Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Grrr! Pedals Grr!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grrr! Pedals Grr!

So, I tried heel and toeing in my 2010 GT3. Gas pedal is too far to the right and too low for me regardless of technique. So, I bought some aftermarket pedals and fittted them.

Still felt a bit low, just pootling around. So I shimmed the gas pedal up so that it was just a little lower than the brake. Now when I brake very hard, the gas pedal is higher than the brake. Not good.

I have the ceramic brakes, does the pedal move a lot when the brakes heat up? Mine seems to. If that is the case, how do you cope with that at the track and still manage to heel and toe?

Yours, frustrated of Yorkshire.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

I did exactly the same ended up taking the shim off.
With new pads the pedal is just right on the track, once they get to 50% I have to be carefull not to be on the gas when I hit the brake pedal a bit to the right.. Stock I can't reach the gas pedal at all.

On the street it is still difficult, but now I am happy on the track.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:24 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Forget about heel-toeing on the street with new brakes... the difference in pedal height improves (i.e. lowers) somewhat over time like TRAKCAR said, for me it's usually sometime between the first track event and 50% wear...

I did the rennline extended/adjustable pedals before and while it worked great on the street, trackwork became nightmarish as I kept touching the throttle when I got deep into the brakes... gonna keep it stock this time around : )
Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

Heel toe is perfect for me at the track, but not so good in the grocery store parking lot.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:10 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^ +1
Pedals are perfect
Old 03-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Thanks guys. I'll take the shims out. Just 2 weeks until the first track day.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough to H&T with the ceramics at low speeds. The initial bite is so high a very light touch is needed to slow the car. Way easier once the pedal goes lower and more pressure is needed on the track when they're hot and the pedal heights are better matched.
I have PCCBs on my TT and quite regularly eject my briefcase from the passenger seat into the passenger foot well and I no longer stop at Starbucks on the way to work as the lattes are tough to get off the leather dash...
Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 PM
PNUT
Instructor

i experienced the same initial problem with pccb's on my .2 gt3. went with the rennline adjustable pedal set with throttle extension. after one warm up lap, all is in line for proper heel/toe. agreed with others can't do h/t on the street though.
alan
Old 03-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

I agree with everyone above, H+T on the road is very tough esp with the PCCB which seem to be a bit digital on 1st application.

A couple of tips, depending on your height and relative leg/arm length, make sure that your seat is far enough back, this will reduce the angle at the knee&ankle ... also try a shoe like the Piloti Prototipo which has a good broad sole to span the brake/accelerator pedals ...

On track, under heavy braking the pedals are much better positioning relative to each other ...
Old 03-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Makes me feel better about my feeble h&t efforts on the street. The shims are coming out tonight.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I agree with everyone above, H+T on the road is very tough esp with the PCCB which seem to be a bit digital on 1st application.

A couple of tips, depending on your height and relative leg/arm length, make sure that your seat is far enough back, this will reduce the angle at the knee&ankle ... also try a shoe like the Piloti Prototipo which has a good broad sole to span the brake/accelerator pedals ...

On track, under heavy braking the pedals are much better positioning relative to each other ...
+1. Shoe type helps. For instance, on the road, I find loafers by Todd useless but Puma pseudo driving shoes a LOT better.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:10 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i use piloti's as well. can't say i have trouble heal/toe with the .2 RS and PCCB's. street/track, no problems.

Quick Reply: Grrr! Pedals Grr!