Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Centerlocks - A Cautionary Tale

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011 | 07:23 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I hate my $#@! centerlocks. Do a search or ask your dealer for a copy of the bulletin on how to torque them properly. Note, you have to torque the #$@! things while they are off the ground! Makes it a two person job, one on the brakes. You have to use special lube on the centerlock mechanism too - every time. Don't lose the plastic caps either, if water gets in there bad stuff happens. Oh, and make sure the screws in the red nubs are tight every time else the wheel won't seat properly. 50 Newton Meters torque (up from the original 400). A step backwards in MHO.
Bob, I spoke with Kapryel and he said he doesn't grease the nut every time. He inspects it and if there is still sufficient grease the puts it on without extra grease.

But otherwise I agree that it's a PITA.

I did buy the mondo torque wrench that Kap uses. Gotta have the biggest tool in the paddock, you know.
Old 04-19-2011 | 08:01 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

I met a guy at the track on Monday with a new RS and noticed that his centerlocks were not secure (locking teeth not flush) I showed him the trick to align them with a short 1/2" extension.
Old 04-19-2011 | 08:20 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

can you switch them back to 5 lug?
Old 04-19-2011 | 09:48 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
can you switch them back to 5 lug?
I Don't think there's anythin stopping you from converting back. The hardware interchangability should be straight forward.

Strange that this is such an issue. Is this design the same as the CarreraGT, or were there not enuff heavily tracked/driven CGT's to collect the data on?

Aside, ducati and many motorcycle brands use single sided swingarms with a centerlock as well without issue.

Subscribed to the thread as I would like to know more.
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:50 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

long live the 996!!!!
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:57 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
I Don't think there's anythin stopping you from converting back. The hardware interchangability should be straight forward.

Strange that this is such an issue. Is this design the same as the CarreraGT, or were there not enuff heavily tracked/driven CGT's to collect the data on?

Aside, ducati and many motorcycle brands use single sided swingarms with a centerlock as well without issue.

Subscribed to the thread as I would like to know more.
1. Conversion parts and labor would be MONUMENTALLY expensive. Not as simple as you might think at first glance.
2. CarreraGT had different CL's. Cup cars have different CL's. Apples and oranges.

The "issue" occurs because trackrats frequently have wheels off to swap track/street tires, and service the brakes. Proper CL install/removal requires either a second person or a brake depressor tool and wheels off the ground.

They look great and are a massive PITA for trackers. Give me a five lug any day
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:18 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Hey don't panic. Had the same problem last year. Be sure to clean up the mating surfaces. Follow the new torque and lubrication specs. Be sure the locks are engaged.

I just ran 3 days at Mid Ohio with not even having to re-torque. Checked often and all were tight. All I did was make sure I was 600 nm.

Watch the racers, they don't have the car in the air to do final torque. Leave it in gear and set the ebrake tight to set final torque. Hey 4 lugs are a lot less than 20. Get it right, piece of cake.

Just my experiences. All the best.
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:18 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
1. Conversion parts and labor would be MONUMENTALLY expensive. Not as simple as you might think at first glance.
2. CarreraGT had different CL's. Cup cars have different CL's. Apples and oranges.

The "issue" occurs because trackrats frequently have wheels off to swap track/street tires, and service the brakes. Proper CL install/removal requires either a second person or a brake depressor tool and wheels off the ground.

They look great and are a massive PITA for trackers. Give me a five lug any day
On point 1:

You would need - New wheels, new rotors, remove the center lock splines and replace them with the standard nut. and possibly some ods and sods i'm missing. not sure what GT3 rotors cost (probably a cubic ****ton if ceramic) so yeah that might be expensive.

2 - Noted.

Yeah agree with you on the pain in the ***-ness for track rats. had the 9ff conversion back in the day. totally not worth it unless you have a team of whipping boys to do your bidding.

Thanks for the info m8.
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:37 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

One time when a parts-bin special would've been preferred
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I wonder what Porsche is thinking with these Center Locks? WHY???? Why make it so dang hard?

I fear that when I get my GT3 some day it will have center locks and I'll be driving it somewhere and have tire trouble and nobody at any tire place will be able to help and I'll be stranded hundreds of miles away from a Porsche dealer.
Old 04-20-2011 | 12:03 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Thanks to all for your interest and support. I should let you all know that I'm a mechanical engineer, and carry a print- out of the Porsche instructions. This was not the first time I'd had the pleasure of doing this job. I did torque to 600NM with the wheels off the ground. I did follow the torque, loosen, re-torque procedure.

I have to say that my brake pedal depressor (tool that is supposed to make it a one man job) only works about half the time. I was lucky to get help on the numerous occasions I needed it (I was by myself). Anyone else have troubles with this tool?
Old 04-20-2011 | 12:08 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
long live the 996!!!!
I think you have to also include the 997.1 in as well.

Too bad they really didn't offer an option. Personally I would prefer 5 lugs in 18". These 19" center locks are to much trouble and are unsafe.
Old 04-20-2011 | 12:12 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Thanks to all for your interest and support. I should let you all know that I'm a mechanical engineer, and carry a print- out of the Porsche instructions. This was not the first time I'd had the pleasure of doing this job. I did torque to 600NM with the wheels off the ground. I did follow the torque, loosen, re-torque procedure.

I have to say that my brake pedal depressor (tool that is supposed to make it a one man job) only works about half the time. I was lucky to get help on the numerous occasions I needed it (I was by myself). Anyone else have troubles with this tool?
Lar, i know many have used it with success but i think it is hit and miss. I invite dad around for wheel changes and have him mash the pedal hard... On occasions i spin the wheel on him in obtaining the 600nM and he's one tough old bird... I can't see how any tool can put down even greater force than him to get the torque... My feeling is that this is strictly a 2 man job, no pedal depressers... Glad nothing went wrong...
Old 04-20-2011 | 12:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

yep i chk'd and when it exceeded $10k, i stopped.

the only CL worthwhile is cup car. any CL that doesn't allow impact wrench and one man operation is just not going to cut it on track.
Old 04-20-2011 | 12:21 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

I have the Lisle truck pedal depressor, it works well. I've only used it a hand full of times, but have not had any issues with wheel spin.

http://www.tooltopia.com/lisle-21520.aspx

Quick Reply: Centerlocks - A Cautionary Tale