Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2RS Delivery Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:12 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats brotha - must of been one hell of a day!!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:44 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Pete, as Mobonic put it- YOU ARE LIVIN' THE DREAM and we through you... Congrats and enjoy!!!

Considering there was no discussion about future products, what about the topic of Porsche burying their heads up their asses regarding coolant fittings?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Fun Fact- Nevada has the greatest and most dense area of mountains of any place on Earth after Afghanistan!
I guess the last time I was in Reno, I missed the roadside billboard "Welcome to Nevada -- second only to Afghanistan!"

: )

Any "High Plains Drifter" action video in the new big dog?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WHOA!! Congrats. I guess you aren't getting a Scud

Congrats again
Old 02-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Pete: Congrats! Looks like a great event and the car looks sweet. And it's nice to see blue skies and people that aren't all dressed like Eskimos. Look forward to hearing more about your conversation with AP.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very Nice - ENJOY!!

GT2RS is on my bucket list....
Old 02-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Caught this on the pillar of the Cup: http://www.formandfunction-thebattle.com/high

Very German avant-garde...
Old 02-07-2011, 10:13 AM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Congratulations, Pete !

You are one of our heros here !

Enjoy in good health !
Old 02-07-2011, 10:19 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
wonderful pete.
congrats and hope to see it soon.
You will John

Originally Posted by FFaust
Pete, what took you so long As you know, we've all been waiting patiently, lol.

Love it! And those pics with all that white stuff

BTW, don't forget to remove the "(on order)" from you sig.
Francois- man, it was a whirlwind, no time Sig fixed

Originally Posted by Polarporsche
Congrats Pete, that's a beautiful car. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on this latest Porsche creation. Your post here on RL are informative & sincere, from the heart of a true enthusiast. Enjoy your new ride my friend.

I'm heading to Spring Mountain later this month for the PCA DE event, are your coming out for the event?
Russ- thanks for the kind comments. I got the notifications from LV PCA and not sure if I can make it as much as I want to. Let me see how things shake out. Presume you all are loading the transporter and coming down in another Canadian Invasion?

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Slow hopes that despite the autograph you didn't hesitate to ask the right questions!

Enjoy the car in good health!; I will forgive you nevertheless : )
Lol, info at the end of this post John.

Originally Posted by nash
I knew I recognized 395 in those pics... will be driving the same route next week up to Mammoth. Love the car, enjoy it!
Thank you Nash. Hopefully your driving weather is as good as mine was. Really lucked out this time of year. I love the Mammoth area.

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Wow Pete! Congratulations!

Looks to be as spectacular as expected. Love the RED.

Hope to get a chance to see it soon.

Phil
Haha, thanks Phil! In person the red/black really pops. Massive presence, too much for a daily driver because of the attention it gets. Cameras out and people coming over to talk in the backest of back woods places. "Hey! I heard this was the baddest Porsche ever!"

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Very nice.
Thanks Mike.

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
Congrats...such a beautiful car
Thanks DD GT3 RD.

Originally Posted by mobonic
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!!

Im so happy for you pete!
Lol, you are living the dream too Shahin! Thank you for the kind words! See you at Laguna Seca again this year my friend!

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
very, very awesome, mr. savvy!
congrats.
so the question begs to be asked: how does it rate against your 3?
Thanks Jimmy. OE to OE: 2RS tighter, stiffer, better shock tuning, power out the wazoo. At first glance the 2RS might be thought to be a 3RS with a turbo stuffed in it. But there is massive refinement built into the 2RS. If I could afford to risk the 2RS on track regularly, I might never drive my 3RS again. And OF COURSE the 3RS is a hugely potent track tool.

Originally Posted by 1198r
absolutely Brilliant Pete - very very happy for you. Look forward to hearing your opinion compared to 3RS. Keep safe.
Thank you for the kind comments Carl!

Originally Posted by Serge944
Congrats brotha - must of been one hell of a day!!
Whew

Originally Posted by 911rox
Pete, as Mobonic put it- YOU ARE LIVIN' THE DREAM and we through you... Congrats and enjoy!!!

Considering there was no discussion about future products, what about the topic of Porsche burying their heads up their asses regarding coolant fittings?
Thanks Chris. We are all living the dream, to have such great cars. Truly a golden age for sports car lovers. See below for comments.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I guess the last time I was in Reno, I missed the roadside billboard "Welcome to Nevada -- second only to Afghanistan!"

: )

Any "High Plains Drifter" action video in the new big dog?
Everyone knows, no need for for the billboards No good opportunities to explore the drifting action and I drove past El Mirage due to lingering worries over the CEL

Originally Posted by Ritesh
WHOA!! Congrats. I guess you aren't getting a Scud

Congrats again
Thanks Ritesh, lol, Hopefully someday, I remain in love with the looks of the F cars.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Pete: Congrats! Looks like a great event and the car looks sweet. And it's nice to see blue skies and people that aren't all dressed like Eskimos. Look forward to hearing more about your conversation with AP.
Warren, you would have loved and appreciated it all I am sure. We really lucked out weatherwise on the drive home.

Originally Posted by DRPM
Very Nice - ENJOY!!
GT2RS is on my bucket list....
Thank you DRPM! If you can lay hands on one I assure you that you will not be disappointed.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM
plima
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you (and that beautiful car!) going to be at Bill Pearce today? Love to see it in person, and, oh yeah, meet you!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 AM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What to say? Congratulations!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:27 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Ok here are my recollections of what was discussed at the event regarding "issues". For sure I will forget several things. My wife and I walked into the reception (on Friday night, delivery was Saturday), got some drinks and I headed straight over to the man who is not easy to miss- Andreas Preuninger. His title is "Motorsport - Project Manager High Performance Cars". GT2, GT3 and Cup cars are what he develops. He is a tall and lanky fellow as you can see in the pics and an engineer by trade and training. I introduced myself by name and he replied "Ah, savyboy..."

What followed was many hours of one-on-one discussion over the course of two days. Dinner that night was assigned tables and assigned seating...someone was kind enough to insure Mr. Preuninger and I were seated together He is a gentleman, no BS, and an ultra-motorsport enthusiast.

Preamble: He knew who I was, where I lived, what cars I own, the mods I have done or are in progress, that I had purchased a set of GT2RS tires from Tirerack last week, and the details of many of my posts on most forums. Porsche reads the forums. RL, Piston Heads, Team Speed, 6Speed, Rennlist 2.0

No discussion was had or allowed on projects in progress other than when asked, said the 4.0 litre (which was already announced to dealers some months ago) would be a low production, not a limited production car. It won't be numbered like the 2RS.

Coolant fittings: Internally it has been reported and documented that only 30 or so instances of this happening out of the tens of thousand of engines in cars. They are not aware it is happening with any regularity (I don't know how to reconcile this against the knowledge they read the forums?). Someone else has started a thread to try and document this issue and I think that is a very good idea to sum the results and send them to Mr. Detlev Von Platen, head of PCNA.

The ones they examined appeared to not have not had properly applied epoxy. Andreas committed to me the issue would be looked at with new eyes given my comments to him of knowing personally of the people the coolant fittings came loose.

He was aware and friendly towards the idea of the fittings being either welded in or drilled and locked with a screw.

Limited Slip Diffs: Again, they had not considered that there might be a problem here. I discussed the many posters and track pals non-working diffs and my LSD symptoms and lack of preload and he agreed to take this under discussion with his powertrain engineers.

PCCB specific brake pad wear(bevel)/ceramic rotor wear
: Nature of the tracking beast and very dependant upon driving style. Critical to bring the brakes up to temp and even more to to allow for cool down laps(s) on track or in pits. Don't get into the ABS in every brake zone, go to threshold braking and modulate off a bit.

PCCB: Don't use P50 green pads. Abrasive to the rotors and the friction charecteristics are simply not safe for street use. Yes, they do better for 100% track use and hold up better at high temps, but at the expense of rotor wear. Yes, I know this will ignite a firestom of comment.

PCCB: Use the OE P40 pads. Yes they crack and yes they have to be flipped but are your only choice.

He is going to look at some other options on brake systems and manufacturers.

Welded in roll bar mount plates: He was surprised by this as being an issue. Not installed for non-Clubsport equipped cars as the additional parts/welding adds approx 3 kg. And they never thought so many drivers would want to add the roll bar. He said he would make sure the 991 GT cars got the plates installed either as a selectable option or in all cars.

What I quickly found was they consider weight reduction to be the holy grail, the most critical aspect of their design. Andreas advised if given a car with a Clubsport package he would remove the roll bar to save the weight which he considered to be a massive penalty And the Walter Rhorl would do the same. They HATE anything that adds weight. That point was came though time and time again.

Break-in: Warm the engine oil before driving hard! Most critical factor. Don't lug the engine in a high gear at a low rpm. Don't hit the top of the rpm band for the first couple hundred miles and vary speeds and rpms. That's it.

What did I forget?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by plima
Are you (and that beautiful car!) going to be at Bill Pearce today? Love to see it in person, and, oh yeah, meet you!
Plima, yes approx 9 AM or so. Be sure to come introduce yourself! Jess Lattin the excellent Porsche Master Tech there was IM'ing me yesterday going nuts to see it.

Doug and Dennis, if you are reading, come by if you can?

Originally Posted by my911rs
What to say? Congratulations!
Thanks, every enthusiast should have one
Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice Color Choice!!

Hear you cornered Preuninger for hours! What a score, that alone was worth the price of admission! What nobody else cared...We now know who the enthusiast really is.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 AM
savyboy
Drifting

GT3RS vs GT2RS

Wow how do you compare two caviars? Two lovely women? Two pieces of art by a master?

Nutshell- the 2RS is the final perfected iteration of the 997.2. How about that?

It just feels refined and out-of the-box ready to destroy any car on any track. Or, any twisty mountain road?

Control inputs and weightings are calibrated to work together perfectly. The suspension is a masterpiece. I was very worried it was a warmed over 3RS and a parts bin exercise and Andreas and I obviously were able to joke about this as seen in my hood autograph

The road feel and dampening must be experienced to be appreciated. After a TEN hour drive home in the Sport Buckets we were not feeling beat up at all.

Power delivery is linear and perfeltly predictable. It feels like a N/A engine that comes on the cam. And it pulls all the way to redline. That is how the 2RS power delivery differs from the GT2 in the upper 2000 rpms of the powerband. It is creamy smooth diesel locomotive pull until time to hit the brakes and preserve your drivers license. The way this thing builds speed is astounding.

Clutch feel is superb, with a long engagement point and not a heavy pedal.

Ride comfort is awesome. Someone spent a lot of time dialing in the dampers.

Personally, I find the GT3RS to be fun and games (that is a good thing). And the GT2RS to be simply intoxicating. It is on another level.

I'm sold, with no reservations.

Quick Reply: GT2RS Delivery Pics