Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2RS Delivery Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:35 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice IMHO at 3120, the cross weight is off, but that's expected at this time.

Thanks for posting Pete.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Very nice IMHO at 3120, the cross weight is off, but that's expected at this time.

Thanks for posting Pete.
Until about 800 - 1500 miles, those numbers will change and the ride height will shift about from day to day. And the stiction in PASM can be pretty ugly at the best of times. Just releasing the rear sway will move 50 lbs around the car. On new cars, I've found it more effective to measure the perches rather than fixate on the scales. PASM is getting better, but it's still junk. : )

Surely the unsprung weight and handling performance of the GT2 RS would have benefiting from the de-PASMing the Boxster Spyder enjoys. I guess the luxury buyer of the GT2 RS is just not going to have a bar of it.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Nice ride.

I love the red.

Enjoy.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer
Caught this on the pillar of the Cup: http://www.formandfunction-thebattle.com/high

Very German avant-garde...
Darn, missed this the first time around. Wild stuff! "Sprocket" -like

Avant-garde indeed.

Originally Posted by 964C4
Congratulations, Pete !

You are one of our heros here !

Enjoy in good health !
964C4, missed your post, sorry! Lol, hardly a hero, just an enthusiast! Boys like cars right? Mikymu and all the other DIY'er and trackrats are my inspiration! Thanks for the kind comments.

Originally Posted by 996toomey
I did not know it was so light. How much does your GT3 RS weigh?

Thanks.
I forgot, let me go dig it up...

tick tock tick tock

Ah here it is: 3190 lbs with GMG RSR rear bar, harnesses, LiON battery and 1/2 tank gas. So apple to apples, the 2RS is approx 58lbs lighter than the 3RS. (bar +40 lbs, LiON battery -30 lbs)

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
3120lb is decent with the big ole turbo donk. Only what, $5K for the plastic fenders?
If you'd gotten with the program sooner, you'd have the lightweight headlights ...

It's a yoyo diet from here -- take some weight off ... then put in a cage ...
If I did a GT3RS/Spyder again it would FOR SURE be Mooty style- a stripper. No A/C, no NAV, no nothing. Some people (me) are just late to the party and slow on the uptake.

Originally Posted by rlips
Hi Pete,

Thanks for sharing, and all the excellent information you've posted. One question: Did you ask if Porsche plans to offer a non CL wheel option on GT cars for track junkies in the future?

All the best with the new car,

Ron
Ron, thanks for the comments. What a GREAT question that would have been! I hate the centerlocks. What a PITA! And I should have asked about the Cup shifter cable as well. Dang I missed those two. Sorry!

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Nice ride.

I love the red.

Enjoy.
Thanks my Crazy Canadian friend!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

If I did a GT3RS/Spyder again it would FOR SURE be Mooty style- a stripper. No A/C, no NAV, no nothing. Some people (me) are just late to the party and slow on the uptake.

====> u are picking it up PRONTO, mi amigo.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:59 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

This is the first customer car weight I have seen - great work and thanks for sharing

3120lbs is 1415kg

Half a tank, is this the 90l German tank or the 66l one like we get in RHD in the UK ?

If it is 66l then we can add back 30kg for a DIN measurement which takes it up to 1445kg

Not sure how this is possible but my lightly optioned GT2 with standard wheels and full tank (66l) came in at:

With my BBS Fi wheels it weighs 1448kg

Savvy, can you share your options and speculate which ones you have in addition to the 1370kg test cars ?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:14 AM
rlips
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron, thanks for the comments. What a GREAT question that would have been! I hate the centerlocks. What a PITA! And I should have asked about the Cup shifter cable as well. Dang I missed those two. Sorry!

No Worries,

You were able to bring us a lot of good new information. And, who know, perhaps Andreas and crew are following our little corner of the world more closely than we had thought and already have taken our thoughts on the CL wheels into consideration.

Cheers,

Ron
Old 02-09-2011, 12:03 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by TB993tt
This is the first customer car weight I have seen - great work and thanks for sharing

3120lbs is 1415kg

Half a tank, is this the 90l German tank or the 66l one like we get in RHD in the UK ?

If it is 66l then we can add back 30kg for a DIN measurement which takes it up to 1445kg

Not sure how this is possible but my lightly optioned GT2 with standard wheels and full tank (66l) came in at:

With my BBS Fi wheels it weighs 1448kg

Savvy, can you share your options and speculate which ones you have in addition to the 1370kg test cars ?
My 2RS book says 17 gals, so that would be the 66l tank. Owner manual at the shop, I will confirm later and correct my comments if necessary.

My black painted wheels add approx 4lbs and full leather is another ~6lbs, just to offer some fine tuning on weights.

Originally Posted by rlips
No Worries,

You were able to bring us a lot of good new information. And, who know, perhaps Andreas and crew are following our little corner of the world more closely than we had thought and already have taken our thoughts on the CL wheels into consideration.

Cheers,

Ron
Yes, we shall see how things play out? I feel it is all very positive and constructive, BUT the proof is in the actions.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Ah here it is: 3190 lbs with GMG RSR rear bar, harnesses, LiON battery and 1/2 tank gas. So apple to apples, the 2RS is approx 58lbs lighter than the 3RS. (bar +40 lbs, LiON battery -30 lbs)
Don't see how this could be with additional weight of turbo hardware and what appears a heavier rear wing. The only real weight differentiators are CF hood and fender (option). Rear tires on GT2 RS should also be marginally heavier.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't see how this could be with additional weight of turbo hardware and what appears a heavier rear wing. The only real weight differentiators are CF hood and fender (option). Rear tires on GT2 RS should also be marginally heavier.
Rear lid on Gt2's are not metal, some kind of light weight plastic fiberglass composite plus there is no extra mufflers back there.

If you have the Bose sound there is an amp under the passenger seat and the rear set of deck speakers are really boat anchor heavy!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh if your directly comparing it to the 3RS, the Gt2 has various suspension pieces that are lighter, aluminum vs. Steel, the intake manifold is plastic.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
Oh if your directly comparing it to the 3RS, the Gt2 has various suspension pieces that are lighter, aluminum vs. Steel, the intake manifold is plastic.
There's no steel in 3RS suspension links - all aluminum as in 2RS. There are some hardwired joints in 2RS, which arguably would add fractional weight over the rubber in 3RS. Intake manifold on 3RS is plastic. Engine lid on 3RS is made from "lightweight synthetic material".

Side mufflers are definitely something I didn't consider and do add a bunch of weight.

Stereo is irrelevant because I'm comparing apples-to-apples option spec.

Last edited by Nizer; 02-09-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

TB, you have a Euro GT2, with lighter rear bumper cover, lighter front/rear bumpers and lighter emission equipment.

Savy, that's pretty light, your GT2 RS would hit the scales at 3,065 lbs with no fuel. The 2010 GT3 RS (no options) weighs 3,116 lbs with no fuel, and even with the optional PCCB, it can't touch the 3,065 lbs number.

So, the lightest GT car is one carrying 2 Turbos and the intercoolers, a new GT3 RS could save plenty of weight using the GT2 RS approach. Nice!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:28 PM
savyboy
Drifting

I will weigh one of the N2 tires today, they feel very light. Lots of carbon and struts braces made of alu vs steel.

Will re-weigh my 3RS on same scales and post the results.

Considering the added hardware and massive power increase, to be lighter is a laudable achievement. As everyone knows I was convinced the 2RS was the end product of some bolted on parts and a marketing exercise (a la Cayman R). I am now convinced it is the opposite.

Oh yeah, AP was as disgusted with the moniker Cayman "R" as I/we are. Porsche screwed the pooch with that one...
Old 02-09-2011, 01:36 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Oh yeah, AP was as disgusted with the moniker Cayman "R" as I/we are. Porsche screwed the pooch with that one...
Just quoting this in case you feel the need to edit it later : )

About the weight: for this car to weigh about the same as the 996 mk1 GT3, if optioned right is an achievement.
And imagine if Porsche decided to remove weight from the many obsolete and heavy parts around the cars.

Quick Reply: GT2RS Delivery Pics