GT2RS Delivery Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 04:15 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wilson234
Nice akrapovic exhaust comes stock!
I think the 997 gt2 also came with an Akra system if I recall correctly. It probably has more to do with the fact that the Akra are generally a louder system but 'turbos' tend to quitten loud exhausts and they can get away with it with the turbo variants... I'd say that the Akra would have featured on the 3RS also except that it would probably be virtually impossible to get it quite enough to meet worldwide noise requirements...

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Is that a steel brace under the nose?
Is that clamp bolt bent?
After all that Ti, they still use those donkey kong steel band clamps ... keep saying "it's a light weight special ... it's a light weight special ..."
: )
CGT, they would have stung everybody another $10k for that piece to be titanium... and more importantly, you need somewhere to attach a magnetic key holder with your spare
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOWZERS!!!! Killer thread with tons of cool info! Thanks for your info and congrats on the experience!!! I will have to finish reading this thread later today when I have more time. Interesting to hear all the info they knew about you and that they follow the forums like they do. Smart on their part as there sure are enough enthusiasts here.

What an experience!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Many thanks for sharing your experience.

Originally Posted by savyboy
Intercooler air has two exit points.
Same as GT2 although different carbon ducting on new RS bumper ?
Ti exhaust.
Exact same as GT2 ? isn't the back pressure a problem, how do the EGTs fare with 1.6bar and 600cell cats or are they different ?

Dual-Squirter block (double the oil squirting jets for piston cooling).
Doesn't GT2 also have this ?

Main spring/helper spring.
Documented in bumph

Underbody panel ducting, and lots of it
Is this different ducting to regular GT2 ? If yes did he discuss how this works with RS aerodynamics in giving the downforce numbers ? Did he reflect on the 0.35 Cd increase over the 0.32 of the GT2 ?
. Ummm beefy carriers! So tasty! Front and rear LCA's look like Motorsport pieces..
We knew this stuff I think ?

Cumon spill the real juice
Old 02-08-2011, 10:58 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is a kw suspension, kw historically runs a much larger front rear spring rate differential (ie 300f, 900r) than Porsche has ever used. If you search the kw site you can see they have done this for a long time on almost all 911s. This alone would be worth taking a much closer look at on the new 2RSs. Porsche has been steadily increasing the spring rates on the gt3 so can the owners take a look at the new 2RSs and see if the springs have details on them?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a great win for Akro.
Is that a steel brace under the nose?
Is that clamp bolt bent?
After all that Ti, they still use those donkey kong steel band clamps ... keep saying "it's a light weight special ... it's a light weight special ..."
: )

... but come on ... where's the close-up photos of the coolant and power steering fittings ... : )
Yes, steel brace. Yes, looks bent to me too. No kidding, x-ray photos of the fitting to check for proper epoxy application

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
WOWZERS!!!! Killer thread with tons of cool info! Thanks for your info and congrats on the experience!!! I will have to finish reading this thread later today when I have more time. Interesting to hear all the info they knew about you and that they follow the forums like they do. Smart on their part as there sure are enough enthusiasts here.

What an experience!
Lol, thought you might enjoy Mike!

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Many thanks for sharing your experience.

You are welcome of course.
Same as GT2 although different carbon ducting on new RS bumper ?
Any GT2 owners can chime in? I don't know?
Exact same as GT2 ? I think so. isn't the back pressure a problem, how do the EGTs fare with 1.6bar and 600cell cats or are they different ?

Andreas said the high cell cats definitely rob power. But emissions laws force the restrictive cats. No surprise for many of us Powerband looks essentially identical to GT2 except for massive gains in the upper rpm ranges. Upper 2000-2500 as I recall.

GT2 owner?
Documented in bumph

Yep.

Is this different ducting to regular GT2 ? If yes did he discuss how this works with RS aerodynamics in giving the downforce numbers ? Did he reflect on the 0.35 Cd increase over the 0.32 of the GT2 ?

Haha, you are asking all the right questions, but again I don't know answer on the ducting. GT2 owners? He went into some detail in a presentation how they worked on downforce and balanced F/R dwonforce and that very minor change can drastically raise Cd.

As I recall at 120 mph it has 120 lbs of down force increasing to 400 lbs of down force at top speed.

We knew this stuff I think ?

I am surely forgetting things. Ask and if I know I will answer
Originally Posted by 997gt3north
If it is a kw suspension, kw historically runs a much larger front rear spring rate differential (ie 300f, 900r) than Porsche has ever used. If you search the kw site you can see they have done this for a long time on almost all 911s. This alone would be worth taking a much closer look at on the new 2RSs. Porsche has been steadily increasing the spring rates on the gt3 so can the owners take a look at the new 2RSs and see if the springs have details on them?
I have this on my todo list along with getting it on my scales. Try to do that today.

Last edited by savyboy; 02-08-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: fixed bar
Old 02-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dual-Squirter block (double the oil squirting jets for piston cooling).
I think the 997.1 GT3 has the extra squirter too and the 996.2 GT3 has a single squirter or nothing on the piston, just something into the bore or the pin? I'm sure Sharky can elucidate from his 3.9 builds. Alexei?

All in good time. I'm sure this GT2 RS is already hanging off a hoist somewhere in the high desert with her skirts off, wheels stacked to one side and probing hands having their way into her nether regions.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:24 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Great stuff

It is supposed to be 1.6bar boost not 1.4bar ?

Very interesting re the cats and emissions, that must really upset the engineers as those stock cats are a menace for this cars engine. My pal who has a GT2RS in the UK took a set of Cargraphic 200 cell cats which I had, they make a big difference, and sound awesome as well as keeping the temps down and CEL off.

I will take a look at that ducting, personally I am not after more downforce for my Road GT2 but I know of a few owners who want the RS's aero !

Did he say anything specific about engine differences ? We know it has a plastic intake but that is the same dimension as GT2 so that is a weight saver ? He mentioned before about pistons and rods, did he elaborate ? are they different parts or just blueprinted in terms of weights ? Are the turbos the same as GT2 ?

I posted quite a while ago that Porsche engineers (so presumably Preuninger et al) were testing heavilythe 3.8dfi motor for RS fitment but could get the reliability they wanted so the Mezger lump becomes the "Motorsport" engine !!! love it

Did he explain any differences in the gearbox, SA say the ratios and final drive are the same ? maybe it has the short shifter ?

The suspension is still PASM (which is Bilsteins') isn't it so are those new shocks Bilstein with KW springing

Did he expalin anything further about the tyres ?

Many thanks
Old 02-08-2011, 01:02 PM
savyboy
Drifting

All in good time. I'm sure this GT2 RS is already hanging off a hoist somewhere in the high desert with her skirts off, wheels stacked to one side and probing hands having their way into her nether regions.
Why does reading this make me feel dirty?

Anyhow, on the hoist, yes, that was yesterday, right after getting home...lol

Oh- the problem with the CEL was that the "Transmission Cooler Temperature Control Solenoid" vacuum hose elbow came loose. The engine was running too cool, the ECU found the Oil/Coolant temps readings to be "implausible", and tossed me a CEL. My tech reconnected the vacuum line and voila' it all works properly. He said the hose was in a physical (as opposed to temporal) location that allow it to be easily knocked loose at various points of the manufacturing process.

Great stuff

It is supposed to be 1.6bar boost not 1.4bar ?

My bad, sorry, 1.6 bar is correct.
Very interesting re the cats and emissions, that must really upset the engineers as those stock cats are a menace for this cars engine. My pal who has a GT2RS in the UK took a set of Cargraphic 200 cell cats which I had, they make a big difference, and sound awesome as well as keeping the temps down and CEL off.

Agreed- Uncorking a turbo engine is always a happy thing as opposed to a N/A engine where it may hurt low-end tq.

Did he say anything specific about engine differences ? We know it has a plastic intake but that is the same dimension as GT2 so that is a weight saver ? He mentioned before about pistons and rods, did he elaborate ? are they different parts or just blueprinted in terms of weights ? Are the turbos the same as GT2 ?

Intake is an "expansion intake", info on the GT2RS microsite. During testing the increased power was bending connecting rods (losing parellelism). So rods were upgraded. Turbos same, intercoolers are much more efficient.

Did he explain any differences in the gearbox, SA say the ratios and final drive are the same ? maybe it has the short shifter ?

No short shifter unless you consider a .2 GT3RS a short shifter. Shifters are the same. It is a good shifter and feels great. Given I got 24mpg avg driving home so I don't think the gearbox is the RS short ratio one. In my 3RS I get approx 18-19mpg hwy mileage.
The suspension is still PASM (which is Bilsteins') isn't it so are those new shocks Bilstein with KW springing

It is PASM. Let me look at the shocks (dampers to my ROW friends) and I will follow-up.
Did he expalin anything further about the tyres ?

Fronts are standard N1 tires same as GT3RS. The rear N2 is totally different construction than the N1 used on GT3RS. Different tread, different carcass, different sidewalls, and even though it is same size it is physically wider and offers a slightly larger contact patch. He said it was roughly equivalent to a 330. Tolerance allows the size difference while still being officially a 325. Could be used on a 3RS but because of better traction, would move handling towards more understeer.
Many thanks
Welcome!

Last edited by savyboy; 02-08-2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: fix spelling
Old 02-08-2011, 01:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Fronts are standard N1 tires same as GT3RS. The rear N2 is totally different construction than the N1 used on GT3RS. Different tread, different carcass, different sidewalls, and even though it is same size it is physically wider and offers a slightly larger contact patch. He said it was roughly equivalent to a 330. Tolerance allows the size difference while still being officially a 325. Could be used on a 3RS but because of better traction, would move handling towards more understeer.
It's interesting that PAG mixed N1/N2 ratings between front and rear. I know that it is a special car and I hope they tested the mix, but they used to say that such mixing was a no-no.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
It's interesting that PAG mixed N1/N2 ratings between front and rear. I know that it is a special car and I hope they tested the mix, but they used to say that such mixing was a no-no.
Speaking with the Michelin test driver @ the launch of the MPSS in Dubai, he stated that when homologating an N-spec tyre with Porsche they test them on each target car with a Michelin driver and tyre engineer, a Porsche driver and a Porsche suspension engineer while under development.

In this case I suspect that they simply revised the rear tyre to cope with the 2RS power etc.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep hearing this Bending Rods on the GT2.1 at 600HP+

Thanks for sharing, it's all very interesting
Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 PM
savyboy
Drifting

3120 with half tank gas and standard lead acid battery. LiON battery gets it under 3100 lbs.

Air cond/NAV/XM/Radio/Bluetooth
Attached Images   
Old 02-08-2011, 06:41 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I did not know it was so light. How much does your GT3 RS weigh?

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

3120lb is decent with the big ole turbo donk. Only what, $5K for the plastic fenders?
If you'd gotten with the program sooner, you'd have the lightweight headlights ...

It's a yoyo diet from here -- take some weight off ... then put in a cage ...
Old 02-08-2011, 08:33 PM
rlips
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pete,

Thanks for sharing, and all the excellent information you've posted. One question: Did you ask if Porsche plans to offer a non CL wheel option on GT cars for track junkies in the future?

All the best with the new car,

Ron

Quick Reply: GT2RS Delivery Pics