
edwin814
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

around 5:14 of the vid...I was ROFL

BTW, what's that blinking red light on the dash on the second half (pm portion) of the vid?
Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by edwin814
BTW, what's that blinking red light on the dash on the second half (pm portion) of the vid?
Warning light ... telling me my wallet is on fire
Old 08-14-2011, 05:37 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Mike improved alot. I can improve alot too if my car stops leaking!!!! Mike

Quick Reply: Shake down of Cup and mikymu at Thunderhill