Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

Both cars in house..

Each has great qualities.. Neither is perfect.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ i didn't know it's that big. i think i get myself one and use it to tow my trailer.

I doubt the transmission can take the extra load.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:40 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

My research is showing that the gtr is probably not the way to go. I'm confident that it can probably turn faster lap times... But wow it takes a lot of work to make the GTR trackworthy.

From what I'm reading you'll need a tranny cooler, oil cooler, diff coolers, brake ducting, and sway bars. In addition, one poster noted that he can only go about 15 mins before tranny temps exceed limits and he had to run cool down laps.

No to mention the tranny fluid change alone is 1000 dollars. Brakes at all four corners are 8000 dollars (oem rotors and pads). The list goes on and on.

The GTR is a technical marvel, but it seems high maintenance. I think it would be a wonderful street though as it would require nothing to run it at street speeds for limited durations.

The guys on the board want you spend like 10k to get it ready for the track. Thats nuts....
Old 11-04-2010, 10:45 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carrering
DD, if you have PN of the items your dealer is waiting on, I can run them by my parts guy here in Germany. Maybe I can help out at least as far as gauging true availability. I don't think there is anything on a 997.1 GT3 that can't be readily procured.
See what you can do. Thanks!

Old 11-06-2010, 11:49 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Well, good news to report finally.

Apparently the part in question is now on its way. Word from the dealer is that porsche did a redesign on the part and didn't want to release old inventory. As to why they wouldn't just say that up front instead of leaving me in the dark since Sept 20, I have no idea....

They promise to have the engine back in and everything reassembled by next Friday. We'll see... (fingers crossed as I pre paid for a DE @ sebring next weekend).

As far as the GTR goes, from all my research it's just not a good track car. Not if you want to keep it under warranty anyway. There are just too many issues related to overheating components and fluid changes. There are options to keep it more cost effective and functional on the track, but your warranty goes right out the window when you switch to more economical fluids and longer durations between fluid changes.

Hopefully my GT3 experience improves once I get it back. Hopefully the odds are in my favor that I've had enough goofy ****e go sideways at once that it'll be smooth sailing from here (knock on wood )
Old 11-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say get in contact with your regions PCNA representative to assist in the situation. That is unless your dealer has asked you politely not to in fear of getting in some type of trouble.

Going on seven weeks is just plain silly. You need to have that car up and running, doing loops on your favorite path and replacing the rubber from burning doughnuts!
Old 11-07-2010, 12:41 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Region rep was aware. So was Weissach for that matter. They just didn't apparently think I needed to know what was going on with the car for whatever. The dealer has been diligent with their attempts to get status updates. Fortunately it looks like there is a light at the end of the tunnel finally

Quick Reply: anyone have a gt3 and a gtr?