Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Back from VIR, What a Car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:22 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Back from VIR, What a Car!!!

First track event of the season and with the GT3, I was so looking forward to this and I was not disappointed at all. The weather was setup just for us, perfect spring day, I even got a tan now

First time with a 911, I was apprehensive, but the car turned out to be very stable, easy to push, and the power is relentless all the way to red line. The first time out on track, I just did not know what I was really doing, just getting acquainted with the car. I had the problems I was expecting: shifting, heel/toe, speed, etc. The second session I was still not feeling the car, but kept going, very sloppy driving, but I stayed on the track, kept SC+TC on. I was very much the unconscious novice.

Saturday was better, I was feeling the car, understanding the signals and feedback, but was very slow. i could not quite figure out why I was slow, so I could not get back to decent lap times. I was running between 2:23-2:26 range. With my CS on R888s I was in the high teens as a reference and my best time was 2:18.8. But at least I was starting to understand the car a little better. Second session, I turned off SC and the car felt better. However, on T3, I was nearly loosing it as the backend came around slightly, maybe 10-12 degrees, but it was slow motion, so easy to catch, no panic

Sunday was much better. I picked up speed, was feeling the car a lot more and was pushing gently. My times started to drop into the teens. In the mean time, BMAN and Skip, with their GT2s were absolutely flying. They had about 6-8 seconds a lap on me.

During my second session on Sunday with SC off, again going into T3, I came too close to the edge of the road and dropped the rear wheel off, and the backend immediately started coming around. This time the rotation was much faster, but still slow mo compared to the CS, but I think I had a good 50-60 deg angle on the car; I caught it with the first countersteer, which the car responded immediately, then I knew it was going into a tank slap, so I immediately countersteered to the other side, and caught that one, and one last small countersteer back to the other side and car was straight and we were onto our merry way Not that I recommend this, but it was a great confidence builder for me, because I think I now have a much better understanding of how the car will behave with the rear, which is quite docile if you ask me

Here are few quick notes:
  • With SC+TC on, I was on average 5-6 seconds slower. The PSM light comes on even on a straight line while upshifting. When it intervenes, it is quite imperceptible, but the flashing light is just annoying. So, I am going to run with at least SC off from now on, I am not sure about TC yet.
  • I could not feel, yet, any difference between having the rear wing fully down or up between sessions. But with the wing full up, I cannot see anything in the back, so I had to adjust my side mirrors to compensate.
  • With the PASM ON, the shocks are really nicely valved for a street car on the track that the curbs were not an issue, quite smooth still.
  • The front end pushes a little on hairpins, but otherwise the turn-in is quite instentaneous and steering is very direct, as you would expect from any Porsche, but especially the GT cars.
  • I hadn't imagined how wonderful it is to have such a high redline.
  • There is still quite a bit of body lean, where it is a little beyond the point of giving good feeback to driver about the limits. I was loosing confidence on some of the corners due to the body roll. But seats are absolutely great
  • On the back straight, the car hit 150 according to logger and on the front straight 142. GT2 guys were about 6-7 mph faster on the back straight, but about 3-4 on the front. The GT2s definitely get there a little faster than the GT3, but the difference was not very significant. The difference between GT2 vs 3 acceleration was more pronounced on the shorter straights and in between corners.
  • Stock brake pads held up through the whole weekend without any fade or other issues. But my pedal now has a very nice travel compared to before
  • At the end, I was able to do 2:16s consistently on Sunday and started dipping into 15s in the last session, as a reference that is exactly 3 seconds faster than what I could do in my Cayman. Given the fact that I was so familiar with the Cayman and used R888s on it vs. first time with a 911/GT3 and with street tires, I think it is a testimant to how good of a track car the GT3 really is.
  • The best part though, when it is all said and done, you just get into it and drive home just like any other day; perfect double duty car

And while I was on the grid for the last session, look what showed up behind me like a legend, I immediately knew who's car that was, once upon a time :

Old 02-21-2011, 03:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Wonderful

And i agree that the only downside is the xar leans a lot
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice meeting you and it was a great experience learning a new car after 11 years in the 3rd Gen RX7.

I'll post something in the HPDE section later.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:42 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It was very nice meeting you as well Fritz. You were still much faster than I was, I could not even keep you in my sights that session. I hope you'll join us for Zone 2 event as well.

Cheers,
Old 02-21-2011, 04:45 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you mean turn 3 or turn 4 at VIR?

I personally, when new to the gt3, did a tank slapper tracking out in corner #1/#2 as you have a lot of steering angle in the car, the tires where not yet warm, my brain was not yet warm, 1st session of the year, etc.

Corner 4 is obviously a corner that is almost designed to get a loose rear end in a gt3 and as you get faster, a slight counter steer is going to be required almost every lap as you get to the tire's limits.

But, if you actually mean #3, the corner where you brake from turn-in to basically a few feet past the apex, where was the car getting loose? Under braking? After throttle application? If under braking it almost sounds like the LSD wasn't doing it's job? If under accel, maybe too abrupt application of throttle, rear tires too hot or shot?

Was the car loose anywhere else?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
It was very nice meeting you as well Fritz. You were still much faster than I was, I could not even keep you in my sights that session. I hope you'll join us for Zone 2 event as well.

Cheers,
I'm signed up for BMW this coming weekend and Zone 2 as well.

I was hoping to run similar lap times to my 3rd gen (2.05s) but I was wrestling that car like a rabid squirrel. Come to find out the rear tires were completely done. No tread at all on the 710s they looked like slicks while the fronts were great so lets just say turn in was super good. I shot some vid my 1st time out in it on Saturday and ran a 2.11 but Sunday my wife drove off with the camera although I later heard from some folks timing it that I ran a 2.08. I only drove it 3 sessions because I was also driving my FD.

PS shifting into the 5th is just SILLY and the brakes.........
Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
And while I was on the grid for the last session, look what showed up behind me like a legend, I immediately knew who's car that was, once upon a time :

OMG!!!

I REALLY miss her. It is absolutely in the right hand with Fritz and she will continue to liver a wonderful motorsports approve life at VA
Old 02-21-2011, 05:02 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Mike, I have received a request from the new owner to change your avatar. : )
Old 02-21-2011, 05:03 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
I'm signed up for BMW this coming weekend and Zone 2 as well.

I was hoping to run similar lap times to my 3rd gen (2.05s) but I was wrestling that car like a rabid squirrel. Come to find out the rear tires were completely done. No tread at all on the 710s they looked like slicks while the fronts were great so lets just say turn in was super good. I shot some vid my 1st time out in it on Saturday and ran a 2.11 but Sunday my wife drove off with the camera although I later heard from some folks timing it that I ran a 2.08. I only drove it 3 sessions because I was also driving my FD.

PS shifting into the 5th is just SILLY and the brakes.........
lol

You got another set of rear V710 coming Fritz

Great time at VIR and I can't wait to see your video. Yes, these brakes are amazing! Sorry I have to borrow your RS for my avatar. I will have new one soon in couple weeks

Cheers

Mike
Old 02-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikymu
OMG!!!

I REALLY miss her. It is absolutely in the right hand with Fritz and she will continue to liver a wonderful motorsports approve life at VA
Midway through your 1st corner in the cup this thing will be long forgotten.

BTW thanks again for hooking me up with such lovely machine
Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Mike, I have received a request from the new owner to change your avatar. : )
OK, OK ... I will use a real picture of myself

Midway through your 1st corner in the cup this thing will be long forgotten.

BTW thanks again for hooking me up with such lovely machine
You are welcome Fritz. Great buyer and RS is in the right home for sure!

My first time out in the Cup was ... scary. Will need time to get use to of the beast with slicks.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:12 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks for complying : )

BTW Fatih great write up!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

lol

You got another set of rear V710 coming Fritz

Great time at VIR and I can't wait to see your video. Yes, these brakes are amazing! Sorry I have to borrow your RS for my avatar. I will have new one soon in couple weeks

Cheers

Mike
The vid is terrible (camera started leaning etc...) but I'll likely still add it to you tube and post it up because after all it's my 1st time out in "Fiona". Who knew an Oger was so fast but DAMN she's light on her feet for a big girl
Old 02-21-2011, 05:20 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

The vid is terrible (camera started leaning etc...) but I'll likely still add it to you tube and post it up because after all it's my 1st time out in "Fiona". Who knew an Oger was so fast but DAMN she's light on her feet for a big girl
It maybe a green Oger but will transform into a knockout princess in your hand
Old 02-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

It maybe a green Oger but will transform into a knockout princess in your hand
It's a knock out princess in my wifes hands. Watching her wheel that thing back from the track, doing some fly by runs or just sitting in it etc.... sparks some red wood growth and.........

Last edited by Fritz Flynn; 02-21-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Back from VIR, What a Car!!!