Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Back from VIR, What a Car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 05:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Thanks for the write up
I've little use for the TC and SC. The car is just so easy to control. Unless it rains, than it is a nice catch net.

I wish I was there.. Going back to VIR April 20+21 for some coaching and try for a decent laptime in non 95F weather this time :-)

And i agree that the only downside is the xar leans a lot
I kinda like the leaning, the old car felt harser, the new one you can play with the weight transfer easier and the car sticks pretty good anyway.
If you lower the car maybe 10mm front and rear to maintain factory rake it is a little less already. DEM also make it less harmful I think...
Old 02-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I found my lap times at VIR the same as Watkins Glen +/- all things being equal
Old 02-21-2011, 06:04 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Do you mean turn 3 or turn 4 at VIR?

But, if you actually mean #3, the corner where you brake from turn-in to basically a few feet past the apex, where was the car getting loose? Under braking? After throttle application? If under braking it almost sounds like the LSD wasn't doing it's job? If under accel, maybe too abrupt application of throttle, rear tires too hot or shot?

Was the car loose anywhere else?
It was T3, not 4. T4 is slow enough to slide the car, but I was not trusting my brakes yet to brake into it late, so I was quite stable (read slow) through there.

But yes, T3 entry under braking with slightly steering input. Even a GT2 passenger noted that it was looser in my car than his going into T3. I thought about the LSD as well. I think it is working as under power I can feel it, but this particular turn has me timid right now. I think the overrun of the LSD is just not aggressive enough for the track work. Going into there 85-90 mph and trying to scrub down to 65-70 in a short distance with steering angle, the car was jiggly.

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
I'm signed up for BMW this coming weekend and Zone 2 as well.

I was hoping to run similar lap times to my 3rd gen (2.05s) but I was wrestling that car like a rabid squirrel. Come to find out the rear tires were completely done. No tread at all on the 710s they looked like slicks while the fronts were great so lets just say turn in was super good. I shot some vid my 1st time out in it on Saturday and ran a 2.11 but Sunday my wife drove off with the camera although I later heard from some folks timing it that I ran a 2.08. I only drove it 3 sessions because I was also driving my FD.

PS shifting into the 5th is just SILLY and the brakes.........
I know, going into 5th on the back straight and the car still accelerates strongly, I would not have believed it if I was not in the car

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
BTW Fatih great write up!
Thank you

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks for the write up
I've little use for the TC and SC. The car is just so easy to control. Unless it rains, than it is a nice catch net.

I wish I was there.. Going back to VIR April 20+21 for some coaching and try for a decent laptime in non 95F weather this time :-)

I kinda like the leaning, the old car felt harser, the new one you can play with the weight transfer easier and the car sticks pretty good anyway.
If you lower the car maybe 10mm front and rear to maintain factory rake it is a little less already. DEM also make it less harmful I think...
Thanks Peter. If I knew you were going to be at VIR in April, I would have schedule it for me too, give me some details if you don't mind, I'll see if I can adjust my schedule, love to meet ya

I actually like soft-setup cars and the lean, this one was a little more than I was expecting, it was almost the same amount as in my CS. I will adjust the A/R before next time in March, see if it makes noticeable difference, probably not.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:34 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My guess is that it is partially LSD related but make sure you are running 2mm per side rear toe in, run the wing at near max and likely stiffen the front bar by one hole

If the car is loose on entry there, I just can't imagine the car being remotely easy to drive fast.

Did you turn into 16 under power and then trail brake to 17? If so, was the car also loose here?

Or, how about turn 10, where you trailing the brakes to the apex here? was it stable?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on your maiden voyage Fatih, at the track anyway. Glad you are happy with the new machine. You, Brian, and Skip have got the jump on me.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

Congrats on pulling off a VIR event this time of year. It's been a harsh winter for the Mid-alantic.

Update: another system on the way - looks like you really threaded the needle....
Attached Images  

Last edited by Nizer; 02-21-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:49 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Great write-up! Your experience sounds very familiar to mine this weekend - steep learning curve with the car and more power than one could imagine. But, by the end of the weekend, a true blast to drive.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Nice meeting you and it was a great experience learning a new car after 11 years in the 3rd Gen RX7.

I'll post something in the HPDE section later.
was your FD modded? if so, the RS probably is slower on straights. RS is not hard to learn, just keep the loud pedal down you be fine
Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Thanks for the write up

it leans, but it still has grip.
however my lower back is f up from mt bk'g. so if too much lean, i try to straighten up then after 20 min session, i can't stand up or get out of the car. that's what happened when i drove the 2010 RS at TH first time. then fixed it with 3200mg of ibu., yeah, i tend to overdose on those....
Old 02-21-2011, 08:14 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Must feel good to have popped your cherry with it. I find T3 to be a bit of a 4 wheel drifter, so just tweak the wheel to the right and get on the gas, you'll be fine.

Heard weather was great. I'm bummed.. my friend who is racing in the Patron challenge this year rented VIR out today (75 degrees out), and invited me to bring my car. Open track all day with only 2 other cup cars on it. This week is the only time in 5 years where I couldn't reschedule to get to the track!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First and foremost, I love to see threads like this where someone has a ton of enthusiasm for their car for what it is. It is just so fantastic to hear people truly love their cars and getting out there on track with their cars doing what they are designed to do, go fast!

Peter, just sent in my check and am totally looking forward to this event! This might be my only time at VIR this year to looking forward to making the best of it. I wonder what the track schedule will be like this year? Oh, wait a minute it is open track all day, both days!

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Thanks Peter. If I knew you were going to be at VIR in April, I would have schedule it for me too, give me some details if you don't mind, I'll see if I can adjust my schedule, love to meet ya
OK Mr FlyingToaster, here are the details. Open track for 2 days with David Murry in the paddock reviewing data and video for you til you are blue in the face. He is around all day for the two days to answer any questions for you. He will not go out for a ride in your car as his program seems to be more of trying to help as many as he can in the paddock. Did I say open track with NO run groups for 2 days? It would be great for you to attend also as I am planning on bringing my GT3 also and would love to try to keep up with you. Bring plenty of gas and brake pads and other stuff. It would be great if you could come!

http://davidmurry.com/
Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Flying, thanks for the great write up. It felt like I was in the car with you as you described everything. My 1st time there in my gt3 I was running 2:18's and now I've done 2:09's with more to go. I've only been there a few times but I love it every time except for when it rains for 3 days with the zone 2 event a couple years ago.

Peter, I think I'm going to try and make David murray's event(I saw him personally today) and I may be in my new toy by then
Old 02-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
was your FD modded? if so, the RS probably is slower on straights. RS is not hard to learn, just keep the loud pedal down you be fine
The FD is track prepped at 330 rwhp and 2650 weight. I'm sure lots of GT3s have seen it on track. I usually instruct with PCA (first settlers) 1 or 2 times a year.

I found the RS was actually faster down both the back and front straights but I was having a hell of time in the corners. I hope it was the bald rear 710s if not I'll have to work on my driving skills some more before I run a respectable time in it.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Great write up, can't wait to get mine to the track.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 PM
FLM911
Racer

+1 on the David Murray event in April. Look forward to seeing you there.

Enjoyed a day at VIR last Thursday, just a few friends where we took advantage of their winter testing day rates. Awesome day out, cant be often the weather is mid 60's in February.

Quick Reply: Back from VIR, What a Car!!!