Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Centerlocks - A Cautionary Tale

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now over 13K miles and 18 track days with CLs. I just had my front brake pads (set 2) and tires (set 3) flipped for wear. After 4 track days on the new stock front rotors (with the nubs reused from my first set), they are starting to show cracks. I am going to be test fitting PF floating rotors in a week as a potential replacement for the fronts.

I have hit my first issue with CLs, but it is not any of the BS listed throughout this thread. I have recently noticed that my CLs have been shifting color from light Gray to light Purple. It looks like the finish is sensitive to brake heat.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
FWIW, I have had no issues with my Forgeline CL wheels and when the tire guys mangled one of them, I had parts within a week. That's a real plus compared to other brands I have used.
No problem getting parts from them. Just don't send one in for repair. You will be lucky if you can get it back in 6 weeks. Been through it twice previously with some of their 2-piece welded wheels where the welds cracked and had to be repaired.

For comparison, I had a tire lose air and pop off a rim in a corner grind down the outside on one of my 3 piece CCWs about a year and a half ago. I shipped it on Monday from TX to CCW in FL. It arrived on Wednesday. John rebuilt the wheel and shipped it back to me the same day as it arrived back in my hands on Friday the same week (out and back in 4 days). He replace both rim halves and the total cost was just $345 with shipping. When it comes to servicing wheels, no one is better than John. It is just taking him forever to make CL wheels.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
). He replace both rim halves and the total cost was just $345 with shipping. When it comes to servicing wheels, no one is better than John. It is just taking him forever to make CL wheels.
second that. i hsould have tempted him by ordering 400 wheels so he would be more interested. then i'll just sell them on RL.

for track use, it's really hard to beat CCW. and he always get them to me so i dont miss my DE or races.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
+1 on BBS. I'm looking for another set.
well, i HAD two sets for sale, you only took one!
now, good luck matching my prices ;=)
Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Now over 13K miles and 18 track days with CLs. I just had my front brake pads (set 2) and tires (set 3) flipped for wear. After 4 track days on the new stock front rotors (with the nubs reused from my first set), they are starting to show cracks. I am going to be test fitting PF floating rotors in a week as a potential replacement for the fronts.

I have hit my first issue with CLs, but it is not any of the BS listed throughout this thread. I have recently noticed that my CLs have been shifting color from light Gray to light Purple. It looks like the finish is sensitive to brake heat.

No problem getting parts from them. Just don't send one in for repair. You will be lucky if you can get it back in 6 weeks. Been through it twice previously with some of their 2-piece welded wheels where the welds cracked and had to be repaired.

For comparison, I had a tire lose air and pop off a rim in a corner grind down the outside on one of my 3 piece CCWs about a year and a half ago. I shipped it on Monday from TX to CCW in FL. It arrived on Wednesday. John rebuilt the wheel and shipped it back to me the same day as it arrived back in my hands on Friday the same week (out and back in 4 days). He replace both rim halves and the total cost was just $345 with shipping. When it comes to servicing wheels, no one is better than John. It is just taking him forever to make CL wheels.

BS?

They are just sharing their experiences and opinions.. just like you do.
Try to respect that, even if you disagree..
Old 06-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I had originally theorized at the beginning of this thread that maybe I had lost a washer in the CL nut assembly. That was not the case. I found it was still on there some time ago.

I did note that nearly every red nipple now has gauling, so next time I change rotors, I'll have to change that hardware. So, the root cause of my problem was the fact that the new wheels had paint where they shouldn't (all the mating surfaces to the hub).

The interesting thing I learned today that I want to share with you all is in regards to the locking mechanism. I had ample time to put everything back together, so I futzed with the locking mechanism for a long while. Porsche documentation tells you that the mechanism needs to come out flush with the outer portion of the splines. I'd only rarely had mine come out all that way. I started to carry a 1/2" socket extension in my track tool bag to jiggle the mechanism. Well, today I didn't give up jiggling and trying until all 4 CL locking mechanisms came out flush exactly as specified. All of them took a good 30 or 40 seconds to get them right.
I have to get a huge rubber mallet to whack the inside of the tire in order to free the damn thing!
I have a 3R breaker bar. I found that the entire square "head" was twisted - a lot! The damn thing is about to break. I suppose the mfg didn't use an appropriate high-grade steel and the new, higher torque spec that Porsche now requires is simply too much for the product.
You're having problems that I haven't encountered -- whatever the root cause, I don't think these problems are representative of the average experience with someone using the centerlocks for a track car and making frequent wheel changes. I've made numerous wheel changes between two factory sets of wheels with no issues (the spline extends into the wheel correctly without coaxing, the alignment pins are scuffed, but not scratched, let alone galled, I've not had a wheel bind or come loose.)

I'm a fan of the centerlock idea, but a critic of this "version 1.0" implementation. I think it needs a steel nut that can take an impact tool. It's also preposterously expensive. And the "Dosey Doe" torquing procedure along with lathering grease makes for an obvious "this needs more thought" situation for Porsche to resolve in future versions. The "mystery" recall that's going on in some parts of the world is also disconcerting. Not what I expect from Porsche. Still, as ever with Porsche, by about version 1.5 or 2.0, these things will be great. They need to replace the cheap metal dust caps with some sort of carbon fiber "cool and light" cap that's held in place with a mechanical device, not a rubber o-ring friction/suction idea ... and a way to quickly and easily remove it without it being damaged at all.

But for now, the centerlock is functionally reliable and trouble free in my experience given 18 months of track use and now three sets of wheels on the car with no drama.

The 3R products have turned out the be pretty weak. The alignment pin isn't durable (it scratches and looks cheap after light use, now their breaker bar isn't strong enough.)

The Porsche telescopic breaker is great and convenient. The Armstrong torque multiplier is a "swiss watch precision" device that I enjoy using just because I really appreciate "no compromise" engineering and a device that simply does what it promises to do -- it turns a gymnastics routine of a "giant" breaker bars and bulky torque wrenches into a rapid procedure that I can do precisely to the factory instructions, in the paddock, no sweat, no drama, torquing the wheels with the car off the ground (pedal depressor is ample for 600nm at the centerlock) and a wheel swap is something I can do during a regular track day without power tools. Not bad.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:44 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Jeez, after reading all these threads, I keep asking "why me?"

And speaking of bad luck, I've had really bad luck with my one-man-brake-tool from Lisle. It worked O.K. (not great) for the first few tries. Now, it doesn't want to hold its spot (extension) any longer. I assume that the spring loaded tab near the union is no longer sharp and not biting into the extension shaft. Can I simply tear it apart and resharpen it?

Has anyone found a better tool for this purpose? I'm a one-man show at home and at the track. I really need a good, reliable tool for this purpose.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:33 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Jeez, after reading all these threads, I keep asking "why me?"

And speaking of bad luck, I've had really bad luck with my one-man-brake-tool from Lisle. It worked O.K. (not great) for the first few tries. Now, it doesn't want to hold its spot (extension) any longer. I assume that the spring loaded tab near the union is no longer sharp and not biting into the extension shaft. Can I simply tear it apart and resharpen it?

Has anyone found a better tool for this purpose? I'm a one-man show at home and at the track. I really need a good, reliable tool for this purpose.
Driving on the track invites any number of "why me?" experiences.

The tool -- do you mean this:
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=91

... or this:
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...s/?product=404

I use the pedal depressor, but they can wear out.

I bought one of these because there's a Home Depot on the way to Laguna and I needed it for a wheel swap ... and it's ideal:
http://www.irwin.com/tools/clamps/xp...amps-spreaders

And for brake flush and bleed, I think just about everyone uses a PowerBleeder now:
http://store.motiveproducts.com/blac...-0109-p21.aspx
Old 06-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
FWIW, I have had no issues with my Forgeline CL wheels and when the tire guys mangled one of them, I had parts within a week. That's a real plus compared to other brands I have used.

My cl is turning purple too

I have seen johns cl wheel

He needs a car for test fit, couple of days

Send me beer and can use mine
Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
My cl is turning purple too

I have seen johns cl wheel

He needs a car for test fit, couple of days

Send me beer and can use mine
There's been other posts/threads about CCW wheels turning purple. I have a set of purple "tie died" CCWs. Sadly, their response was to ask to be paid to have them refinished as if these wheels were abnormal.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:11 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Driving on the track invites any number of "why me?" experiences.

The tool -- do you mean this:
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=91
Yes! Exactly the one I bought. It sucks. I've had it approximately 6 months and it's already toast. I've had to punt and get a neighbor to help me the past 3 or 4 times I've used it, as it wouldn't hold all the way thru the job. It usually is good for the take-off, but then fails me when I bolt the wheels back on. I've tried re-positioning the damn thing dozens of times, but it slips.

I never thought about using a trigger-grip bar clamp. Great idea! I suppose you just flip the clamp parts to face outwards and you're good to go.

Thanks, Carrera GT!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:15 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noted that the spring loaded ball wasn't protruding as it should. Upon closer inspection, I found that the entire square "head" was twisted - a lot! The damn thing is about to break. I suppose the mfg didn't use an appropriate high-grade steel and the new, higher torque spec that Porsche now requires is simply too much for the product.

For those of you who might have this breaker bar, please take a good look at it next time before you use it. I've already written the mfg to alert them and ask for a replacement part.
See pic below. Happened to mine 2 weeks ago. They sent me a replacement but I think it needs to be beefed up.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The Armstrong torque multiplier is a "swiss watch precision" device that I enjoy using just because I really appreciate "no compromise" engineering and a device that simply does what it promises to do -- it turns a gymnastics routine of a "giant" breaker bars and bulky torque wrenches into a rapid procedure that I can do precisely to the factory instructions, in the paddock, no sweat, no drama, torquing the wheels with the car off the ground (pedal depressor is ample for 600nm at the centerlock) and a wheel swap is something I can do during a regular track day without power tools. Not bad.
Are you using the Armstron tq multiplier with tires just barely off the ground and the reaction arm retsing against the ground (pavement/garage floor)? I find the end of the arm is gouging out divots in the concrete garage floor and am inclined to have a longer reaction arm made for less of an acute angle. That doesn't affect the tq multiplication formula does it?

I'll show it to Lar this weekend too since he is a mechanical engineer.
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2011, 12:18 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never thought about using a trigger-grip bar clamp. Great idea! I suppose you just flip the clamp parts to face outwards and you're good to go.

Thanks, Carrera GT!
Last year I converted a trigger grip clamp and it was a bit of a PITA to "flip" it. Have to dissasemble the mechanism which is fussy to reassemble and grind off the tit on the I-beam. So possible but not easy. At least for me.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

well, i HAD two sets for sale, you only took one!
now, good luck matching my prices ;=)
I don't remember 2 sets being available, but then I don't remember much ;-)
Nobody beats your prices. Call me I'll send you a deposit for the 4.0 now.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I whish some of my wheels or wheel nuts would turn purple so I wouldn't look like such a poser...
The best I can do is not wash the BBS and bend the caps..
Old 06-10-2011, 12:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

That Grip thing looks like it might be better, but my regular as above brake tool works fine.
Maybe you pedal is not grippy enough?

Quick Reply: Centerlocks - A Cautionary Tale