Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rennline solid engine mount review

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:43 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
In order to combat 2nd to 3rd gear shift sloppiness I installed WEVO semi-solid engine mounts in my RS to help minimize side to side swaying of engine+tranny mass (which accounts to 25% of the sprung weight of the car) and beefier Cup car shift cable. Despite of all these efforts I still encounter occasional difficulties getting into 3rd gear under high G load on the track.
I did the same, for all the same reasons and...... got the exact same results!

I also found the 2010 GT3 RS with the dynamic engine mount system, are still experiencing the very same issues.

Will be curious to learn your end results with the Rennline product mikymu, under track loads!

Again.... excellent write-up and photo analysis!!

Old 11-17-2010, 04:13 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Thank you

Concerning the Rennline mount being 1/4" taller: This might have to do with solid v. elastomer. The solid mount will NOT allow the engine to droop, whereas the elastomer mount might allow some slight drooping once loaded with the weight of the engine. If you had measured actual engine position before and after, you might have found the postition of the engine to be the same. The soft mount might allow the engine to droop down to the same lowered position as with the solid mount.

Not sure if this is what you meant above but, the square base v. staight bolt would allow for manufacturing tolerances. I am sure that even Porsche can not produce engine bays with tolerances within thousanths (then again, who knows?). So, because the solid mounts do not allow for any side to side movement, using a round bolt allows for the engine and mounts to be positioned properly and to "fit".
I too thought the elastomer will drop down with the weight of the drivetrain but it did not. I measure the height of the drivetrain with WEVO engine mount vs Rennline and they are about 1/4" difference where Rennline is lower. I did not measure OEM engine mount drivetrain height so I don't know if factory piece stretch ...

The square end on both factory and WEVO engine mounts still have alot of play inside the square opening of the engine mount bracket. I think as long as you tighten the Rennline bolts the engine will not sway ... I hope lol

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I did the same, for all the same reasons and...... got the exact same results!

I also found the 2010 GT3 RS with the dynamic engine mount system, are still experiencing the very same issues.

Will be curious to learn your end results with the Rennline product mikymu, under track loads!

Again.... excellent write-up and photo analysis!!

Sure thing. Track feedback in couple weeks.

My problem going form 2nd to 3rd gear is mostly operator error. I grip the shift **** from up top too hard which prevent shift linkage from getting into proper alignment for the 2nd to 3rd gear change. I change my shift style only for 2nd to 3rd gear under high G load by "guiding" up the shift linkage with my right thumb and middle finger at the "neck" of the shift **** hence minimize any forced miss alignment. So far zero problem and we will see if anything changes at all with these solid engine mounts
Old 11-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey Mikymu, I was just reading your post. Let me start by saying, we apologize that you had to modify our parts to fit correctly. Your comment, "Unfortunately most aftermarket products need some sort of modification" is unacceptable in our eyes. Rennline products should fit without modifications and it is VERY important for our customers to notify us when they do not. This allows us to make the required adjustments so the next customer who purchases them has a more pleasant experience. The nice part about Rennline is that we manufacture all of these parts in-house so it is very easy to us to make changes. This particular item was designed around the 964/993 platform and originally advertised for exactly that. We had several customer tell us that they were the same for the later cars so we began to offer them for those cars. Apparently that is all true except for the gt3 fitment. The good news is that it is an easy fix. Mikymu, Please contact us directly so we can discuss this a bit further and also get you a set of mounts that do not require modification. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:49 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennline
Hey Mikymu, I was just reading your post. Let me start by saying, we apologize that you had to modify our parts to fit correctly. Your comment, "Unfortunately most aftermarket products need some sort of modification" is unacceptable in our eyes. Rennline products should fit without modifications and it is VERY important for our customers to notify us when they do not. This allows us to make the required adjustments so the next customer who purchases them has a more pleasant experience. The nice part about Rennline is that we manufacture all of these parts in-house so it is very easy to us to make changes. This particular item was designed around the 964/993 platform and originally advertised for exactly that. We had several customer tell us that they were the same for the later cars so we began to offer them for those cars. Apparently that is all true except for the gt3 fitment. The good news is that it is an easy fix. Mikymu, Please contact us directly so we can discuss this a bit further and also get you a set of mounts that do not require modification. Thanks everyone.
WOW!

That was fast and I really appreciate the feedback

I will give you a call now and so far I like how my car feels - no excessive vibration. Feel free to comment on some of my findings and possible future modifications

Cheers

Mike
Old 11-17-2010, 04:50 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

^ Great attitude ! Bravo
Old 11-17-2010, 04:57 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Don't give them back the new ones will have noise and vibration : )- lol. Mike
Old 11-17-2010, 05:05 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
^ Great attitude ! Bravo
YES!

I just spoke with Paul - owner of Rennline - and they have sold many 997 solid engine mounts and they have not receive feedback like this regarding GT3 chassis. Paul thinks the difference is due to the extra aluminum chassis bracket on the GT3 which is not found in other model 996/997. The 1/4" lower drivetrain height with solid engine mount is what's found on Porsche race cars per Paul and lower center of gravity = better performance.

I am going to ship my factory and WEVO engine mounts to Paul at Rennline and they are going to address all the small details and make the solid engine mount fit like a glove on our GT3/RS. Stay tune!

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Don't give them back the new ones will have noise and vibration : )- lol. Mike
lol ... I am keeping the solid engine mounts until I get their up to date version in couple weeks
Old 11-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the 964/993 RS motor mounts in my 6GT3 and they lowered the engine about the same amount (10mm). I called Joel Reiser to see if this was right and he said that it was one of the advantages to the RS mounts. The lowering didn't cause any issues at all with any electrical/mechanical/coolant systems.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:35 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I installed the 964/993 RS motor mounts in my 6GT3 and they lowered the engine about the same amount (10mm). I called Joel Reiser to see if this was right and he said that it was one of the advantages to the RS mounts. The lowering didn't cause any issues at all with any electrical/mechanical/coolant systems.
That's very good to know. I think it's all plus and no negative by lowering the drivetrain ... just shows more of my Akrapovic "sac" lol
Old 11-17-2010, 06:49 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennline
That is customer service at it's best. I have Rennline products. Could not be happier.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

This is good news to future customers!! Nice job!!

Maybe the improved version will have the square sleeve on the screw, etc.

Originally Posted by mikymu

I am going to ship my factory and WEVO engine mounts to Paul at Rennline and they are going to address all the small details and make the solid engine mount fit like a glove on our GT3/RS. Stay tune!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:41 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Rennline mount was designed for the 964/993. Which will make if fit close to the 996 gen 1 into the gen 2 & 997 series slight fitment issues will creep into the equation.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Paul of Rennline can u change finish to satin silver- thanks : ). Mike ps- nice way to tell which part is for what : ).
Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Tom Pritchett
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cudos to Rennline for stepping up. Good work on making the modifications to the set you have. Having done modifications, it is common to have to make parts work. I am pleased to hear rennline paying attention to detail. I would hope others were so competent.

A quick question. You are changing gears 2-3 in a high G load? I would assume not a lateral G load. Changing gears in a corner isn't anything that I have heard anyone teach.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Pritchett
Cudos to Rennline for stepping up. Good work on making the modifications to the set you have. Having done modifications, it is common to have to make parts work. I am pleased to hear rennline paying attention to detail. I would hope others were so competent.

A quick question. You are changing gears 2-3 in a high G load? I would assume not a lateral G load. Changing gears in a corner isn't anything that I have heard anyone teach.
I do it all the time in very tight corners. I ran at Buttonwillow last weekend which has 2 tight turns, one with a declining radius. In order to carry more speed into a tight corner I turn-in while still in 3rd and allow the car to coast a second in the taller gear. I then downshift after corner entry and start getting back on the throttle for track-out. I wouldn't let out a clutch with a high rev load mid corner, but as described above you're in a low RPM stage and feel little effect if any from the downshift. The net result is a much faster corner entry than downshifting to 2nd....

Quick Reply: Rennline solid engine mount review