Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

anyone have a gt3 and a gtr?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default anyone have a gt3 and a gtr?

just curious about likes/dislikes when comparing the two cars.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:34 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Come on man, you can't be serious
Old 11-03-2010, 12:46 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Sure am. I've had it. My car has been on the lift with the engine out for around 6 weeks now. With no end in sight. Weisach refuses to tell dealer when the part will be available and when they will ship it. This is my 4th Porsche, and probably my last. I'm over it...

GTR has more power, awd, slick tranny, and as an added bonus.... (drumroll) I have it in writing from Nissan that they will warranty the car even if it was used on a track as long as it's not for competition. Meaning if something breaks at a DE it's covered provided you weren't doing something retarded at the time and forcibly broke something.

I haven't made up my mind yet but I am seriously considering it. There are some great deals on 2010 GTR's that are just sitting on showroom floors right now.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:57 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My butler has a GTR
Old 11-03-2010, 01:23 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

- My dealer doesn't care where or why my car breaks... as long as it's not due to abuse. They sponsor track events.
- Have not been following the marque but the little I've read tells me that the GTR is not that reliable if used "hard"
- 6 weeks sounds more like a dealer issue than a Porsche issue... just saying
- There "might" be a reason many GTRs are unsold
- GT3 issues are well documented so I would consider this to be "the devil you know"

Do it ONLY if you need to to get it out of your system. And if you decide to go ahead, make sure to get enough seat time before you pull the trigger.

Your feelings are totally understandable, but at least wait until you get the car back and re-acquaint yourself with it before making your decision. My .02
Old 11-03-2010, 01:25 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a '07 GT3 and a GTR. Sold the GTR and went back to a GT3RS. Sure the GTR is faster despite its weight. Tranny is slick but it could be its weakest point. They took out LC as you know as it could do serious damage to the tranny. But I got fed up when numerous cases of the solenoid failing even without launching.

Aside from that I found out the GT3 is just more fun to drive. More engaging and a exhaust note to die for. The GTR does basically everything for you. But then again I remember the rear seats could seat someone 5"7 for short trips so in a sense a bit more practical.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:28 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Gtr is as ugly as my 6gt3- guess which car I would keep? Mike
Old 11-03-2010, 01:33 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I haven't made up my mind yet but I am seriously considering it. There are some great deals on 2010 GTR's that are just sitting on showroom floors right now.
I cannot speak to either car first hand, but from all the research I have been doing, I would suggest you wait until February for the 2012 version of the GTR before you make up your mind.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

two friends got them.
both blew tranny driving on street and NEVER used the launch thing.
every car has issues.
porsche is by far the best and most durable if you really drive them.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:22 AM
sfbimmer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
every car has issues.
mooty's got it right, it all boils down to this -- all cars have some sort of issues. So essentially you are looking for the one with the least and porsche is one of the best (another marque that comes to mind is lotus).

granted the coolant issue is a major issue and your car being down 6 wks is inexplicable. but i would say you've come this far with the motor out. fix the coolant issues the way it should have been done from the factory. do the sharkwerks fix or the weld the press fittings.

you have to drive a gtr before you make the jump... because the core difference between the two is intrinsic -- visceral feel, driver engagement, the challenge to drive it fast/skillfully.... it's all porsche.

my brother has had a gtr (and 7 diff gt3's -- 6's and 7's variants), so this comes from firsthand experience of actually having the two under the same roof.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:36 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Even though I have been considering the same question, I have to say that my first Porsche, the current Cayman S, has been THE most reliable and least costly to operate by far with 73K total miles of which 18K mi. are on track.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:14 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
two friends got them.
both blew tranny driving on street and NEVER used the launch thing.
every car has issues.
Yup - reason I sold mine. With the GTR, that's a US$20K fix (out of warranty).
Old 11-03-2010, 03:16 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Dog: Your dealer sucks. Best dealer move would've been to do a quick repair on the leaky coolant fitting and send you on your way. Have you come back when oil leak repair parts come in. It's all on your dealer and they screwed up.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:39 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

check insurance on GTR.. for me they wanted almost 4x what i pay for the 09 carrera to insure an 09 GTR.

i have no tickets or accidents on record.. comparing apples to apples same company it was 4x more.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:39 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

just read the other thread.

instead of trade it in taking the lost, can u work out a deal on a buy-back? assuming u got it from a Porsche dealer... sorry to hear it.

Quick Reply: anyone have a gt3 and a gtr?