Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Center lock will be changed by dealers soon

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:30 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT2 anti-roll bar for a Mk.2?

I know it did wonders to the Mk.1 cars but why on the Mk.2? The car seems fine as is.

Maybe they are so slow to react that the bulletin has been issued for the new cars and they don't know any better.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:58 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Usually all new TIs are published in the PIWIS in English within hours or days. Since I don't have a reason not to believe you, maybe the German version was published first, or perhaps Porsche has delayed updating this TI in their WW network.

Will keep checking for it. In the meantime if you have the TI number, please post it.
I ll try figuring it out.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:37 PM
hattawi

Dealer here in Dubai told me that the only difference on the new part is that it has the 600Nm written on it instead of 500Nm.. that's it
Old 05-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yep
Old 05-15-2011, 06:29 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hattawi
Dealer here in Dubai told me that the only difference on the new part is that it has the 600Nm written on it instead of 500Nm.. that's it
So where do I collect my prize??! I believe I guessed that about 60 posts ago...
Old 05-15-2011, 06:32 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche just covering themselves
Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

OK guys just got back from the dealer. They removed the 4 centerlock bolts and checked the part numbers. Mine need to be replaced since they are the old one. Moreover they also checked all the wheelhubs and apparently there is damage to one of the rear hubs too (I believe the thread is damaged). This is something they also are required to check and they will replace this hub also under warranty.

From what I understood the problem is that the "old" centerlock bolt isn't made for supporting 600Nm.

The number he gave me for the recall ("the internal number" he called it) is WB10.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:43 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Something else:

this weekend we have the Porsche Days on the Francorchamps racetrack. A friend of mine with his MK2 RS wanted to drive there so he contacted the dealership. Apparently they are refusing track access to any mk2 cars ( centerlock ) that didn't have the recall work done
Old 05-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

HOLY BATMAN- I'll try and confirm today. I was originally told the increase in torque was nothing for the centerlock bolt.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

HERE IS RESPONSE:

Ok I looked for any information other then the one I already found for you in regards to center lock wheels and I didn’t find anything.

I agree that there is different part numbers for the center lock hubs but they don’t supercede to one another, as far as I can tell.

If there is any damager to his hubs caused by the part itself and not subsequent installation it would be covered under warranty.

I looked but didn’t find anything listed under a wb10 recall or campaign.

ADDITIONALLY

Francorchamps is not here in the US. If for some reason either the club running that specific event or the track officials are restricting access for specific cars due to “recall” work it might be a decision on their part in order to limit potential liability as much as any inherent danger in using the cars without having the work done. Tough to say what the situation is with that…

Last edited by Gofishracing; 05-19-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:36 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If what your telling us is correct ir-fuel, then the Porsche engineers are a bunch of dumbasses (an "r" word actually sprung to mind but i didn't want to be politically incorrect). This makes Porsche no better than Ferrari and their superglued wheel liners... Bad enough they fked up the grease and torque requirements initially but what moron rolls out a fix of just torquing them up without doing stress testing on components to ensure the fix is good? Also, if ur going to introduce new technology, why not test it properly on their prototypes? All the test mules were 5 studs....

They'd better be happy to dip into their pockets to replace my second track set too as they had no right to sell me a dodgey second set in the first place.... If questionable, stock should have been quarantined pending proper testing...
Old 05-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

An interesting anecdote to this CL mess, in the 80's, Porsche's racing program had issues with center bolts on the fabled 956. The factory cars were unaffected, but the privateers repeatedly lost wheels during races. The fix/edict from Norbert Singer, use more torque.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
OK guys just got back from the dealer. They removed the 4 centerlock bolts and checked the part numbers. Mine need to be replaced since they are the old one. Moreover they also checked all the wheelhubs and apparently there is damage to one of the rear hubs too (I believe the thread is damaged). This is something they also are required to check and they will replace this hub also under warranty.

From what I understood the problem is that the "old" centerlock bolt isn't made for supporting 600Nm.

The number he gave me for the recall ("the internal number" he called it) is WB10.
its all very ambiguous... your dealers are replacing them ... our dealers know f-all about it ...
Old 05-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Update- no recall as of yet if at all
here is what I got:

Bobby,
I did a little more research and here’s what I found.
There are 2 technical bulletins in regards to the center lock wheels.
They are as follows;
Ti4405, special applications for driving on race track, which you have
wm440519, removing and installing wheels with central bolt.

Basically it outlines the correct procedure for removing and installing the center lock bolt. I’ve printed a copy that I have here for you and can fax it to you if you’d like to see it right away.

Again, with a specific VIN number I can run it and see anything and all things that would apply to it such as TSB, service updates, campaigns or recalls.
Hope this helps,
jimi

Last edited by Gofishracing; 05-19-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

its all very ambiguous... your dealers are replacing them ... our dealers know f-all about it ...

Quick Reply: Center lock will be changed by dealers soon