Mancation II July '11

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Road America. What an amazing track. The should rename it the mini Ring. Rainin hard this morning. No a place to make mistakes. 1 car totaled first session.

A/C and SC on. LOVE it.

PCA Nord is great. Dave Anderson who pre registered us offered to ride along to show the way. Super nice guys and organization.

Still have no idea where I'm going but look forward to figure it out. Plenty of rabbits to follow

Windows closed!!! Geniusses, many groups should come up here and take notes :-)

8RS's here. Game on.
Windows closed makes sense. That's how PSDS does it.

It's up to the track, not the event operator. If the safety marshall has a clue, he or she will agree to allow windows up (wet or dry) because that's how the airbags work, the windows keep arms and heads inside the cabin during a roll-over and windows present zero impediment to the extraction of occupants (also the glass breaks into beads, not shards, so whatever extra injury risk a window presents is trivial compared to the advantages. Plus I'm sick of paying for the cabin to be detailed after a track day when it's dusty.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Road America. What an amazing track. The should rename it the mini Ring. Rainin hard this morning. No a place to make mistakes. 1 car totaled first session.

A/C and SC on. LOVE it.

PCA Nord is great. Dave Anderson who pre registered us offered to ride along to show the way. Super nice guys and organization.

Still have no idea where I'm going but look forward to figure it out. Plenty of rabbits to follow

Windows closed!!! Geniusses, many groups should come up here and take notes :-)

8RS's here. Game on.
Windows up is actually the safest way...but the clubs down here in Florida will not listen. I had a long discussion at PSDS about this and tried to bring it up to my local PCA Suncoast club but I got zero response. I just emailed them again about this.

Last edited by mdrums; 07-11-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,596 Likes on 739 Posts

+1 guys. Love the windows up.
2nd session 2nd car totalled. Plenty of warnings...Goto be careful here!!
Old 07-11-2011, 03:23 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it still raining
Old 07-11-2011, 03:50 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Windows Up is Safer !!!

I have no clue why the Clubs around here ask for windows down, even for autocross.

Windows Down is Absolute Ostrich sight.

I have had debris enter my eyes on a track day and hurt me bad enough to barely being able to keep them open to slow down and leave the track. Side windows up are safer on a rollover. GT3 Cup comes with windows up, and you can't roll them down. Better communication with instructors. You can run A/C on hot days, as very hot weather can handicap a driver. Point by (the American style for giving a pass) can be done with turn signals and moving away, like it is done where 5.7 billion people live, rather than the 300MM that want to make it different (or special).

Side windows are designed for WorldWide standards, they don't prevent escaping from the car.

The whole windows down thing is probably from NASCAR, and Porsche clubs around here want to follow NASCAR rules (as SCCA and NASA do). These guys need to open their eyes beyond NASCAR, and look at FIA/ACO regulations for GT classes, the closest classes to street cars, not the NASCAR stuff.

NASCAR is windows down because they need to wave the spectators, and their doors don't open, so somehow they need to get in and out of the car.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:59 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Damn! - 2 cars totaled already???? Y'all must be either pretty good and pushing hard or...

Last edited by ATL Fahrer; 07-11-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:25 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 723 Likes on 421 Posts

3 cars down 944 total gt3 damaged backed into wall at turn 4. And gt3 maybe total at carousel. Still I love the track worth the drive from fl
Old 07-11-2011, 04:35 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus ... carnage !!!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Damn! - 2 cars totaled already???? Y'all must be either pretty good and pushing hard or...
The toll is up to Three and another 996 gt3 backed into the wall
Old 07-11-2011, 08:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Windows Up is Safer !!!

I have no clue why the Clubs around here ask for windows down, even for autocross.

Windows Down is Absolute Ostrich sight.

I have had debris enter my eyes on a track day and hurt me bad enough to barely being able to keep them open to slow down and leave the track. Side windows up are safer on a rollover. GT3 Cup comes with windows up, and you can't roll them down. Better communication with instructors. You can run A/C on hot days, as very hot weather can handicap a driver. Point by (the American style for giving a pass) can be done with turn signals and moving away, like it is done where 5.7 billion people live, rather than the 300MM that want to make it different (or special).

Side windows are designed for WorldWide standards, they don't prevent escaping from the car.

The whole windows down thing is probably from NASCAR, and Porsche clubs around here want to follow NASCAR rules (as SCCA and NASA do). These guys need to open their eyes beyond NASCAR, and look at FIA/ACO regulations for GT classes, the closest classes to street cars, not the NASCAR stuff.

NASCAR is windows down because they need to wave the spectators, and their doors don't open, so somehow they need to get in and out of the car.

I personally would LOVE to change this window down rule but since I've only been doing DE's for 6 years I am looked upon as I know knowing and the 10-20+ year guys know everything. When I talk to the track event coordinators they blame it on the track personnel and safety teams. They claim the safety teams all say windows down is safer because they can extract a drive from the car with windows down and can't with windows up. That is there only basis I've ever heard on this subject of windows down as there idea of safety. They also claim that driver do not want to run the airconditioner with windows up and in the summer or pretty much year around here in Florida the air would need to be on, these are probably the same guys on the track that refuse to give me a point by too....But then again I know nothing because they have been doing this so much longer than I have.

I have put into writing every safety feature of windows being up but they will not acknowledge that I have a point many points. I wish I could get ahold of crash test data from Porsche and other car company's to prove that windows up at the speeds we drive ont he track is safer.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
The toll is up to Three and another 996 gt3 backed into the wall
Wow, three wrecks on the first day. That sucks. Hopefully those with 7.2 cars were smart enough to keep SC on. Definitely glad I have it for the rainy track days.

Road America is awesome. I really wish tomorrow will be dry for you guys so you can experience it flat out. It's the only track I've dreamt about in my sleep... perhaps I need to get help lol. But seriously, there are so many parts of that track I absolutely love, from the uphill leading to the front straight, the kink, canada corner, the downhill braking zone into 5...
Old 07-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by masmole
It's the only track I've dreamt about in my sleep... perhaps I need to get help lol.
Perhaps I need help.....I've dreamt about EVERY track I've ever driven.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,596 Likes on 739 Posts

The first 3 sessions were black flagged today.
3 totaled cars and a fire. That;s just in our rungroup!!

Finally got some clean track the last session, ran 2:34's in the dry.
Corded the Toyo's rear, so had them replaced. Swapped front tires.

Easy a few seconds to be found, but after that it will get though.
Heard a GT3 driver say he does 2:27's. I won't get there in 4 more sessions! This is not the track to be overly brave. Must leave reserves to be able to finish Mancation.
The track is fan tas tic. Sebring with elevation. Difficult to learn, even more difficult to go fast.

The PFC brakes and cooling are great. Hard to tell what does how much, butr I am on my 5th. day and no way R29 pagid feels this good after so much hard braking. I am hoping for 3 more hard track days before I take them out. Very little tapering, maybe none. I think the are now 60-70%!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:33 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's great that the brakes feel great after the ponding so far. Just sucks that you can't tell how much the new cooling is working vs the PFC's since it was done all at the same time
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by jenk12m
It's great that the brakes feel great after the ponding so far. Just sucks that you can't tell how much the new cooling is working vs the PFC's since it was done all at the same time
That is what I was thinking...so Peter...go ahead and grab some duct tape and cover those holes for us....

Quick Reply: Mancation II July '11