OMP seat mount brackets questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:20 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question OMP seat mount brackets questions

OK, Now it's time to get a proper racing seat in my RS. I am looking at getting an OMP Prototipo (pronounced potato tee do). has anyone gone this route and what kind of seat brackets/slider do I need for both bolt down and slider options? What do you suggest for submount bar for seat belt?

Cheers

Mike

Old 01-06-2011, 07:49 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

sliders:

oem from ex. 6 euro recaros that have sub belt bar

or omp / recaro / sparco sliders and put the sub belts bolted on body

IMO forget the sub belt bar and drill the floor also forget aftermarket sliders they are POS all of them compared to oem.

side brackets

brey side brackets that offer inner tunnel lap belt support

omp side brackets then again inner lap belt should be bolted on the tunnel

IMO get the omp aluminum ones that are lighter and drill the tunnel side for lap belt

for the tall guys just throw away the sliders you won't fit properly with them ever. : )

Now ask me how I know..
Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i have these seats in my RS.

i made custom brackets to use existing seat hardware and mount locations.
they are stationary however.

i too would be interested in brackets that would give me sliders.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
sliders:

oem from ex. 6 euro recaros that have sub belt bar

or omp / recaro / sparco sliders and put the sub belts bolted on body

IMO forget the sub belt bar and drill the floor also forget aftermarket sliders they are POS all of them compared to oem.

side brackets

brey side brackets that offer inner tunnel lap belt support

omp side brackets then again inner lap belt should be bolted on the tunnel

IMO get the omp aluminum ones that are lighter and drill the tunnel side for lap belt

for the tall guys just throw away the sliders you won't fit properly with them ever. : )

Now ask me how I know..
I know you are a tall guy John ... so am I. Tall torso so I require my seat to be low. Oem slider? From 6 Cup?

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i have these seats in my RS.

i made custom brackets to use existing seat hardware and mount locations.
they are stationary however.

i too would be interested in brackets that would give me sliders.
I am suppose to get some answer from OMP tomorrow ... stay tune
Old 01-07-2011, 01:31 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, here is one solution from Brey-Krause

For slider operation, you need to have the right type of slider as mentioned by 911slow. The right type of slider is basically 996 slider that can accept bolt on type seat brackets from Brey-Krause shown below:

You can use their R-9030 sub - strap mount for harness attachment with the slider setup

This is the right type of slider that can accept bolt on Brey-Krause seat brackets

This is the wrong type of slider setup which is found with 997 US factory seats

This is the slider setup on my GT2 seats which should work with Brey-Krause seat brackets

Now if you want the lowest possible seat position and be FIA approved then you need to bolt your seat brackets directly to the floor. The solution will be Brey-Krause's new R-9044 assembly with integrated sub strap bar

Old 01-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Heeltoego
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike,

Just to clarify, the correct sliders are the 996 manual ones. Some 997 sliders are compatible, and the pictures I sent you with the red circles were outlining how to tell which ones are.

-Russ
Old 01-07-2011, 02:13 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Heeltoego
Hey Mike,

Just to clarify, the correct sliders are the 996 manual ones. Some 997 sliders are compatible, and the pictures I sent you with the red circles were outlining how to tell which ones are.

-Russ
Yes, that's correct. You basically need the full manaul slider with bolt on seat brackets. Double check your setup for correct fit

Trending Topics

Old 01-07-2011, 08:52 PM
outline
Racer

just to add, if you are planning on having your seat down low on those BK side brackets get the porsche sub strap and not the BK one. you wont have clearance enough to fit the seat.
with the BK side mount plates for the 996 recaro seats and with a BK sub bar you just cannot get the seat to fix in the lower holes at the front (which i need). the base of the seat hits of the sub bar and prevents it fitting.
with the porsche sub bar it works just fine.

i tried and tried and tried but couldnt make it fit. best i could manage was three of the four bolts in (and the seat lopsided at the front). the picture above showing the underseat (and sub bar) shows a porsche sub strap bar.
tbh if you have this already then just reuse it.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:23 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neilwight
just to add, if you are planning on having your seat down low on those BK side brackets get the porsche sub strap and not the BK one. you wont have clearance enough to fit the seat.
with the BK side mount plates for the 996 recaro seats and with a BK sub bar you just cannot get the seat to fix in the lower holes at the front (which i need). the base of the seat hits of the sub bar and prevents it fitting.

i tried and tried and tried but couldnt make it fit. best i could manage was three of the four bolts in (and the seat lopsided at the front). the picture above showing the underseat (and sub bar) shows a porsche sub strap bar.
Good point. I will reuse the Porsche submount bar. Thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Actually Neil you got it right for the 6GT3 recaros and BK side mounts having issues but it is not the oem anti sub bar or the brey anti sub that creates them. It is the handle of the slider. I thought it was the sub bar too but after some diving under there I found out the problem.
Recently I emailed Russ to let him know that there is an issue there and that there is no way to use the front lower hole of the side bracket as the handle hits the underside of the oem gt3 recaro. So you have the seat a bit reclined.

Look at the pics

Originally Posted by mikymu
Good point. I will reuse the Porsche submount bar. Thanks
Mike don't worry about the sub bar you won't have an issue at all as you will use other type of brey side brackets for the OMP's and different seats.
Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 PM
outline
Racer

I managed to get both seats to fit in the lower holes with a bit of wiggling. The slider arm does indeed press against the bottom of the seat (and marks them) but doesn't prevent operation.
The BK sub bar DOES stop the seat from going in the lower holes though. It's chunky and doesn't give clearance. With the Porsche bar there's a papers width gap but it's enough.

With those omp mounts I found same story but ymmv depending on seat. The recaros is a definite. You can make the lower front holes with the oem bar just fine. You cannot with BK.
I'll take pics of mine when I'm next at the car.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:29 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Mike don't worry about the sub bar you won't have an issue at all as you will use other type of brey side brackets for the OMP's and different seats.
Got it ... Thanks John
Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 PM
outline
Racer

mikymu,
if you already have the porsche sub strap bar then you really should just use this. i had issues with the BK one using the OMP from my 997cup and the BK sidemounts with low clearance, and the exact same issue presents itself with the GT3 recaro and BK sidemounts.
im 6'4" and need the seat low. in both instances the BK sub bar (and not the slider arm) caused clearance issues and stopped the seat going as low as i needed it to.

john is correct that with the 996 recaro the slider arm fouls the bottom of the seat with it in the lowest mounting but you can still fit the seat in there just fine with a little bit of thinking but only if you have no sub strap bar or the porsche one. with the BK bar you bang right off the metal bar and cant do anything more.

this isnt second hand knowledge. i have this combo in my car just now. i have two 996 recaros with BK sidemounts and seats fitted in the lowest hole but had to use the porsche sub bar and not the BK one i had bought.
i use my old 997cup seat with BK sidemounts for track days and trying to use the BK sub bar with this (so i had a nice easy swap out) also prevented me getting clearance to fit the seat as low as i need it. with the porsche one i can get it right down again (though i now just use direct floor mounting)
depending on your model of seat YMMV on this one but im just putting this out there.
its a gamble with the BK one if you need the seat to be low. using the porsche one gives you more clearance and doesnt give you anything less in terms of sub strap performance.
the BK one is also much heavier too!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:43 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

mikymu,
if you already have the porsche sub strap bar then you really should just use this. i had issues with the BK one using the OMP from my 997cup and the BK sidemounts with low clearance, and the exact same issue presents itself with the GT3 recaro and BK sidemounts.
im 6'4" and need the seat low. in both instances the BK sub bar (and not the slider arm) caused clearance issues and stopped the seat going as low as i needed it to.

john is correct that with the 996 recaro the slider arm fouls the bottom of the seat with it in the lowest mounting but you can still fit the seat in there just fine with a little bit of thinking but only if you have no sub strap bar or the porsche one. with the BK bar you bang right off the metal bar and cant do anything more.

this isnt second hand knowledge. i have this combo in my car just now. i have two 996 recaros with BK sidemounts and seats fitted in the lowest hole but had to use the porsche sub bar and not the BK one i had bought.
i use my old 997cup seat with BK sidemounts for track days and trying to use the BK sub bar with this (so i had a nice easy swap out) also prevented me getting clearance to fit the seat as low as i need it. with the porsche one i can get it right down again (though i now just use direct floor mounting)
depending on your model of seat YMMV on this one but im just putting this out there.
its a gamble with the BK one if you need the seat to be low. using the porsche one gives you more clearance and doesnt give you anything less in terms of sub strap performance.
the BK one is also much heavier too!!!
Thanks for the detail info and will follow your recommendation
Old 05-14-2012, 12:02 PM
speedyralph
Rennlist Member

Does the Brey Krause R-9044 work with my 997.2 carbon seats to achieve a lower height?

Quick Reply: OMP seat mount brackets questions