Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 GT3-Price depreciation prognostication

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by datax
I'm gonna guess, soon after they announce next generation GT3 with 4.0L, 500hp motor. Even in current (and last year) economy (which cannot be called good years), people are still buying .2 RSes like piece of cakes so economy role is rather small, imho.
I think it's either implicit or explicit that the 4.0 RS is the swan song for the mezger GT1 Derived block, so whatever the 991 GT3 emerges with it won't be a 4.0 500 BHP engine... and the best the 9A1 has done to date is 408 with a 3.8 displacement... so our friends at Porsche have to find around 30-50 BHP from that block to exceed the current 997 specifications ... perhaps that block with some of the lw components from the mezger can do this ... I would hope that they prove this engine in the cup and/or RSR race cars before we get it as a homologation in the street car.

I also don't expect either car to be lighter than the current 997s having said that I must applaud the leadership shown by Andreas Preuniger, without him we would not have such great GT cars ... so I am optimistic for the future.

if you believe a GT3 has a mezger GT blocked engine ... I think the 4.0 RS is the last of it's kind!

just my $0.02
Old 05-01-2011, 10:17 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can afford the car now, buy it. Life is too short to wait 4 years to buy something you are desiring.
Or buy a 2007 GT3 and in a few years sell it and upgrade to a newer Gen II or what ever is out there. Why wait on the side line for prices to fall. Its like waiting for the stock market to drop again before investing. May never happen. Who knows what the future holds.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by LonnieR
I want to buy a 2010 GT3. I have learned from the school of overpaying , that if I wait a while, I can get the car I want for 40% off with all the bells and whistles.
So the question I now have is when do think a low mileage 2010 GT3 can be obtained for the 80-85Krange?
Old 05-01-2011, 10:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The odometer is the deciding factor -- if you want low miles on a yearly average or market basis, you're going to be at the high end of the price scale. The low end is probably $100K today, perhaps $90K this time next year. The high end probably another year, call it 2013 for the actual selling prices to get into the $80K range. 2013? Who knows what will happen by then. Either reconsider what you can afford today or love the one you're with.
LOL, i made my 2013 post before i read the whole thread. intereswting we see same dep'n curve.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:48 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

Having watched the .2 market for a while, I would agree with SSTHO that the sweet spot is right at 100k +/- 5K. There are A TON of dealers asking exorbitant prices but those cars are just sitting and will continue to sit. Maybe they will find someone locally who just walks up, falls in love and pays the ask but I think that's the exception.

I would guess an $80-85K GT3 is still 2-3 years away.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:59 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

The 7.1GT3 is the buy...slap on a bypass, get a proper alignment and start smiling!!!

The .2 is great but the .1 is a steal in the 70's!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

If you don't mind red Paul Miller Porsche has a 14k mile car asking 78k.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:22 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LonnieR
Too many posers that find the car too harsh...
That's a bit harsh I'm sure that many who can afford, just appreciate "owning" a nice piece of machinery/jewelry/carbon life form, etc. Plus, bubble-wrappers provide a great service to society, i.e. me.

To original question, at least 2 years, but as has been said, if one is considering an $85k-car, $95 - $100 ain't that far.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:22 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Hey crystal ball guys, what's my tracked hard put away wet RS worth with 50K miles in 2015?
And more importantly how much will a garage queen 4.0 be?

LonnieR be patient, I'm in Delray Beach also and I will continue to have the most depreciated (no damage so far) .2RS in the country (10k miles now), adding 10K a year, daily driver with 24+ track days a year.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I think it's either implicit or explicit that the 4.0 RS is the swan song for the mezger GT1 Derived block, so whatever the 991 GT3 emerges with it won't be a 4.0 500 BHP engine... and the best the 9A1 has done to date is 408 with a 3.8 displacement... so our friends at Porsche have to find around 30-50 BHP from that block to exceed the current 997 specifications ... perhaps that block with some of the lw components from the mezger can do this ... I would hope that they prove this engine in the cup and/or RSR race cars before we get it as a homologation in the street car.

I also don't expect either car to be lighter than the current 997s having said that I must applaud the leadership shown by Andreas Preuniger, without him we would not have such great GT cars ... so I am optimistic for the future.

if you believe a GT3 has a mezger GT blocked engine ... I think the 4.0 RS is the last of it's kind!
It sort of feels like history repeating itself. Moving from the air cooled technology in the 90s in order to stay competitive. Now, moving from the Gt1 block to new technology in order to stay competitive. The GT3 was quicker around the ring then the 430 scud. My question is, the 458 the benchmark for the 991 gt3?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at least they will finally sort out the coolant issue.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Hey crystal ball guys, what's my tracked hard put away wet RS worth with 50K miles in 2015?

LonnieR be patient, I'm in Delray Beach also and I will continue to have the most depreciated (no damage so far) .2RS in the country (10k miles now), adding 10K a year, daily driver with 24+ track days a year.
You can use the depreciation curve of a 2005 997 Carrera and apply to the starting price of any 911, it'll be as accurate as any actuarial table.

As for workhorse versus show pony, the spread of the market is practically impossible to assess as the bell curve thins out -- if you work with the first st-dev, I'd say you could look at the 996 GT3 (nothing scientific, just a suggestion) ... a mint condition 996 GT3 might be 10-15% above the lowest actual selling price on eBay for reasonably clean high milers. As ever, this market is conducted by such primitive buyers and sellers that there's practically nothing other than the odometer involved in the pricing.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust

It sort of feels like history repeating itself. Moving from the air cooled technology in the 90s in order to stay competitive. Now, moving from the Gt1 block to new technology in order to stay competitive. The GT3 was quicker around the ring then the 430 scud. My question is, the 458 the benchmark for the 991 gt3?
There's not really enough to go on from the last two transitions (993 to 996, 996 to 997) but you could make a case for the Carrera S being about the same power and performance as the previous model GT3. I seem to recall reading that Porsche has already talked with the media about reshaping the line-up so that the Carrera S denomination will be the entry level of the 911, with higher and lower tiers arriving later -- as was the case with the Panamera. In any case, we can reasonably assume the next 911 will arrive with about the same performance (be it specific power from the engine or effective performance in some metric such as 0-62mph or the like) and that two years later, we'll see a GT3 that's superior to the previous GT3 by some measurable increment.

Rumor has it that the 991 will be a larger car -- more cabin space, more rear seat legroom and generally a more GT car. Presumably this is to open the way to either keeping the current 911 dimensions or creating the niche to return to a more sports car oriented product with less compromise to be a 2+2 GT and emphasis on competing with two seater sports cars. Here's hoping. This could create the GT3 line up as a separate vehicle, distinct from the Turbo's and from the Carrera's. VW is in the mindset of proliferating (some would call it "scatter gun") models until they find something that sells. This is anathema to a niche enthusiast brand, but so it goes. Porsche enthusiasts are long-suffering customers and the 991 is unlikely to put an end to the madness. Every model genesis creates a juncture where some customers will not agree with the new model and some new customers will be drawn into the product because of the new model -- attrition and growth. I think the 997 is such a distinctive model that Porsche will experience extraordinary customer attrition with the 991.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:22 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
There's not really enough to go on from the last two transitions (993 to 996, 996 to 997) but you could make a case for the Carrera S being about the same power and performance as the previous model GT3. I seem to recall reading that Porsche has already talked with the media about reshaping the line-up so that the Carrera S denomination will be the entry level of the 911, with higher and lower tiers arriving later -- as was the case with the Panamera. In any case, we can reasonably assume the next 911 will arrive with about the same performance (be it specific power from the engine or effective performance in some metric such as 0-62mph or the like) and that two years later, we'll see a GT3 that's superior to the previous GT3 by some measurable increment.

Rumor has it that the 991 will be a larger car -- more cabin space, more rear seat legroom and generally a more GT car. Presumably this is to open the way to either keeping the current 911 dimensions or creating the niche to return to a more sports car oriented product with less compromise to be a 2+2 GT and emphasis on competing with two seater sports cars. Here's hoping. This could create the GT3 line up as a separate vehicle, distinct from the Turbo's and from the Carrera's. VW is in the mindset of proliferating (some would call it "scatter gun") models until they find something that sells. This is anathema to a niche enthusiast brand, but so it goes. Porsche enthusiasts are long-suffering customers and the 991 is unlikely to put an end to the madness. Every model genesis creates a juncture where some customers will not agree with the new model and some new customers will be drawn into the product because of the new model -- attrition and growth. I think the 997 is such a distinctive model that Porsche will experience extraordinary customer attrition with the 991.

perhaps the "cognitive factor" will look like this.. : )
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

I think I will be right behind you.......I have eight track days and have had car six weeks

6,200 miles and counting

I really dont care about depreciation......if I am not driving my car; I am out pissing it away somewhere else (golf course, bar, fishing ect......) So I figure no matter how you look at it, when not working I spend money

If I die tomorrow, I dont want a low mile car in the garage with a fresh coat of wax for someone else to enjoy

Pay cash for your toys....and accept the money is gone, then the depreciation will not matter

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3-Price depreciation prognostication