Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SharkWeek Continues: GT3 owners don't be afraid of the light weight flyhweel!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Talking SharkWeek Continues: GT3 owners don't be afraid of the light weight flyhweel!

This black on black 2011 GT3 came up to us from Southern California for a few Shark-themed goodies. On the menu was the SharkWerks Exhaust, our larger Tips, the EVOMSit software and the GT3RS Clutch/flywheel conversion. I have to say we really haven't seen as many of the MK2 GT3s go with the full RS lightweight flywheel conversion as we did on the 3.6L Mk1 GT3s. Maybe it's because gone are the days of the dealer warranty for the RMS seal and "while you're in there can you throw the LWF in" scenarios? It's a shame because these cars just rev exactly how they're supposed to (just like the RS). All those light weight engine parts (ti rods etc..) rev so much more freely without the dampening and weight of the stock dual mass unit. The difference is about 15 pounds less with the single mass over the stocker

In she comes and the flashing station is at the ready:

The bumper, belly pans, cross-members and other supports are removed:

Once the slave cylinder etc.. and coolant is removed the transmission itself can be unbolted and lowered out from underneath the car. The engine itself stays in place:

With the transmission off you can access and remove the factory pressure plate, clutch disc and dual mass (for dampening) flywheel:

Meanwhile there's a few parts starting to collect:

Since the stock exhaust is being removed/replaced there's also a few other stragglers at the back end:

The upgraded RS pressure plate (with three straps), new ring gear, clutch disc and RS single mass flywheel (15 pounds lighter than the one being removed) is then installed:

Before re-installing all the parts we added in the RSS Toe-steer kit and lock out plates to help prevent the toe-angle from changing under load:

The cross members, belly pans and other supports are all re-installed again:

On goes the SharkWerks exhaust (saves 18 pounds vs stock):

And of course here's a sound clip of it on the 3.8 engine:

A close up of our larger (and lighter by 2 pounds!) 88mm tips:

Finally the new EVOMSit tuning is uploaded and set for 91octane, improved throttle response and left-foot braking enabled:

All ready to go back home down South:

Last edited by sharkster; 08-12-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

This is awesome! When the day comes of a new LSD, I will want to do this. Ive read some really good things about the lightweight flywheel....
Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Greek
This is awesome! When the day comes of a new LSD, I will want to do this. Ive read some really good things about the lightweight flywheel....
The SharkWerks evil marketing weasel department (aka me) will kill me for saying this but forget any exhaust mod, suspension mod... I'm an engine nut and I just can't stand the GT3 motor in any form with a dual mass flywheel. Just seems like it's more lethargic and not the way it was intended to be This goes for the 6GT3, mk1 7GT3 and of course mk2GT3. There's no difference on the internals and even the pulley is the same on the mk2 rs and gt3. It just seems a shame to have those light weight internals bogged down with a dual mass just so that people won't return to the factory and say, "What's that noise..." . At least in Europe one could always order the clubsport version or what not and it would be installed just like on the RS.

And you're dead-right... as soon as the transmission is out if you don't mind waiting a few days you can upgrade that LSD too
Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
I'm an engine nut and I just can't stand the GT3 motor in any form with a dual mass flywheel. Just seems like it's more lethargic and not the way it was intended to be:( This goes for the 6GT3, mk1 7GT3 and of course mk2GT3. There's no difference on the internals and even the pulley is the same on the mk2 rs and gt3. It just seems a shame to have those light weight internals bogged down with a dual mass just so that people won't return to the factory and say, "What's that noise..." . At least in Europe one could always order the clubsport version or what not and it would be installed just like on the RS.
+1

btw only the mk1 6GT3 had std lightweight flywheel when you ordered the clubsport package. The mk2 even in clubsport had the piggy version, only the 6RS had the LWFW.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
+1

btw only the mk1 6GT3 had std lightweight flywheel when you ordered the clubsport package. The mk2 even in clubsport had the piggy version, only the 6RS had the LWFW.

Thanks John... they put the kabosh on that option too? Darn I thought at least the Mk1 Euro 997GT3 carried on from the 996GT3 with the clubsport kit (roll bar, harnesses and LWF). Bummer!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:13 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

So this really is a must have mod huh? Driving my .2 GT3, cant imagine it revving that much better....
Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this polizei avatar is one of john's best avatars ever!!! subtle.

nikos, lwfw is essential in any car that's gonna be tracked imo. the whole gig is about keeping the revs up for as long as possible, and the lwfw assists greatly in doing that.
also, it's fun telling experts your car is not broken when they insist your valves are popping out of your cylinder heads.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So this really is a must have mod huh? Driving my .2 GT3, cant imagine it revving that much better....
At least Porsche did "lighten" the dual mass a tiny bit on the mk2 but if there's one must have mod (because it's factory I don't even think of it like that?) then the single mass flywheel is it. It does rev climb/drop significantly faster with it believe you me. For example take Porsche's official 0-60 figures on the mk1 rs vs mk1 gt3 and you'll find the rs with its lwf gets to 60 about .2-3 seconds quicker. Acceleration is improved for sure and revmatching is easier. Jump into an RS and blip it a bit or do the 4,3 gear down and see what I mean
Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
this polizei avatar is one of john's best avatars ever!!! subtle.

nikos, lwfw is essential in any car that's gonna be tracked imo. the whole gig is about keeping the revs up for as long as possible, and the lwfw assists greatly in doing that.
also, it's fun telling experts your car is not broken when they insist your valves are popping out of your cylinder heads.
LOL couldn't agree more! I remember early on in my RS experience I'm happy as a clam and sitting in traffic on the main drag in San Jose; a nice old lady in her SUV says, "Young man that's a great looking car but you should take it to the Porsche dealership down the road. Can't you hear that terrible racket? It sounds like your engine is going kaput!"
Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Night and day
Old 08-10-2011, 10:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Greek, too bad we don't have a Sharkwerks in Tampa!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Greek, too bad we don't have a Sharkwerks in Tampa!
You have Orbit in South Florida......and everytime you goto Orbit Reter will go drink beer with you
Old 08-10-2011, 10:35 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

I know right! Honestly, I would probably ship the car there just to get the toy shark.....
Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

put tzatziki on it and get the 3.9
Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

If I put Tzatziki on it that little bastard better be a 4.0....
Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

then it's got homus too

Quick Reply: SharkWeek Continues: GT3 owners don't be afraid of the light weight flyhweel!