Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SW GT3 3.9L

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by excmag
My analysis of the 997 GT3, which was a tough one to write back then, to put into words what I was feeling against what I know and respect about Porsche, appeared in the April 2007 issue.
Yea you kinda bursted my bubble when I read that article....but it did not keep me from buying a 3300mile 2008 GT3 that for me was a personal milestone in sports car ownership to achieve. Especially being a traditional Bimmer dude and coming from a 99 911 Carrera with suspension upgraded as well as much much more. For me, I find the GT3 shifter to be the weak link, not so much the PASM. But this is a street car for me so I can live with it.

Thanks for the best PCar mag out there and please convince these 2 tuners to let you do a comparison test
Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Just an FYI regrading shifters, the 997.1 GT3/RS did not have a GT3 specific shifter.
It was the same shifter used in all the 997.1 /987.1 series.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:27 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Just an FYI regrading shifters, the 997.1 GT3/RS did not have a GT3 specific shifter.
It was the same shifter used in all the 997.1 /987.1 series.
Whether it's the shifter, the linkage, or on the transmission end, it is too stiff in my personal view when compared to other Porsches, even the faster ones such as 987 Boxster Spyder/Cayman R, and Turbo. And 996 GT3, for that matter...

Ditto for the 997-on GT2 clutch. I always get used to it within a day or so, but it seems better suited to a GT3 Cup (yum!) than a GT3 street car. But that's just me.

pete
Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Whether it's the shifter, the linkage, or on the transmission end, it is too stiff in my personal view when compared to other Porsches, even the faster ones such as 987 Boxster Spyder/Cayman R, and Turbo. And 996 GT3, for that matter...

Ditto for the 997-on GT2 clutch. I always get used to it within a day or so, but it seems better suited to a GT3 Cup (yum!) than a GT3 street car. But that's just me.

pete
The shift feel and function in the 997.1 GT3 and 997.2 GT3 RS are both pretty ordinary, bordering on annoying. Getting a downshift into 2nd gear under brakes is not a given. I don't want the cabin noise transmitted by the heavier cables, just the assurance that 2nd gear will always be in the same place regardless of engine load. Doesn't seem like a lot to ask. Maybe a less flexible transmission mount? I don't mind some vibration in the cabin in return for 2nd gear.

ps. All car reviews should include a cabin dB meter reading continuously for 0 to 60 or 0 to 100 tests. The 3.8 RS is maddeningly noisy in the cabin.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:48 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

pete

The Box/man cars are quite different so I 'll leave them out.

The 7.1 GT3 and the 6 GT3 use the same cables.
The gearboxes are quite similar.

The 6GT3s shifter is a long throw one when you compare it to the std 7.1 shifter (the same was used in the 6 series.)
The extended travel gives this sweetness to the changes as it takes away the knochiness of the shorter ones.

In fact the 6 cup shifter has the same travel as the original 6 shifter but it's more robust with added metal on the ends.
Perhaps the added time for each change, that allowed the gears to engage more smoothly, was what made Porsche use it vs. using one of the shorter / later ones.

However most 7 users don't want to go back to the longer throw shifters. The 997.1 shifter has a side metal plate reinforcement vs the 996 series shifter.

The 7.2 GT3 shifter is as short as the 7.1 one but with added metal strengthening plates and bushes. Also the cables in the 10 cars are different.
More robust for sure but feels the same to me as the 7.1 did.

In any case and while the shifter thing is a personal preference, all GT owner that track their cars should buy and install the 996 cup cables.
Great mod with added noise being the only negative.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Getting a downshift into 2nd gear under brakes is not a given.
Hmm. Interesting... never had a problem here.

ps. All car reviews should include a cabin dB meter reading continuously for 0 to 60 or 0 to 100 tests. The 3.8 RS is maddeningly noisy in the cabin.
Ah, what "should" be. I should buy a set of scales, and should get some real measurement devices. db meter is a great (!) idea, but I'd have to figure out a stretch of representative test pavement. And that, of course, is always degrading until it is radically improved.

Now, how to buy that equipment and add those tests within my budget — and, more importantly, time —*is, well, hmm... something to think about. Not saying it can't be done, but have to count the costs and opportunity costs. I look at those supertests with flat-out awe. Independent windtunnel testing!? Now that's A-game. So far, I've been trying to focus on the stuff the big boys don't do well, which is nuance and detail. Of course, it helps being marque-specific.

Oh yeah: 997 GT2 was the first 911 where I thought I wanted more sound deadening. Not for the engine, but for the rear tires. On bad freeway pavement, it was unreal how loud it was in the cabin. On nice pavement, no problem.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Eggorian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been on Rennlist for 3 days, and my wife already hates it. The input and information has been outstanding. Thanks to all!!
Old 07-13-2011, 12:08 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
...The extended travel gives this sweetness to the changes as it takes away the knochiness of the shorter ones.

In fact the 6 cup shifter has the same travel as the original 6 shifter had.
Perhaps the added time for each change, that allowed the gears to engage more smoothly, was what made Porsche use it vs. using one of the shorter / later ones...

...In any case and while the shifter thing is a personal preference, all GT owner that track their cars should buy and install the 996 cup cables.
Great mod with added noise being the only negative.
Warning: Here's a "me too".

I have cup shifter and cables. The setup is smooth as butter, yet precise as a scalpel. Wouldn't wan it any other way.

Can't comment on the noise since I've had it from day one, but whatever the drawback, it's worth it.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

shifter feel?
honda s2000. everything else sucks.
if you must drive porsche, 996gt3 stock shifter in my opinion is much better than 7.1 7.2 rs or not.
and if you really like to shift, swap cup shifter AND cup cable AND have it adjusted correctly. then it would be almost 1/2 as good as s2000. but better than the rest of the porsche GT3 variants.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
shifter feel?
if you must drive porsche, 996gt3 stock shifter in my opinion is much better than 7.1 7.2 rs or not.
and if you really like to shift, swap cup shifter AND cup cable AND have it adjusted correctly. then it would be almost 1/2 as good as s2000. but better than the rest of the porsche GT3 variants.
And the S2K is almost half as good as the 993.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

s2000 is 1/2 as good as 993
but the s2000 shifter is a lot better than 993 shifter.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Pete, Can you expand on this thought a bit? I'm having Alex at SW put the RSS toe steer and rear link kit that he offers in, along with the 3.9 upgrade.
I'll leave it to Sir Excellence (kidding) to address the PASM versus real suspension question. I'd be interested to know what else you've got in order to fully build this car. If you don't have a Guard LSD in the build, then you should reconsider. Same for brakes -- not mandatory, the stock brakes work reasonably well for moderate track pace. At the least, I'd get the ducts for rear cooling. Brembo or PFC or whatever would be a great upgrade. Maybe a step of Stoptech GTR if the budget allows. But something for brakes would be a worthwhile consideration.

If you don't have at least half-way adequate safety gear (DAS roll bar and HANS) then I'd discourage too much track driving until you addressed the safety aspects of near 500hp, 3000lb and rear engine ...[quote]

Alex looked at my LSD when he pulled the tranny. He said it looked 'fine'. I will ask him about it again manana. Snowboarder has 'zero LSD' remaining in his car, according to sharky.

This whole SW process started with me asking about a Brembo brake upgrade. Based on what I told him about my driving habits (2 track days in 1.5 years), he talked me out of it. His reverse psychology worked well. I then bought the 3.9. Now I need more track time.....and brakes. I will ask. I do not want to die.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:27 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eggorian
I'll leave it to Sir Excellence (kidding) to address the PASM versus real suspension question. I'd be interested to know what else you've got in order to fully build this car. If you don't have a Guard LSD in the build, then you should reconsider. Same for brakes -- not mandatory, the stock brakes work reasonably well for moderate track pace. At the least, I'd get the ducts for rear cooling. Brembo or PFC or whatever would be a great upgrade. Maybe a step of Stoptech GTR if the budget allows. But something for brakes would be a worthwhile consideration.

If you don't have at least half-way adequate safety gear (DAS roll bar and HANS) then I'd discourage too much track driving until you addressed the safety aspects of near 500hp, 3000lb and rear engine ...
Alex looked at my LSD when he pulled the tranny. He said it looked 'fine'. I will ask him about it again manana. Snowboarder has 'zero LSD' remaining in his car, according to sharky.

This whole SW process started with me asking about a Brembo brake upgrade. Based on what I told him about my driving habits (2 track days in 1.5 years), he talked me out of it. His reverse psychology worked well. I then bought the 3.9. Now I need more track time.....and brakes. I will ask. I do not want to die.
Well, lest my sense of humor be misinterpreted, I'll start off by saying, no sarcasm, full points to Alex and the Sharkwerks guys for listening to the driver. If you're currently at a couple of days on the track from year to year, maybe you'll never see the light (sorry, there's my idea of wit creeping in) but maybe you'll "grow some" (again, sorry) and then you'll plug in the LSD. But I can't make that decision for you and certainly, nor can the company selling the track gear.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:45 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

I just sent a big check to Sharkwerks for the 3.9L upgrade to my 997.1 GT3. I'll have 3.9L car #14 I'm told. Does anyone here have one? Comments? Alex has been great to work with, and everything I've read of the rebuild is very positive.....but I'm nervous. My 3rd child is going under the knife.
Post #1
Don't do it! Wait that's how this started

I have one. It's okish

It's neat to see you on RL. You're going to meet some very strange gt3 people here. All they do is cost me time and money. But I've met some amazing people as a result. There's pluses and chocolate Easter eggs so stay on -board!

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Hehe no need to be nervous! I'm very close to having 15,000 miles on my 3.9. When I hit that mark, which could be later this week, I will give everyone an update. I have enjoyed every trouble free mile to date! I promise you will be very pleased stay tuned!
I wish I could drive up the loop this weekend (not that I know where it is because I don't) and see that show this weekend too. You're going to rep Porsche for us...

I can't believe you managed to break the 3000mile mark on ONE set of tires. The Pilot Super Sports are amazing:P Either that or Tony needs to give you an even more aggressive alignment

Other than the Carrera GT V10, it's the sweetest, most satisfying, and most exciting normally-aspirated Porsche engine I've sampled — and I've tried more than a few.

Yeah, I'd say there's a good chance you're going to enjoy it...

pete
Danke, danke. I don't know if everyone can know/appreciate the testing and seriousness at which you test, test, test and defend the 911 (and all the P-Car variations) in its original form. More often than not our industry is guilty of going backwards before we go sideways and then forwards. My 1300pound JRZ suspension Circa 2004 on the Tip 996TT is fully-included! Keep kicking all of us Evil-doers and Der Porsche in the butt and on our toes.

Alex has referenced your driving habits and the 3.9's ability to take your abuse as testament to it's strength and durability. You should be proud....and hit him up for an oil change or something
If I had a spare rear pilot sport cup for everytime

There's a guy on my block with a GTR, and I don't like him. This was cheaper than moving, or buying a GT2 or GT2RS. That, and I've read the Excellence article 3.9 times a day for the past 6 months. Something had to be done.
You know what that right there is the right answer. I'm in. I have much dis-love for the GTR. Damn that giant shoe-box-looking Playstation contraption on 20s. My green pal (JWGT2 on here) still has his RS but also flirted with one of those evil things for a SHORT time. I sent him into the corner for a time out.

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Snowboarder: I am in Sonoma on vacation. Where is this "loop"? I want to drive it, even though it will be in my Hyundai Sonata rental car. Feel free to PM me.

There is no BS in that reason.
There's no such thing as the loop However it was really so neat to meet you in person today vs just on rennlist and share some V10 stories I am itching to see a pic of that mk1 996 GT3 inspired RuF. Back when I had my 99C2 I wanted to slap a gt3 engine in it because we didn't get that car in the US of NAY.

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
kermit get's under people's skin.
My wife was not exactly thrilled when I came home with it. She laughed (not kindly either) and said, "You waited 18months and specced it out like this? You said it was green. That color is asanine (**** in my lingo)".

Oh yeah: And Alex is definitely a bad seed. This whole thread is his fault.
I told him not to do it! I said the 3.6 is super peachy and if he wanted to liven it up to do just the LWF and exhaust. That was the plan. Then a few days later whilst it was on the lift and transmission being put back into place we got a phone call to STOP and

I've been on Rennlist for 3 days, and my wife already hates it. The input and information has been outstanding. Thanks to all!!
Yes these people are all nuts. Twelve Monkeys around here.

Originally Posted by mooty
shifter feel?
Don't you start! Dan and his S2K is going to join this thread. He would rub that in our noses every day he owned that car. Honda did nail it. Trans is right there too. No bs cables etc.. A stick and trans right underneath you to shift. And if somebody even brings up the NSX I'll...

PS Anyone seen the footage of Senna at Suzuka helping with the NSX?

And the S2K is almost half as good as the 993.
Um... distributor

Well, lest my sense of humor be misinterpreted, I'll start off by saying, no sarcasm, full points to Alex and the Sharkwerks guys for listening to the driver. If you're currently at a couple of days on the track from year to year, maybe you'll never see the light (sorry, there's my idea of wit creeping in) but maybe you'll "grow some" (again, sorry) and then you'll plug in the LSD. But I can't make that decision for you and certainly, nor can the company selling the track gear.
Aw thank you sir and to borrow some wisdom from McLaren's Lewis H. , "Is it cos I iz British?"

I have to say it's a real pity that Porsche went backwards on the LSD unit. The one in the 996 far outlasts the 997.1;( The 997.2 isn't much better either grr. The pressure plate too is a bit poo-ey for that matter.

Be safe at the track and I want to measure the thickness of your mega rotor at least three times this year
Old 07-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

The shift feel and function in the 997.1 GT3 and 997.2 GT3 RS are both pretty ordinary, bordering on annoying. Getting a downshift into 2nd gear under brakes is not a given. I don't want the cabin noise transmitted by the heavier cables, just the assurance that 2nd gear will always be in the same place regardless of engine load.
I have not noticed this, however as many of you know I am old school. Back in my 356A days I had problems with third to second heel toeing and after replacing second gear twice it was suggested to me by Vasek to start double clutching, which I managed to perfect at a very young age. It is a habit I have continued for the last 47 years regardless of the car I drive. I think Pete can attest to the fact that my near 52,000 mile GT3 shifts just as smoothly as the day it was new!

Quick Reply: SW GT3 3.9L