Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SW GT3 3.9L

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SW GT3 3.9L

I just sent a big check to Sharkwerks for the 3.9L upgrade to my 997.1 GT3. I'll have 3.9L car #14 I'm told. Does anyone here have one? Comments? Alex has been great to work with, and everything I've read of the rebuild is very positive.....but I'm nervous. My 3rd child is going under the knife.
Post #1

Last edited by Eggorian; 07-11-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

check with Snowboarder54, as I believe he has one.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:00 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they just did a thread about your car ...
Old 07-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggorian
I just sent a big check to Sharkwerks for the 3.9L upgrade to my 997.1 GT3. I'll have 3.9L car #14 I'm told. Does anyone here have one? Comments? Alex has been great to work with, and everything I've read of the rebuild is very positive.....but I'm nervous. My 3rd child is going under the knife.
Post #1
Hehe no need to be nervous! I'm very close to having 15,000 miles on my 3.9. When I hit that mark, which could be later this week, I will give everyone an update. I have enjoyed every trouble free mile to date! I promise you will be very pleased stay tuned!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:21 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Other than the Carrera GT V10, it's the sweetest, most satisfying, and most exciting normally-aspirated Porsche engine I've sampled — and I've tried more than a few.

Yeah, I'd say there's a good chance you're going to enjoy it...

pete
Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Other than the Carrera GT V10, it's the sweetest, most satisfying, and most exciting normally-aspirated Porsche engine I've sampled — and I've tried more than a few.

pete
That's what I was trying to say! pete knows
Old 07-11-2011, 11:55 AM
teoh2005
Instructor

pete
How does it compare to the 997.2 rs? Thanks.

-Kevin
Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by teoh2005
How does it compare to the 997.2 rs? Thanks.

-Kevin
I prefer the 3.9, having driven a 997-2 GT3 3.8 and the first SW 3.9 back to back, and having spent significant time with two SW 3.9s and the 997-2 GT3 RS 3.8 since then. 3.9 revs cleaner, more enthusiastically than the 3.6 and the 3.8, and feels stupid fast in a way neither of them do. Plus: 8800 rpm. A worrisome state of affairs, I know, given my respect for AP's team and all things factory. Very curious about the 4.0.

Of course, 3.9 doesn't come with a Porsche warranty, hasn't been tested in South Africa and the North Pole, etc. — *but it never hiccup'd in the month I spent with SW's prototype, and I can assure you that Snowboarder's 15,000 miles haven't been spent pussyfooting around town of down freeways. Also seems like we've heard little to no issues with the dozen built so far, which I am willing to bet are mostly being used on track. As always, time will tell, but I'd hate to miss out on the fun meanwhile if I had a 997-1 GT3 and $25k burning a hole in my pocket. I'd have to fix the suspension first, though.

You can read my thoughts in depth here, for free, if you're really interested: http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...hello-8800-rpm

pete
Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 PM
drqiman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a tough question to answer but perhaps one of you is willing to give it a try. Not yet having a factory or GMG's 4.0 to compare it to the SW's 3.9, anyone care to speculate what would the mechanical, performance and longevity differences be between each of them? Please leave the Porsche warranty, original factory engine and collectible potential of the 4.0 vs aftermarket with no warranty( yes, I am aware that GMG has said that it will offer a warranty but this doesn't help me if I am really far away from their shop) arguments out of the equation. Thanks and look forward to the comments of others more knowledgeable than I am about things mechanical.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

I also would be most curious how the GMG 4.0 compares to the SW 3.9 on a stock 997.1 GT3 or RS
power/torque
reliability
cost

I sure would like to see a Chris Harris review of both of these back to back..hint hint
Old 07-11-2011, 01:41 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I am thinking the GMG 4.0 would be a lot more $$$, though?! New crank, new rods, etc.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drqiman
I know this is a tough question to answer but perhaps one of you is willing to give it a try. Not yet having a factory or GMG's 4.0 to compare it to the SW's 3.9, anyone care to speculate what would the mechanical, performance and longevity differences be between each of them?
No.

Sorry, but I can't see any way to do so intelligently.

pete
Old 07-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I prefer the 3.9, having driven a 997-2 GT3 3.8 and the first SW 3.9 back to back, and having spent significant time with two SW 3.9s and the 997-2 GT3 RS 3.8 since then. 3.9 revs cleaner, more enthusiastically than the 3.6 and the 3.8, and feels stupid fast in a way neither of them do. Plus: 8800 rpm. A worrisome state of affairs, I know, given my respect for AP's team and all things factory. Very curious about the 4.0.

Of course, 3.9 doesn't come with a Porsche warranty, hasn't been tested in South Africa and the North Pole, etc. — *but it never hiccup'd in the month I spent with SW's prototype, and I can assure you that Snowboarder's 15,000 miles haven't been spent pussyfooting around town of down freeways. Also seems like we've heard little to no issues with the dozen built so far, which I am willing to bet are mostly being used on track. As always, time will tell, but I'd hate to miss out on the fun meanwhile if I had a 997-1 GT3 and $25k burning a hole in my pocket. I'd have to fix the suspension first, though.

You can read my thoughts in depth here, for free, if you're really interested: http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...hello-8800-rpm

pete
I think you're saying you prefer the 3.9 engine itself, over the 3.8 RS engine. Are you also saying you prefer driving the whole car (any 997.1 GT3) over the 3.8 RS?

I've driven the 3.9 only briefly under controlled limits, but I know the kind of "urgency" you're describing in the way the engine behaves. I liked what I was tasting and would enjoy getting it to the track.

I've been at the track in my 3.8 RS and driven a couple of sessions, this year and last, with a good friend in another 997.1 GT3 3.9. We were circulating in traffic and turned a 1:36.99 at Laguna. My car is stock except alignment and Hoosiers. The 3.9 had suspension, Brembo's, Hoosiers and Guard LSD as well as very quick driver who has turned a 36.1.

Doing some lead-follow, the 3.9 was quicker in a straight line (2nd gear out of T11 at Laguna, so quite an uphill drag, but still quicker everywhere except downhill from the Corkscrew.) I was driving the "old" line at Laguna and the guy in the 3.9 was driving the "new" line, so he was making two or more car lengths through the screw -- the RS had trouble closing that gap and it was all the way around to T3 before the two cars would be back in close contact just as a matter of it being "easier" to close a gap under brakes.

All aspects of cars and drivers considered, I think the 3.8 RS had a lot more left to give (I was in street three point belts and not risking my neck) and the 3.9 was close to its limits (the other driver in a half cage and HANS.) Of course, nothing scientific, just some fun with the emphasis on keeping the paint on the cars.

In terms of excuses and known issues in the comparison of the two cars, both cars needed new tires, accounting in part for the 3.9 being about 0.8 seconds off its pace even though it was now able to run the much quicker new line at Laguna. I think the 3.9 went out with fresh R6's and turned something like a 36.5 (plus or minus.) What the 3.8 RS was losing in a straight line, it was recouping in apex speed -- I'd attribute this to wider track and 265 hooters up front versus 235's on the 3.9. I'd also say my 3.8 RS has spent its diff, so it's now handling like it's basically an open diff -- noticeably less able to hook up than just two days earlier. You'd think that's worth some time and would cripple most 911's on the track, but the traction of that car is so good, it was really the tires doing the work of the LSD -- also, the 3.8 RS was on A6's and the 3.9 on R6's for whatever that's worth.

All that said, I could agree with someone preferring the rush of power at the top of the rpm range in the 3.9 (I didn't discern any advantage in the extra 300 rpm since the engine makes the excursion from 8000 to 8800 in the blink of an eye) but I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd prefer to 997.1 GT3 -- even with the 3.9 -- over the 3.8RS. As you note, start with the suspension, but I think anyone putting ink to their checkbook for a 3.9 is surely already taking Alex's advice and doing the whole job (suspension, brakes, diff) not just the engine.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I As you note, start with the suspension, but I think anyone putting ink to their checkbook for a 3.9 is surely already taking Alex's advice and doing the whole job (suspension, brakes, diff) not just the engine.
I agree
the extra power and torque will tax the stock 997.1 suspension and I assume the diff. especially for trackers
But for a street car I would think the suspension, Diff & brakes are still sufficient, thoughts?
ah, wtf is another 10 grand or more for upgrading all this?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:25 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

I think you're saying you prefer the 3.9 engine itself, over the 3.8 RS engine.
Yes.

Are you also saying you prefer driving the whole car (any 997.1 GT3) over the 3.8 RS?
No.

There's no way I'd own a 997-1 GT3 or GT3 RS and be able to leave the PASM dampers in place, even with the stock engine. There are other changes I would make, too.

If we're talking stock cars and my personal preferences, it's 996 GT3 > 997-2 GT3 RS > 997-2 GT3 > 997-1 GT3/RS. That first pair is working from memory, and isn't easy to say. But I think that's the ranking for me.

Of course, this has to do with handling (which is what I prize most) not exterior visuals, interior quality, etc. If we're talking visuals, for instance, you can invert my personal ranking, as I think Porsche hit a high point with the 997-1 GT3/RS. And the RS 3.8 engine is very, very good...

But, since handling counts for so much with me, it ends up trumping most everything else in my personal "whole-car" assessments. Probably why I happen to be so into Porsches, vs so many other cool four-wheeled options out there.

pete

Quick Reply: SW GT3 3.9L