Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SW GT3 3.9L

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:32 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggorian
There's no way I'd own a 997-1 GT3 or GT3 RS and be able to leave the PASM dampers in place, even with the stock engine. There are other changes I would make, too.

pete
Pete, Can you expand on this thought a bit? I'm having Alex at SW put the RSS toe steer and rear link kit that he offers in, along with the 3.9 upgrade.[/QUOTE]

the stock 997.1 GT3/RS dampers, springs and sways limit the car significantly. sure you can put different springs on it, but you can't adjust the dampers, which makes that a waste. And the sways are not stiff/bulky enough to get the job done. Even with full-metal ball joints, etc., unless you replace the dampers, springs and sways, all you've done is provided slightly more feedback to a mediocre stock setup with no real adjustability to provide the tools to truly balance the handling. If you're simply street driving, don't even bother spending $$ on the suspension period...as the stock equipment is more than adequate to get the job done. But if you plan on tracking regularly, upgrading to some Motons or JRZs, Eibach springs (w/helpers), beefier sways and full metal ball-joint goodies would be the next step. And would dramatically improve the car's handling. Also, safety mods like cage, fixed-back seats, harnesses, etc. would be appropriate as well. Safety first. I went down this road (minus the 3.9) and was very, very happy with the results. But as you can see, it quickly becomes a slippery slope.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:44 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a guy on my block with a GTR, and I don't like him. This was cheaper than moving, or buying a GT2 or GT2RS. That, and I've read the Excellence article 3.9 times a day for the past 6 months. Something had to be done.
"Something had to be done."

Well said.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:50 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There's no way I'd own a 997-1 GT3 or GT3 RS and be able to leave the PASM dampers in place, even with the stock engine. There are other changes I would make, too.

pete
Pete, Can you expand on this thought a bit? I'm having Alex at SW put the RSS toe steer and rear link kit that he offers in, along with the 3.9 upgrade.[/QUOTE]

I'll leave it to Sir Excellence (kidding) to address the PASM versus real suspension question. I'd be interested to know what else you've got in order to fully build this car. If you don't have a Guard LSD in the build, then you should reconsider. Same for brakes -- not mandatory, the stock brakes work reasonably well for moderate track pace. At the least, I'd get the ducts for rear cooling. Brembo or PFC or whatever would be a great upgrade. Maybe a step of Stoptech GTR if the budget allows. But something for brakes would be a worthwhile consideration.

If you don't have at least half-way adequate safety gear (DAS roll bar and HANS) then I'd discourage too much track driving until you addressed the safety aspects of near 500hp, 3000lb and rear engine ...
Old 07-12-2011, 03:54 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

per Carrera GT, a motorsport LSD is also important if you plan to track regularly... might even be worth it on the street. Most overlook the LSD.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:07 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For the past 2 months I've been pondering how to ship my car or my engine halfway around the world to CA to get the SW3.9.

I just sent my diff to Guard - its still not back - and the experience (customs, damage en route) has been somewhat unnerving.

Not sure I could do the engine...
Old 07-12-2011, 10:10 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

There's a guy on my block with a GTR, and I don't like him. This was cheaper than moving, or buying a GT2 or GT2RS. That, and I've read the Excellence article 3.9 times a day for the past 6 months. Something had to be done.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:17 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kermit get's under people's skin.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=MM3.9GT3;8705372]Snowboarder: I am in Sonoma on vacation. Where is this "loop"? I want to drive it, even though it will be in my Hyundai Sonata rental car. Feel free to PM me.

Sorry, I can not do that! However if you are in Sonoma your not far from where I live. Just jump in the Sonata and drive over to the coast. there is a local car show here at the Gualala Arts Center which attracts some interesting cars from all over the state! I'll give you a taste of the 3.9 and who knows, you may get on a portion the loop and not even know it.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
kermit get's under people's skin.

Yes indeed. Worse then any Lover I have ever had!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
But if you plan on tracking regularly, upgrading to some Motons or JRZs, Eibach springs (w/helpers), beefier sways and full metal ball-joint goodies would be the next step.
what I hear all the time is the sort of reversed rule stating that stiffer springs benefit from softer sways, so it looks like if you go into 700+lbs springs territory you do not really need to beef up sways as well. Or is it an inaccurate statement?

From my own build I can say stock matching set of recent NB GT3 sways seem to work fine with 600/700 springs and JRZ RS. I do not see any need to get stiffer bars at the moment, in fact front is on full soft and rear in middle seems to do the job. Stiffer front bar would not likely do much good imho.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:13 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

That, and I've read the Excellence article 3.9 times a day for the past 6 months. Something had to be done.
Oh dear. Sorry 'bout that!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Hmmmm ... can you just send the engine to SW or do they need the whole car???
Old 07-12-2011, 12:24 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Hmmmm ... can you just send the engine to SW or do they need the whole car???
I think you can send the engine alone - apparently a guy in Singapore did it I think - and obviously you would need to take out the ECU I would assume. The SW3.9 "package" includes the LWFW, uprated clutch and exhaust; all three of which are relatively straightforward jobs that are easily put in. The engine is the hard bit.

I also wonder how well the EVOMSIT software would handle "international" fuel. Probably a stupid questions actually.... but I wondered!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:25 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I think what makes the 996 GT3 so special is the way the car takes a set in the corners. For whatever reason (PASM or something else), I never feel like my 997.1 GT3 takes a good set in the corners. I drive by faith rather than feel in this car; in the 996, you can really become one with the car. Does the Boxster Spyder come with PASM or regular dampeners?
Yes, I identify with this statement, and especially with what's in bold. Rings very, very true after my experiences in the cars.

If you like the 996 GT3, you will love, LOVE the Boxster Spyder. Best handling factory Porsche road car I have driven, period. It comes with conventional dampers with genius damping.

pete

Quick Reply: SW GT3 3.9L