Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

K&N Induction Kit/Filter 63-7001

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:48 AM
ninesixfourrs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default K&N Induction Kit/Filter 63-7001

Anybody ever had a problem with this Cold Air Induction kit from K&N (63-7001) I heard that the Oil the filter is soaked in can get onto the Air mass flow sensor buggering up the readings leadiing to the engine over fuelling (and other problems) because the Air mass sensor thinks the engines not getting enough air.........any feedback would be appreciated
Old 06-21-2011, 12:24 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of threads on this topic. In the end I find it inconclusive - I have the kit myself, its still in the box. On one hand, the MAF stories and so on scared the heck out of me. On the other hand, the filter looks oddly familiar to the 4.0RS now...

Until one of the "heavy" Rlisters come on and say they've tried it, like it, and it didn't mess their car up, it will remain a closet ornament.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it on my .1RS... no trouble at all with it

I am physically a "heavy" rennlister but not sure that counts as an endorsement :-)

That being said, 911slow is critical of this kit and clearly knows his stuff... he reccomends BMC drop in filter.

I planned on dyno testing both but did not want to shell out for the BMC filter and the KN kit and I already had the KN kit and was pleased with the dyno results which just about what KN claims on the top end with the sport button on... dyno jet

911 slow and mikymiu IIRC said that the KN kit is not as effective as the BMC and 911slow has access to the Maha dyno which he said is the superior dyno.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:24 PM
ninesixfourrs
Advanced

Originally Posted by bmardini
Lots of threads on this topic. In the end I find it inconclusive - I have the kit myself, its still in the box. On one hand, the MAF stories and so on scared the heck out of me. On the other hand, the filter looks oddly familiar to the 4.0RS now...

Until one of the "heavy" Rlisters come on and say they've tried it, like it, and it didn't mess their car up, it will remain a closet ornament.
wouldn't say i was scared just miffed at spending a shed load of money on something before I checked it out.... My man whose doing my Remap mentioned this to me, he said he's seen some poor results on 997's fitted with this and recommended me to steer clear. I did mention running it without the Oil and his answer was that because they use a fairly coarse grade filter material they need the oil to catch the finer particles so running the filter without the oil is not really an option either I'll have a search on here fo these other threads on the topic
Old 06-21-2011, 06:19 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Same experience as PJS on my .1RS. Same tuner, similar dyno results. No issues however, not considered a heavy RLister.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:30 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

There is no need for a Cold Air Induction kit. The stock GT3 intake is a cold air intake (given the location of the intake).
Old 07-01-2011, 07:35 AM
ninesixfourrs
Advanced

Well.......I thought I bought it so might as well use it so had it fitted along with some other mods and been running for about 300 miles and no problems so far here's a before and after

Before

After

my man remapped it and it's now punching above it's weight see below

I know Dyno readings are fairly subjective so if I'm somewhere between 400 and the above I'm happy

This is my old Clunker on the Dyno...

in the pits monza

Old 07-01-2011, 09:23 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Does the BMC drop in have to be oiled too?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove sock on filter and you should get a few more hp
Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 PM
ninesixfourrs
Advanced

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Does the BMC drop in have to be oiled too?
Yes.......As far as I know they're not drenched in oil but impregnated lightly with K&N's Special light Filter Oil. I think the problem with these Filters (K&N/BMC) is when people try and re-charge their Filters after washing and apply far to much oil resulting in the Excess Oil being picked up in the Air Flow and deposited on the MAF Sensor distorting the readings, there is a solution get rid of the MAF Sensor.....by fitting a Motec Unit (the route I shall be taking next) then you don't have to worry about it.....simples

I retained the sock as it filters further smaller particles and prevents the Filter from getting drenched when washing the car etc.

To be fair I'll see what happens after a few more miles and some hard Trackdays under my belt starting with the Nurbergring 17/7 & Spa 18/7 but all seems good so far (Famous last words)
Old 07-01-2011, 01:30 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how does it sound now?
Old 07-01-2011, 01:40 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't do it - it will lose power. 991slow and I have dyno the setup and it's inferior to stock. Heat soak is one major problem
Old 07-01-2011, 01:52 PM
ninesixfourrs
Advanced

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
how does it sound now?
nice especially Toe and heel Blipping on the down change from 120 mph to 50mph especially brings a grin...LOL
Old 07-01-2011, 01:56 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it still have that distinct induction 'howwwwwl', or has the tone changed?
Old 07-01-2011, 01:59 PM
ninesixfourrs
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikymu
Don't do it - it will lose power. 991slow and I have dyno the setup and it's inferior to stock. Heat soak is one major problem
Sorry old boy to late.........to be fair with my other mods I've gained 55 HP at the crank and I after several paticularly enthusiastic runs I deffo had no heat soak although my test was not high tech I mean.....all I did was get out of the car pop the lid and put my hand on the induction Air inlet pipe......cold to the point of chilled....still we'll see after more practical testing......

Quick Reply: K&N Induction Kit/Filter 63-7001