Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2RS Delivery Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
$2990 for pair is good, if that is for each seat - it is crazy as recaro cs sporster (which is almost identical to gt2 seat) is about of $1600 each, in leather.

i still do not understand why real sport car which porsche is cannot have 6 point harness installed from a factory or a factory built cage. it just would be easier to do that frame work at a factory than later to open up car and put in that cage or a rollbar.
or may be official Porsche position is that those cars do not need neither for safety and are fine to roll over without any safety additions? that would be an interesting concept, if it is really true and tested and stock pillars are strong enough. but i kinda doubt it.
AFIAK, the 2990 is the option price for the pair installed at the factory, they run around $6500 a pair from dealers "aftermarket".

FYI the RoW "clubsport" package that has been available for every GT3 since the original model is exactly that; seats, 6 pt harnesses and typically a 1/2 cage (with the full cage being optional/delivered but not installed).

NA is not offerred this option; I believe it is due to some DOT restriction, others have stated that no such exists, but it is a market decision by PCNA, either way we dont get it ... everyone else does.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Don't get into the ABS in every brake zone, go to threshold braking and modulate off a bit.
was not aware that one could get to "Threshold" with ABS and not have it activate. As taught to me at my early Skippy race school days, it is at the
99+/100 moment of pre-lock up that we are to achieve "threshold" (they like smoke coming off the wheels!)

Congrats and please enjoy in health and safety. She's a beauty.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:46 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
... everyone else does.
as usual.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:48 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sweeper
Is it the same clutch as the 3RS??
The feel is very different. My tech thinks it has a hydraulic assist of some sort. Without looking at part numbers I would guess as well the disk and pressure plate have to be upgraded to handle the big increase in power going through it.

Originally Posted by slavik
congrats on picking up such a special and great car! looking forward to hearing your feedback
congrats again!
Thanks Slavic, feedback is all positive so far.

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Congrats Pete- beautiful car and BEAUTIFUL RED!!! One question is what is the reported weight of the gt2rs and what is actual? It's mind-blowing that with turbo's being in the back it's amazing what they did in terms of weight reduction. The hood is a weight reduction item but like to know what else. Thanks and enjoy!! Mike
I knew you would appreciate a red car Mike! Thanks for the kind comments. As soon as I get the car on my scales/alignment platform I will give you an answer. They gave us the weight, wet, in kg and I did not write it down, and I don't want to guess. It feels light with approx 400lbs of people and cargo. And my very short time driving on the runways (full of rock and crap) was not much to form an opinion from.

There is a laundry list of lightened items.

Originally Posted by RollingArt
This reminds me what I forgot to mention earlier.

Good luck keeping your driver's license!
I want a ride. BAD.

Phil
Lol Phil...I am old enough to hold back on driving wild on the street. Yesterday was police all over the place. I locked in 5 mph over (well, 99% of the time) and just enjoyed the ride.

Originally Posted by cfjan
Congrats on the car!!

I am totally surprised by the P50 comment.. consider that's what Porsche recommends for track use.. ?!? Conflict message there.. ! Very interesting..
Thanks CjFan. No conflict really, those are 100% track cars. They came out with a memo a couple years ago rescinding their recommendation of P50 for any car that is street driven.

Originally Posted by sin911
Damn! Congrats Pete The car looks awesome!

Enjoy in good health
Haha, thanks Sin!

Originally Posted by Nizer
Encouraging that he/they're such active followers of the forums.

What a fantastic opportunity - can't believe others weren't all over him.
Agreed. You would have been all over him wouldn't you?

Originally Posted by sin911
And I always assumed that the 2RS was going to have too much power making half unusable until I read some reviews which say quite the opposite... They say finally the GT2's chassis was made to hold and control the power easily.

Can't wait to see what they can do on the track
It is fully usable. It is a very easy car to drive.

Originally Posted by jbigelow
CONGRATS PETE!!!!!!
Thanks JBigelow!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:58 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Pete thanks for a very interesting post!

Nothing better than a good conversation, between two gentlemen.

Kudos to you for not wasting this opportunity despite your granted enthusiasm for this very special day.

I am pretty sure that you cannot post the full extent of what was discussed between you and Mr. Preuninger (sic because he will read my post) but from your points above and trying to read between the lines, I see a lot more than what you wrote.
I didn't get my answers ; (not that I had any hi expectations about it); Someone made the right questions and someone was there to give some answers!
All I can say is that it’s a good start! : )

Thanks again and waiting for the first video from the track together with a more detailed comparison with the 3RS. Mikymu’s cup doesn’t stand a chance at least until he learns the sequential.. : )

Ps. Dear Porsche excuse me for all the times that I said something bad, I am big fan, a true supporter and I hate red Fiat’s. My car weighs 2700pounds so I am sure that Andreas and Walter like me. Please consider this before you judge me..
Old 02-07-2011, 03:59 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand not using P50 on the street due to the lack of cold bite.. But from your conversation, it sounds like even at track, P40 is preferred, due to less abrasiveness to the rotors.. i.e., people who run P50 is to trade the life of the rotor with slightly more performance.. But I thought it was the other way around.. i.e., running P40 on the track would result in potential overheating / pads cracking (and might result in rotor damage), etc. That's what I meant that is it somewhat conflicting...
Old 02-07-2011, 04:02 PM
savyboy
Drifting

My tech found what he thinks was the cause of my CEL and oil/water guage weirdness, a vacuum hose had come loose from a part that controls the flow of coolant. While digging in to fix the problem, he removed a throttle body bracket. It's billet aluminum and quite a lovely piece:
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Agreed. You would have been all over him wouldn't you?
I think I could've come up with one or two if I really thought about it...

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Ps. Dear Porsche excuse me for all the times that I said something bad, I am big fan, a true supporter and I hate red Fiat’s. My car weighs 2700pounds so I am sure that Andreas and Walter like me. Please consider this before you judge me. : )
Slow: I suspect they'd give you a pass on your avatars alone...at least until recently.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:14 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Pete thanks for a very interesting post!

Nothing better than a good conversation, between two gentlemen.

Kudos to you for not wasting this opportunity despite your granted enthusiasm for this very special day.

I am pretty sure that you cannot post the full extent of what was discussed between you and Mr. Preuninger (sic because he will read my post) but from your points above and trying to read between the lines, I see a lot more than what you wrote.
I didn't get my answers ; (not that I had any hi expectations about it); Someone made the right questions and someone was there to give some answers!
All I can say is that it’s a good start! : )

Thanks again and waiting for the first video from the track together with a more detailed comparison with the 3RS. Mikymu’s cup doesn’t stand a chance at least until he learns the sequential.. : )

Ps. Dear Porsche excuse me for all the times that I said something bad, I am big fan, a true supporter and I hate red Fiat’s. My car weighs 2700pounds so I am sure that Andreas and Walter like me. Please consider this before you judge me..
Lol, too funny...

I think your interpretation a fair one.

All I can do is air the issues we all care a great deal about and hope it results in something. A personal sharing of information with no (politically conflicted) middlemen to dilute the emotion and passion of the information being communicated.

Let's see what happens? What other manufacturer makes the father of their street legal race cars available to the guy off the street? It was one hell of a gesture.

Originally Posted by cfjan
I understand not using P50 on the street due to the lack of cold bite.. But from your conversation, it sounds like even at track, P40 is preferred, due to less abrasiveness to the rotors.. i.e., people who run P50 is to trade the life of the rotor with slightly more performance.. But I thought it was the other way around.. i.e., running P40 on the track would result in potential overheating / pads cracking (and might result in rotor damage), etc. That's what I meant that is it somewhat conflicting...
Sorry cj - I misunderstood. If it is a 100% track car, with no street use (safety) and money is no object (rotor wear) then P50 would be the choice.

Regarding the P40 pads getting cracked up (they don't crumble, just get some cracks). The P40 or P50 don't "cause" more or less heating, they simply have different coefficients of friction at different temperture operating ranges.

Oh another tidbit I found out: the brake ducting on the GT cars is good for a 50 degree temp reduction.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:19 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Stunningly beautiful!

Thanks for sharing this and enjoy!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Sounds like it is time to go back to P40 front pads... (or change to iron rotors all together after I used up my P50 pads..)

Thanks for the info!!

Sorry cj - I misunderstood. If it is a 100% track car, with no street use (safety) and money is no object (rotor wear) then P50 would be the choice.

Regarding the P40 pads getting cracked up (they don't crumble, just get some cracks). The P40 or P50 don't "cause" more or less heating, they simply have different coefficients of friction at different temperture operating ranges.

Oh another tidbit I found out: the brake ducting on the GT cars is good for a 50 degree temp reduction.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Pete, late to the thread but thank you for posting

Savyboy's reputation precedes itself.

Very, very, very cool.
My dream car, although finances and self preservation says have anough horsies under the hood.
The car certainly seems to be more then the sum of it's beautiful parts ;-)

So will you now only add a seat belt bar, or a complete roll bar?
I wonder if they feel the car is so strong and stiff in roll overs that it is not worth installing the roll bar?

Do we all need an 4.0 with just a seat belt bar and seat belts?

I think I go hang around PBIR next weekend ;-)
Old 02-07-2011, 04:45 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

I don't think there's such a thing as "too safe", though.. I'd gladly trade 50-60 lbs (or more) for a full Cup spec cage.. But interesting comment from the head of GT cars..
Old 02-07-2011, 05:35 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well Pete, truly incredible to have the opportunity for such a one-on-one. And wonderful of you to report here. Thanks.

Frankly, I think that you deserve a raise as CER
Old 02-07-2011, 05:47 PM
A430v
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the detailed write-up Pete! Interesting that the 4.0 won't be numbered... Having what you own now, would you even consider the 4.0? I have a dilemma I need to solve. GT2 RS or 4.0...

Quick Reply: GT2RS Delivery Pics