Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

anyone have a gt3 and a gtr?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:56 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

It's not a lemon issue. Not until I have repeated problems. I had the one biggie with the coolant line coming loose. And now this damn holy grail of parts (oil filter housing something or other) that can't seem to be found and Germany isn't even hinting at when it may arrive...

The dealer is nice enough. However, they just keep shrugging their shoulders saying that they emailed and called. Not sure what more can be done. We're going into week 7 here shortly....

I love the car. Nothing else looks or sounds like it. Well maybe a 430 All kidding aside, it's a wonderful machine with a great interior. And it's a blast to drive.

My particular experience since owning this car for the past 6 months has not been great. Makes me yearn for my over modified supercharged 996 that almost never gave me a lick of serious trouble. Beat the crap out of that mercilessly and it was a good soldier. The GT3, not so much...

We'll see what happens. Again, maybe I'll get the car back somebody and fall in love again. I am a little pissed right now. I WILL NOT eat a ton of money to jump out of it though. However if I can swing a little swappity swap shenanigans I might go for it Having an on track warranty sounds very appealing at this point.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I've driven the GTR. I found it big and heavy. But it was FAST! Stupid fast.

Like my GT3 better.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 AM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I had a gtr for 5 months 4k miles. Sold it and got a gt3 and then a rs.

Gtr was fast, and boring, no personality.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:41 AM
amdevo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okaay, my cousins dream car was always the skyline while mine just had to be the gt3, wed have arguments al day long everytime we met, he got his skyline last year and i got my rs this year, my car defi looks beter we went on 2 drives together, the first was on the open road, he was considerably quicker, i stil rememb how he swooshed by (silently) through a roundabout so quick with a sloopy line, if i did that i would have spun out, the skyline did it efortlesly and it all jst looked too digital, the second run we had was at the track, where i followed him closly through out the whole course then over took him on the last turn, ENUF SAID
Old 11-04-2010, 09:32 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The potential maintenance costs are a little scary... Been spending a little time on the GTR boards doing research.

Tranny Fluid changes are like $800. And if you are tracking, it would seem to be needed to be done all the time to stay in warranty. That could add up quickly.....
Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Deputy, not gonna say anything negative about the Nissan's performance but glad 2 c ur doin your homework on running costs especially since ur planning to track... They are a heavy car that is hard on pads, rotors and tires and to maintain warranty for track use, it needs to go to the dealer before and after a track day + the infamous trans oil change after each track day as it suposedly begins to break down when it hits 130 degrees celcius... I had been on some of the forums months ago and was blown away with some of the maintenance costs/schedules suggested by owners...
Old 11-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned Porsches for 48 years; have had every issue you could possibly imagine, and some you would never think of. They didn’t have stand alone Porsche dealerships back then. I owned four Porsches before I was 20 years old. I started working on them myself to save money as parts were very pricey and money was in short supply, much like now! I worked for Vasek Polack as a teenager. He once told me that Porsches were like children, there were no bad ones! I have sometimes strayed but have always come back! There was a time when I spent all my money on my children, now I spend more money on tires then I do food or shelter. And that’s a fact! Dog, you will always come back, you will see I’m right on this one. Don't do it!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

^ right on ralph.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you're having a bad experience with Porsche and your new car. I would be livid if I was in your situation but if everyone who paid $100+ for their cars was being treated the same way as you are, Porsche wouldn't be selling cars. I can tell you that the dealer is probably the one dropping the ball here. I can understand waiting a week or two for an uncommon part but not much beyond that. The dealer should be going up the chain of command to light a fire under someone to get the parts they need to keep their customer happy.

I would work on getting your car back on the road and drive it for a few months before you decide to trade it. I think you will be much happier once you just put this situation behind you and you can actually DRIVE your car.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:06 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

DD, if you have PN of the items your dealer is waiting on, I can run them by my parts guy here in Germany. Maybe I can help out at least as far as gauging true availability. I don't think there is anything on a 997.1 GT3 that can't be readily procured.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:11 PM
s4awd
Advanced

If you have a few bucks, DO IT. Give it a shot. Life is too short. You don't like it? Come back. Having different cars makes you appreciate the ones you have or the one you're in so much more. Also, cars are like food and women. Try to taste as many different types as you can while you're alive. The penalities for switching cars is no where near as bad as the penalties for the other two. Gettng fat/heart attacks, dying, alimony/child support, murder etc etc. lol
Old 11-04-2010, 12:13 PM
NTY
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my GTR along my 6.2GT3 when I booked my 7.2GT3 early this year. My original plan was to replace the 6.2GT3 with 7.2GT3. But I now have 6.2GT3 and 7.2GT3 instead. GTR straight line performance needs no introduction. It is faster than a GT3 up to 200kmh. 200kmh and beyond is another different story. These are my dislikes about GTR:

1) Big and heavy
2) Good for one or two hot laps but not sustainable for prolonged track time in hot climate.
3) Stock brake, tranny and engine oil cooling inadequate for serious track works
4) Good power for highway crusing but the harsh ride prevents it be a a good GT car
5) Characterless and boring. Novelty fades very fast, I got bored after 6 months.

The longer I keep the 6GT3, the more I love it. Many friends say it doesn't make sense to have two GT3s. But my heart still reluctant to let the old girl go.....
Old 11-04-2010, 02:07 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default GTR

Originally Posted by lumber
I had a gtr for 5 months 4k miles. Sold it and got a gt3 and then a rs.

Gtr was fast, and boring, no personality.
I had my GTR for about a year. Modified the exhaust, intake and ecu(Cobb AP) for less than 5k installed for 650 very usable HP and similar torque. For it's size and weight it was amazingly agile-with very fast spool turbos and tremendous traction. True it's not as visceral a thrill machine as my new GT3RS, but I'd say it was a better DD and street car. Still, I sold it for the RS since my E90 M3 DCT was an even better DD-though not as fast. Also, I was concerned about the GTR's long term reliability-particularly the tranny, though I had no problems during ownership. Still, I was sufficiently impressed that I'd get another in the future.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:55 PM
s4awd
Advanced

+1
Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some friends of mine have GTR's, and they use them for tracking.

Conclusion:
- The car is FAST on track. In combination with a good pilot it is REALLY FAST. It seems to defy the laws of physics.
- On a big track (like Francorchamps, 7km a lap and quite high speeds) you will never win endurances with a GTR. It has a 55 liter fuel tank and it drinks fuel at an alarming rate
- Then again, you wouldn't need to worry about that because after 5 laps full-pull on a track like Francorchamps your playstation dash will start lighting up telling you all kinds of stuff is overheating (the transmission being a good example) and you'll have to do a cooldown anyway.
- The stock brakes are crap. Both guys I know replaced them with Alcons. The difference is gigantic.
- Do not underestimate the total cost of ownership. Parts on that car cost a fortune, 20" tyres aren't the cheapest either when it comes to replacing them and it consumes huge amounts of fuel.

I had one of the guys in my 2010 GT3 as a passenger and it only took him 1 lap to be completely jealous of my car. He loved every bit about it, the feel, the precision, the sound ... Mind you I can not follow him at all on the track when he is driving his GTR, he is a very good pilot.

Quick Reply: anyone have a gt3 and a gtr?