The Center-Lock recall...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

At the end of the day, I have concluded on two demonstrable facts:
If the spline mechanism will not automatically extend into the centerlock wheel nut once the nut is at 600Nm -- following the newly documented procedure this year -- without significant effort on the part of the person mounting the wheel, the system has failed.

If the spline mechanism then binds into the centerlock nut once the vehicle is driven, such that it cannot allow the insertion of the wheel nut socket tool without considerable effort, then the mechanism has failed.
Since I continue to encounter both these situations after the recall, I think it's reasonable to conclude the centerlock assembly is prone to failure and the fundamental design must be subjected to rigorous and effective revision.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:56 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If the spline mechanism will not automatically extend into the centerlock wheel nut once the nut is at 600Nm -- following the newly documented procedure this year -- without significant effort on the part of the person mounting the wheel, the system has failed.

If the spline mechanism then binds into the centerlock nut once the vehicle is driven, such that it cannot allow the insertion of the wheel nut socket tool without considerable effort, then the mechanism has failed.
Since I continue to encounter both these situations after the recall, I think it's reasonable to conclude the centerlock assembly is prone to failure and the fundamental design must be subjected to rigorous and effective revision.
+1

I fully agree with you that the design is not optimal, nor even close to what one might call elegant. The splines always freeze up on me when I come in off track. I've got to whack them with a pin and a mallet to free them up (otherwise, the CL socket won't fit over the nut). And it's a PITA to jiggle all the splines to get them to pop out so that the safety mechanism actually works. I ended up making a special tool for this job (a long bolt with a handfull of nuts threaded on it to give you something to grip as you fiddle with it).

I fully expect more from Porsche!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:49 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

This is all a conspiracy.

The old school Weissach, you know the real engineers that still work there, are getting back at the marketing department, for imposing the CL wheels in STREET cars.
Now they happily walk the corridors and exchange with each other faint smiles.

Quick Reply: The Center-Lock recall...