Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 GT3-Price depreciation prognostication

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:41 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
That's a bit harsh I'm sure that many who can afford, just appreciate "owning" a nice piece of machinery/jewelry/carbon life form, etc. Plus, bubble-wrappers provide a great service to society, i.e. me.

To original question, at least 2 years, but as has been said, if one is considering an $85k-car, $95 - $100 ain't that far.
Huh, would have never considered Perry B. a bubble-wrapper....

J/K!!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:56 PM
vdodici
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been following this thread with great interest because I'm trying to sell my 11,000 mile 2010 GT3. Wonderful points have been raised about values and they leave me with me with a question. What is a reasonable cost per year for enjoyment of the car? Should we include costs of ownership like insurance and registration, tires, gas, repairs and an occasional reprimand in the depreciation equation?
Cars that don't depreciate typically don't get driven because they are so rare and valuable. They are trailered to shows or they are subject to damage because their owners race them at historic events. Modern day sports cars are manufactured in such numbers that values will be impossible to hold and there's always the latest and greatest version just around the corner. I can accept that my car is loosing its value but, I'm at least accumulating a new strata of bugs for all to admire.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO the 85k vs 100k is pretty irrelevant if you can afford it. Sure the cars depreciation may have slowed a little bit but not by much. You're still basically just paying for the miles you put on it. I'd be more concerned with just getting a good deal. If I can afford a car, I care very little about how much the car costs. It's more about buy vs sell price. The difference is your actual cost of ownership.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vdodici
I've been following this thread with great interest because I'm trying to sell my 11,000 mile 2010 GT3. Wonderful points have been raised about values and they leave me with me with a question. What is a reasonable cost per year for enjoyment of the car? Should we include costs of ownership like insurance and registration, tires, gas, repairs and an occasional reprimand in the depreciation equation?
Cars that don't depreciate typically don't get driven because they are so rare and valuable. They are trailered to shows or they are subject to damage because their owners race them at historic events. Modern day sports cars are manufactured in such numbers that values will be impossible to hold and there's always the latest and greatest version just around the corner. I can accept that my car is loosing its value but, I'm at least accumulating a new strata of bugs for all to admire.
For current model Porsches, I've averaged about $2K/month per $100K of purchase price including all costs and taxes -- driven or not. Add about $1K per track day per $100K of purchase price operating costs, not including sunk costs in safety gear or upgrades.
I put those numbers on a non-linear scale -- it's not proportionately cheaper to operate a $50K 911 or a $25K 911, and dollar amount depreciation is better expressed as a curve that's a percentage expression of a starting price on the x-axis and function of odometer and time on the y-axis. In other words, if the curve depicts a 25% depreciation in the 12-18 months, then 1% per month after the first 18 months (say) then starting at $200K creates a depreciation curve that swoops lower more steeply than starting at $100K or $50K, but as we've seen with the hallowed GT3, once its price swoops down and tends to converge on the humble Carrera pricing, they tend to incur the same depreciation percentages over the longer term (above three years.) If you look at any lease product, it is, by definition, very close to the real/actual cost of owning the given car including lowest possible of cost of capital, plus operating costs.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:01 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Huh, would have never considered Perry B. a bubble-wrapper....

J/K!!

You're funny.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

an 8 cyl should keep people wanting...
Old 05-03-2011, 02:41 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I think I will be right behind you.......I have eight track days and have had car six weeks

6,200 miles and counting

I really dont care about depreciation......if I am not driving my car; I am out pissing it away somewhere else (golf course, bar, fishing ect......) So I figure no matter how you look at it, when not working I spend money

If I die tomorrow, I dont want a low mile car in the garage with a fresh coat of wax for someone else to enjoy

Pay cash for your toys....and accept the money is gone, then the depreciation will not matter
Great philosophy!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:58 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pay cash for your toys....and accept the money is gone, then the depreciation will not matter
Originally Posted by SSTHO
Great philosophy!
Are you nuts?! That's not a great philosophy, that's anarchy! Unbridled chaos run riot! If people lived within their means and spent money they had already earned, well blimey, we wouldn't need central banks! Sovereign nations could print their currency as a promise to pay without debt or interest burden! It would be the collapse of the most powerful fiscal despot overlords in history! The whole country would collapse back to the primitive state of abiding by the Constitution! Good lord, next thing you'll be saying Ron Paul for President!

... and I'll be right with you ...
Old 05-03-2011, 05:29 PM
svp928
Rennlist Member

... and I'll be right with you ...

Me, too!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I will be right behind you.......I have eight track days and have had car six weeks

6,200 miles and counting

I really dont care about depreciation......if I am not driving my car; I am out pissing it away somewhere else (golf course, bar, fishing ect......) So I figure no matter how you look at it, when not working I spend money

If I die tomorrow, I dont want a low mile car in the garage with a fresh coat of wax for someone else to enjoy

Full throated voice of reason and hedonistic pursuits. My new hero. Izzone for President!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:29 PM
danes
Intermediate

I don't think you'll see an 80k (Canadian) price tag. Not for a while.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:14 PM
mthaynes
4th Gear

I think there are a lot of gt3 still on showroom floors . Add the 4.0 to the mix and I am guessing that current lot of gt3 on the floor is going to have an even more difficult time moving. I think as the summer moves on we may see a higher discounting than normal
Old 05-06-2011, 03:55 PM
C4S993
Pro

Mileage is not the holy grail, it is the over rev readout that matters

Last sat bought '07 gt3 cpo for 81k$

Rear tires are near bald and the box has to be rebuilt but what the hell the color is nice and no dash wart.

In two yrs I will trade it in for a 2010

Patrick
Old 05-06-2011, 05:04 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 and congrats!...but how many miles are on your CPO '07? PP or dealer? I plan on doing the same soon...need some comps. Pics?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S993
Mileage is not the holy grail, it is the over rev readout that matters

Last sat bought '07 gt3 cpo for 81k$

Rear tires are near bald and the box has to be rebuilt but what the hell the color is nice and no dash wart.

In two yrs I will trade it in for a 2010

Patrick
presumably the tyres will be replaced and the box repaired under CPO?

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3-Price depreciation prognostication