Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
oh come on, that's not grey.
it's barney purple. i know i have two sets
I asked him fo rteh same color again...he asid he cannot match it......has a new shade of purple
Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

My black anodized are turning slightly purple near the hub. I am thinking of getting some hi-temp gloss black engine paint and spraying them. Do you think it will work?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izzone

With all the rubber and crap on my wheels, i'll bet a few track days and those woudl look like crap
I have the mirror finish of thos CCWs, although they look aa little blingy, the brake dust and rubber pieces don't seem to stick or they come off pretty easily even by hand
Old 01-07-2011, 10:54 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
I have the mirror finish of thos CCWs, although they look aa little blingy, the brake dust and rubber pieces don't seem to stick or they come off pretty easily even by hand
i was thinking to get a new set in mirror, can you possibly post a hi-res picture of you car on them? i have same concerns about bling factor.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:58 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

I just received my tires from JeremyJ - they have 3/32th of tread on them left. isn`t it too much shaving?

how much tread is usually supposed to be left on them after shaving?

see attached image - are they overshaved or is it considered normal shaving for RA1 tires? Kumhos I have are shaved to 4/32th and I considered it to be quite low, but those are even lower.

Have anybody else here received those tires you ordered? how deep are they shaved? it is pretty frustrating, i hoped to run those ra1 for AX in wet but without grooves on sides they are useless and jeremy`s shop phone goes to voicemail all th time. what a bummer...
Attached Images  

Last edited by utkinpol; 01-11-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:07 PM
e46 zcp
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each shaver does it differently and most ask you, but I have used the RA1's full depth, shaved to 4, 3 and 2 32nds before. For wet use I personally prefer the R888, or RA1 shaved no more than 4/32nds.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e46 zcp
Each shaver does it differently and most ask you, but I have used the RA1's full depth, shaved to 4, 3 and 2 32nds before. For wet use I personally prefer the R888, or RA1 shaved no more than 4/32nds.
Jeremy advertised those tires as shaved to 6/32th. they are 3/32th.
bummer. i already have a set of v710 for dry. grrrr
Old 01-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I just received my tires from JeremyJ - they have 3/32th of tread on them left. isn`t it too much shaving?

see attached image - are they overshaved or is it considered normal shaving for RA1 tires? Kumhos I have are shaved to 4/32th and I considered it to be quite low, but those are even lower.

Have anybody else here received those tires you ordered? how deep are they shaved? it is pretty frustrating, i hoped to run those ra1 for AX in wet but without grooves on sides they are useless and jeremy`s shop phone goes to voicemail all th time. what a bummer...
He had said they were shaved to 6/32

will see when mine arrive (they ar estuck in Atlanta).....I will use them dry only

Did you get RA1 or R888 from him?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:37 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

He had said they were shaved to 6/32

will see when mine arrive (they ar estuck in Atlanta).....I will use them dry only

Did you get RA1 or R888 from him?
ra1 of course.
problem is - i already have unshaved rear set of them, so i only needed fronts and 6/32 would work fine but 3/32 will not.

well, i hope i will get hold of him. hate buying shaved tires, i had to argue over 2 sets last season with tirerack as they were overshaved, now same sh$t all over again. it is last time I`ve done this...
Old 01-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

ra1 of course.
problem is - i already have unshaved rear set of them, so i only needed fronts and 6/32 would work fine but 3/32 will not.

well, i hope i will get hold of him. hate buying shaved tires, i had to argue over 2 sets last season with tirerack as they were overshaved, now same sh$t all over again. it is last time I`ve done this...
I called today to find mine......they are stuck in Atlanta, have been there since Friday. Asked when they will deliver and they could not even tell me when they will leave Atlanta

Plan B...called john at CCW.....he has a few sets of Hoosier.....I will have to buy those as plan B. John said once I drive on Hoosier I will not want to use the shaved RA1
Old 01-11-2011, 06:50 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

I called today to find mine......they are stuck in Atlanta, have been there since Friday. Asked when they will deliver and they could not even tell me when they will leave Atlanta

Plan B...called john at CCW.....he has a few sets of Hoosier.....I will have to buy those as plan B. John said once I drive on Hoosier I will not want to use the shaved RA1
R6 is an awesome tire but you will need to buy them quite often. unless you race against other folks i would say V710 kumho offers better value for your money.

one set of v710 lasts i would say as 3 sets of R6, 2 sets of A6 last as 1 set of R6.

if you want ultimate performance - try sometime hoosier A6 in front with R6 in rear. it is quite an awesome combo but you will kill those fronts in 2-3 DE sessions most likely.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Are the side treads the same depth as the center tread?

There is pictures of some shaved tp 4/32 on ebay. They look like the have less tread than your picture
Old 01-11-2011, 09:19 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those look like mine but I shave to 4/32
Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I got mine today. Shaved 2/32 so they look like Hoosiers.
$650.00 is not bad. Race ready, but I doubt the rears will last more ten a weekend, the fronts probably OK for 2 weekends.

I usually shave to 5/32 and you'll still see all grooves and they are fast right away.
The rears last about 4 days the fronts 6 easy.

I also bought a few sets unshaved and expect the first 2 sessions to be slippery, but they might last more then 3 weekends?

I will report, but all the cheap ones are gone so not much use.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I got mine today. Shaved 2/32 so they look like Hoosiers.
$650.00 is not bad. Race ready, but I doubt the rears will last more ten a weekend, the fronts probably OK for 2 weekends.

I usually shave to 5/32 and you'll still see all grooves and they are fast right away.
The rears last about 4 days the fronts 6 easy.

I also bought a few sets unshaved and expect the first 2 sessions to be slippery, but they might last more then 3 weekends?

I will report, but all the cheap ones are gone so not much use.
I hope mine make it out of Atlanta in time

Quick Reply: Toyo R888 Question