Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SharkWeek Continues: GT3 owners don't be afraid of the light weight flyhweel!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
In that renntech thread they talk about balancing issues that one might encounter.
There were also issues of MK1 pulleys coming off with the dual mass never mind the single mass But for the mk2 it's the same pulley for both.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

My crankshaft? bolt backed out on my MK1 GT3. I bought it that way and it was one of the first 997GT3's and one of the first to get the LWFW installed in a GT3..

IMHO it is a must have upgrade to any GT3, along with a LSD and bypass exhaust.. Makes it a different car.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
No sir... no difference internally. And on the MK2 both the RS and non-RS use the same pulley. On the MK1 the non-RS' came with a different pulley.
What about the 997.1 Gt2 ?
Old 08-13-2011, 12:09 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

I call it typical corporate bull****. This issue has been discussed numerous times and both the regular gt3 and rs has been around long enough for the engines to be taken apart if someone from Sharkwerks say they share the exact same parts, I will not doubt their word.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:23 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

A question about that lightweight pulley in 996 GT2/3/turbo engine....is it required, or just recommended? I have the 964RS LWFW.

( I read the pulley thread, but quite fast, and did not find definitive answer. )
Old 08-13-2011, 03:42 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My crankshaft? bolt backed out on my MK1 GT3. I bought it that way and it was one of the first 997GT3's and one of the first to get the LWFW installed in a GT3..

IMHO it is a must have upgrade to any GT3, along with a LSD and bypass exhaust.. Makes it a different car.
Yup aint that the truth! Just as I was saying earlier even folks with dual-mass flywheels had this happen and it's because of human/robot error. I mean do we really think that every time it was torqued properly just like the center locks which come from the factory all over the place!?

Glad you like the exhaust tho:P

Originally Posted by TTurbine
What about the 997.1 Gt2 ?
You can use the lighter weight pulley from EVOMS but I'll check the next time a GT2RS is in here because I don't recall it being any different to the one on the regular GT2.

Originally Posted by sin911
I call it typical corporate bull****. This issue has been discussed numerous times and both the regular gt3 and rs has been around long enough for the engines to be taken apart if someone from Sharkwerks say they share the exact same parts, I will not doubt their word.
In 15 gt3/gt3rs engines we've yet to see anything different heh:P

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
A question about that lightweight pulley in 996 GT2/3/turbo engine....is it required, or just recommended? I have the 964RS LWFW.

( I read the pulley thread, but quite fast, and did not find definitive answer. )
For the 996gt3 set up we did in fact use the 2010rs pulley or the EVOMS light weight one. It wasn't required but certainly produced about 4-5hp difference on a dyno.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:53 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster

For the 996gt3 set up we did in fact use the 2010rs pulley or the EVOMS light weight one. It wasn't required but certainly produced about 4-5hp difference on a dyno.

The engine gained power from the pulley?

Lost you a bit there mate.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:00 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
The engine gained power from the pulley?

Lost you a bit there mate.
Oh sorry I should explain that pulley and belt are actually considerably lighter than on the 996gt3. The weight of the evoms one is 220g vs 500g for the stock 996GT3 one. The throttle response is a little better with it vs the stock one is all and on the dyno you can see a small increase (not that it's worth it for that). The nice thing about that pulley (weight aside) is contact patch is about 60% larger (distributes the load more) too so once torqued down it's not going to come off
Old 08-13-2011, 04:19 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks Alex.

I have the 6RS pulley which is considerably lighter than the stock one; 195grams less.
And, as expected, no absolute power gains whatsoever, you can't even see an increase with the old cup super light flywheel of the 10RS.

What you describe can perhaps be explained by watching the power curve on the graph from a rolling dyno. There might be a chance to see a shifting in some "peak points" in the lower rpms, coming from the quicker pick up of the engine. ?

Btw a lighter belt is nice, is it a Porsche part?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:08 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Thanks Alex.

I have the 6RS pulley which is considerably lighter than the stock one; 195grams less.
And, as expected, no absolute power gains whatsoever, you can't even see an increase with the old cup super light flywheel of the 10RS.

What you describe can perhaps be explained by watching the power curve on the graph from a rolling dyno. There might be a chance to see a shifting in some "peak points" in the lower rpms, coming from the quicker pick up of the engine. ?

Btw a lighter belt is nice, is it a Porsche part?
That's exactly it.. it's hard to extrapolate dyno HP vs real-world acceleration if you will I remember the 6RS pulley as well that's right!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, once the engine is gear and rolling, or on a chassis dyno, then there are a lot of rotating parts in play. Assuming no clutch slip and no wheelspin, then as well as spinning a flywheel you have drive shafts, brake disks, wheels and tires. So, with all that in mind I would have thought that ceramic discs being, what, say, 15 lbs lighter in the rear would have just as much of an effect as the flywheel. Lighter wheels and light tires would also have an effect.

So, my non RS GT3 with ceramics should rev as fast and cleanly as an RS with steeleys once we are actually under way and moving?

Just my two pence.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:22 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

In theory, your thought does make sense.

In my mind, and I may be wrong, I think the location of the added weight is a factor. 15 lbs of lightened weight connected to engine components would have a greater rotational effect than the lightened rotors.

Watch some MIT guy come on here and just rip me now....
Old 08-14-2011, 10:36 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Alex,

So you guys use the EVOMS pulley before? Worth the extra money vs. say the stock 7.2 pulley? (for a 6GT3) EVOMS pulley is the lightest for sure..
Old 08-15-2011, 01:28 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cfjan
Alex,

So you guys use the EVOMS pulley before? Worth the extra money vs. say the stock 7.2 pulley? (for a 6GT3) EVOMS pulley is the lightest for sure..
Roger that on the 6s we have done but now that the 7 .2RS is available you can always use that. I like the design of the EVOMS one as it prevents it from ever sheering and coming off
Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

So do you need to reflash the ECU for LWFW or is its presence simply detected via the existing sensors (as I recall) ???

I recall the LWFW in the original 996.1 CS was pretty amazing how quickly the enginer revved etc ...

well worth the upgrade if you have your tx out as well as a cup or guard rebuilt LSD ...

Quick Reply: SharkWeek Continues: GT3 owners don't be afraid of the light weight flyhweel!