Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rennline solid engine mount review

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
My factory and WEVO engine mounts are on it's way to Rennline so they can take measurement to solve some of the fitting issues. I have a feeling there will be another more improved solid Rennline engine mount post soon
I've been through their shop - impressive facility. They do a lot of specialized fabrication work for aerospace industry. Great guys too. I trust they'll get the thing sorted quickly.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
Mike, do you have concern with the solid mounts in the area of vibration shaking things loose or affecting the electronics? (see my post above)
Cfjan...my 2007 7GT3 has the solid cup car engine mount illustrated in this thread plus the suspension is completely solid. No issues with the electronics at all and so far not a lot of other things being vibrated loose.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:12 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay, thanks for the feedback.. !!

Might have to order a set once Rennline release the 996/997 specific model (that's being worked on now).. !
Old 11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I do it all the time in very tight corners. I ran at Buttonwillow last weekend which has 2 tight turns, one with a declining radius. In order to carry more speed into a tight corner I turn-in while still in 3rd and allow the car to coast a second in the taller gear. I then downshift after corner entry and start getting back on the throttle for track-out. I wouldn't let out a clutch with a high rev load mid corner, but as described above you're in a low RPM stage and feel little effect if any from the downshift. The net result is a much faster corner entry than downshifting to 2nd....
Exact same technique that can be used at Mosport's 5A / 5B turn complex - you have to enter in 3rd but exit in 2nd and at some point you have to release the clutch while still partially turning if you want to be fast - this is where the stock drivetrain slop gets you every time - you can make the stock drivetrain work but you have to go slower - faster requires the tranny and engine to stay lined up - wevo semi solid fixes 90% of the problem - with Mich slicks loads doing the above technique you would likely need solid mounts above 9/10ths slick driving.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:01 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Update:

Spoke with folks at Rennline and they made the necessary modification on the solid engine mount to fit our GT3/RS. I should have the first set in about a week or two. Stay tune
Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update:

Spoke with folks at Rennline and they made the necessary modification on the solid engine mount to fit our GT3/RS. I should have the first set in about a week or two. Stay tune
Oh you lucky devil.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:01 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Oh you lucky devil.
hehe .. I already tried out their solid engine mount on the track. It was fantastic! More report later
Old 12-04-2010, 02:00 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Update:

Mike do weigh them pls I wanna see how they compare to the 993RS semi solid ones.

Last edited by 911SLOW; 12-04-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: double
Old 12-04-2010, 09:52 AM
GT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911SLOW, I also have the 993RS semisolid ones on a 997tt that has the full cup/rs susp components. Do you have experienced vibration and/or stiffness issues with those that you are hoping to solve with the solid ones?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:26 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by GT
911SLOW, I also have the 993RS semisolid ones on a 997tt that has the full cup/rs susp components. Do you have experienced vibration and/or stiffness issues with those that you are hoping to solve with the solid ones?
I did the 993RS on a 6GT3 and I am very happy with them, they eliminated by 90% the sloppy feeling of the rear due to lower deflection characteristics.
The car feels as one with them and I can’t really feel anymore the rear mass moving independently and with a delay compared with the rest of the car.
No apparent added vibration from the semi solids. And they are lighter than oem about 2lbs.
I do consider them a maintenance item and will change them when rubber on them starts to let go. Like the transmission mounts I recently changed.

I was very surprised that Mike reported no vibration with them, it goes against logic since there is metal to metal contact and zero isolation but I take his word for it and besides vibration feeling is quite subjective.

Just want to see how much lighter these are. Maybe I give them a try down the road.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:49 PM
GT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I guess I ll check the rubber in mine. I just wondering if the mounts are responsible for the hashness in the back when I hit a pothole.. Or it could be any (or all) of the dog bones, toe links, sway bar, droplinks, cup lower control arms, dymags..! Am curious what P installed on the GT2RS from the above list since ride is apparently pretty decent for the handling characteristics.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:43 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Update:

did you get the updated ones back yet?

inquiring minds want to know

I have a set of new wevo ss mounts in a box awaiting completion of this thread before I get them installed... thinking I might just go straight to solid mounts...
Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

checking in ;-)
Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Rennline is shipping them now for sure.. I just got an e-mail stating that the motor mounts have been shipped out (ordered before Christmas)..
Old 01-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

These are on the shelves and shipping now

Quick Reply: Rennline solid engine mount review