Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What goes around ... wheels for a centerlock RS ... O.Z. Superforgiata Centerlock

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:23 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I thought your daily driver is a Roller with dubz?
Well when I'm not rollin' the rolls
Old 05-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I hit curbs all the time......havnt bent these in 10 days

Black finish is durable....much more than old CCW....
Attached Images   
Old 05-25-2011, 06:02 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why 19"?

More tires available at 18" and less rotating mass.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
Why 19"?

More tires available at 18" and less rotating mass.
19's because bigger is better.

And I have a trailer full of 19" tires.

And I need 19's to go around my enormous ...

... ego

Ha!
You thought I was going to write "brakes" didn't you!

: )
Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
Did you try gmg

I have their wheels....Now two sets....love em
I like the look of the GMG's. Nicely finished. But for that budget, I think I'd go HRE or try the O.Z. (nice ad in Panorama) and I get fair price and local support out of Mr Shark of the Werks. (yes, I shamelessly shill for the local sponsors ... so shoot me ... no, really, shoot me ... maybe it will knock me out of this slippery slope free-fall ... : )
Old 05-25-2011, 10:05 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
The price for the Superforgiatta is actually not bad, considering it's a high-quality forged wheel that is a centerlock. The Ultraleggera is NOT a forged wheel. It's made via "low-pressure" casting. I read that to mean zero pressure (well, room pressure at what ever altitude the factory is located). Cast metals are highly subject to porosity (small voids, typically caused by air bubbles). At least high-pressure casting helps to get rid of the air bubbles. These voids mean the material is not homogeneous and therefore not nearly as strong as billet. Forging is when you take a billet and smash it between two mold halves under tremendous pressure. It compresses the heck out of the material and actually makes the metal stronger.

By reading this, you just got two college credits! LOL
Yes but, in reference to the Ultraleggera...

High Light Technology (HLT)

The High Light Technology (HLT) process used in the manufacturing of O.Z. Racing's Alleggerita HLT and Botticelli HLT wheels, for example, uses rollers to compress and elongate the material along the barrel of a low-pressure cast aluminum wheel to obtain the desired profile. This process, which is directly derived from O.Z.'s experience in F1, produces wheels that are extremely light and strong.

The flow forming process and the HLT technologies combine to create mechanical characteristics similar to those of a forged wheel. This permits a dramatic reduction in wheel weight while enhancing structural rigidity vs. a standard cast wheel.
From http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...?techid=90#HLT

IMHO, OZ can not be beat for "value".
Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

I'd get the cheap OZ, you can bend them a bunch of times before the they cost more, plus they look nice.
And if you stop trying to go drift king every corner and keep it on the black stuff instead you probably never bend them..
Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'd get the cheap OZ, you can bend them a bunch of times before the they cost more, plus they look nice.
And if you stop trying to go drift king every corner and keep it on the black stuff instead you probably never bend them..
I tend to agree. I'm not one to bounce the car off the berms and think I'm shaving precious hundredths off my qualifying times to earn the sponsor dollars ... neither is real.

And they're available in simple black (a $400+ option on the venerable 4.0 RS, I might add ...) but with a $150K+ track car and other upgrades to reduce curb weight and unsprung weight and power train rotating "flywheel" mass, I don't want to get to literally where the rubber meets the road and say "oh yeah, that's where I decided to cut costs ..." : )

If I can get an appealing price on the wheels, then I'll spend a bit more and expect a lighter, stronger product, otherwise, I'll just get the factory wheels again as a second set and know I won't have any problem.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The OZ HLT wheels are super strong. I ran them on my last car. Blew a tire and went backwards over the race curbing. Tore the tire off the wheel. Not even so much a ding, let alone a bend. There was some curb rash the but the wheel was perfectly round.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:16 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

but with a $150K+ track car and other upgrades to reduce curb weight and unsprung weight and power train rotating "flywheel" mass, I don't want to get to literally where the rubber meets the road and say "oh yeah, that's where I decided to cut costs ..." : )
You will be fine. No worries mate.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:23 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the only major reason for buying superforgiatas over ultralegerras is for the 5-6 pound saving in weight per corner. Beyond that, as stated above, even the ULs would do track just fine...
Old 05-26-2011, 08:13 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

If they made a proper fitment for my car, I would have bought the OZ allegeritas in 18" again. Unfortunately it's a 8.5 up front. Not that I'm disappointed with the CCW's I got from Randy. They're great wheels too. Except for the ****ty BBQ paint they use on them
Old 05-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
If they made a proper fitment for my car, I would have bought the OZ allegeritas in 18" again. Unfortunately it's a 8.5 up front. Not that I'm disappointed with the CCW's I got from Randy. They're great wheels too. Except for the ****ty BBQ paint they use on them

It's not paint....anodized
Old 05-26-2011, 04:28 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
It's not paint....anodized
I'm aware. That was my weak attempt at being humorous It does look like bbq paint though.

The "finish" is starting to flake off already. Gives the car a nice track rat look. No biggie. They're track wheels...
Old 05-26-2011, 07:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Dog seriously all you need to do is wash them real
good spray them
Down with brake cleaner and wash them
Again. Go get some hi temp engine paint and mask off the tires with tape. 3 light coats wait 10-15 min between coats and your wheels will look like new and the paint will not flake off

Quick Reply: What goes around ... wheels for a centerlock RS ... O.Z. Superforgiata Centerlock