Should have done this

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 03:50 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Should have done this

... long time ago! Tow my RS to Laguna Seca for the first time and LOVE IT!!! It is so much more comfortable and I can haul all kinds of crap. You are right mooty and thanks for the harassment

My Toyota Tundra did 12.8 mpg with 4500 lbs behind - not bad.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:58 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It's all good, but it's as if each incremental step opens up a new world. The evolution scenario is pre-written and we all evolve through it at our own pace... so I'm told. You know, the "slope" thing.

Be careful though, cause you know what Mooty advocates: Bigger, bigger, bigger. But maybe it's unavoidable. I am where you are at the moment, but also can't help but wonder what an enclosed would be like

So does this mean that the RS is no longer for sale? Seriously.

Wouldn't you need an enclosed if you were to start playing with a cup...? I just got the GT3 and even considered a 996 cup during the shopping. A cup would have been cheaper but it's the trailer situation that gave me the cold shower.

Nice rig BTW
Old 01-01-2011, 03:58 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats, Mikymu!!! The new set-up looks great!

Are those your tire tracks in the second shot? LOL
Maybe your brakes locked on the trailer? Maybe you were doing power starts in the Tundra? LOL
Old 01-01-2011, 04:02 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

a cool picture today and even cooler 20 years from now!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
... long time ago! Tow my RS to Laguna Seca for the first time and LOVE IT!!! It is so much more comfortable and I can haul all kinds of crap. You are right mooty and thanks for the harassment

1. mooty is ALWAYS right
2. do not burn rubber while towing, look all those braking marks you made in the pic
3. i get 10mpg towing my 10k lbs box at 70mph, before pulled over by cops. he told me it's 55mph. oops.
4. pls refrain to only towing your OWN car. where is the cup?
Old 01-01-2011, 05:36 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by FFaust
It's all good, but it's as if each incremental step opens up a new world. The evolution scenario is pre-written and we all evolve through it at our own pace... so I'm told. You know, the "slope" thing.

Be careful though, cause you know what Mooty advocates: Bigger, bigger, bigger. But maybe it's unavoidable. I am where you are at the moment, but also can't help but wonder what an enclosed would be like

So does this mean that the RS is no longer for sale? Seriously.

Wouldn't you need an enclosed if you were to start playing with a cup...? I just got the GT3 and even considered a 996 cup during the shopping. A cup would have been cheaper but it's the trailer situation that gave me the cold shower.

Nice rig BTW
my gmc could be up for sale. those interested let me know
has 52gal tank SLT, load to the hilt (is that how you say it?)
i want a dually. bigger is better hahahaha
Old 01-01-2011, 06:33 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
3. i get 10mpg towing my 10k lbs box at 70mph, before pulled over by cops. he told me it's 55mph. oops.
And then realize how out of control ~18K can be going down the road at even 55ish. I often find towing to the track more exhausting than the actual track event.

my gmc could be up for sale. those interested let me know
has 52gal tank SLT, load to the hilt (is that how you say it?)
i want a dually. bigger is better hahahaha
What does a dually get you, in and of itself? Unless you're going gooseneck with max weight on the ball. Proper hitch/weight distribution is everything with tag trailers.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:35 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the club!
Congratulations

Old 01-01-2011, 07:21 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by race911
And then realize how out of control ~18K can be going down the road at even 55ish. I often find towing to the track more exhausting than the actual track event.

What does a dually get you, in and of itself? Unless you're going gooseneck with max weight on the ball. Proper hitch/weight distribution is everything with tag trailers.
i have cam antisway wt dist bar. i have more than enough with this truck. i just want bigger wider truck for no practical reason
Old 01-01-2011, 07:21 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, it was nice seeing you yesterday. To bad you left early I didn't even get a chance to say bye. I found my rear drop links to be lose when I got home and checked. No wonder the car wanted to go straight into a wall lol. I'm going to get the motor mounts and hopefully see you at the next track day.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:27 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i have cam antisway wt dist bar. i have more than enough with this truck. i just want bigger wider truck for no practical reason
I completely understand as I've had dually's since they started making them. Bitch to store and park, but unsurpassed stability when towing....
Old 01-01-2011, 07:27 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hardcore!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:31 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ballin!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu

12-13 mpg is good. I think the new EgoBoost F150 claims higher numbers. The new Ford diesel does well according to forum posts. I'm debating a new hauler. Hard to see the sense in $65K for an F250 if the justification is 30% better fuel efficiency.

Where you're at -- with an open aluminum trailer and a (relatively) cheap pickup -- is the sweet spot. Just stay there. Even if you can't resist the madness and get a Cup or (as I advise, a GTL) it's a great setup. The next is actually backwards (big, heavy rig, heavy enclosed trailer, heavy hauler tow vehicle, more expensive, more "stuff" ... not a lot more value.)

The real value is having the track car on the trailer and a box on the trailer that you know has everything you need, so a track day is as quick as hitching up and going ... no logistics hassle of searching around the house and garage trying to find things and be sure you picked up 1000lbs of stuff and junk you need at the track every time (right down to the bloody Windex that your forgot again ! or no paper towels or the charger for the bloody data acq. or the SD card or ...)

Just do a couple of your famous mod projects and you'll be set:
* winch (never know if the car will get back on the trailer by its own power and the clutch deserves better)
* aero nose cone (also serves as a stone guard for the car
* full height lock box (wheels, tools, jack,stand, pads, fluids, parts, race suit, cooler for ice for the coolshirt)
* locked fuel jug boxes (saving $3/gal adds up, not having to futz around at the pumps or have too much or too little fuel in the car for a session ... luxury)
* e-track tie-down and wheel chocks (quick, easy, secure tie-down method)

And getting a day at Laguna while the rest of us are shoveling shi ... snow ... is a one of those "reasons I put up with living in California" things ... : )
Old 01-01-2011, 08:20 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I completely understand as I've had dually's since they started making them. Bitch to store and park, but unsurpassed stability when towing....
My 3/4 ton GMC with weight distributing hitch doesn't blink at my GT3 on an open trailer so I'll stick with my truck. Parking at a crowded Safeway parking lot was nasty yesterday. A dually would be much worse.....or maybe not. Just back up on top of cars in my way I suppose.

Quick Reply: Should have done this