Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Steel rotor options for 997.1 GT3 with PCCBs

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 PM
docdan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel rotor options for 997.1 GT3 with PCCBs

Hello Folks. I've been searching a lot of the past posts regarding switching 997.1 PCCB's to steel (iron) rotors trying to figure out what the best option would be. I like many others, have decided to "box up" my PCCBs for the next owner and switch to steel rotors for track use.

There appears to be some people who have already gone down this road, while others are just speculating on "what they heard". A fine example of this would be the Girodisc rotors. I had read people recommending them as an option for a direct bolt on replacement for the 997.1 GT3 PCCBs. I was all ready to order a set last week, only to find out from the factory source that they do not make them for a 997.1 PCCB application as of yet. (They do make them for 996TT and 996 GT3 PCCB's and Cayman S with PCCB)

So my humble request for you folks who have switched, is to tell me what you switched to, where you got them from, and if you like them or not. If you can also comment on the availability of replacement rotors and general cost, that would be great.

My best bet would be to be able to use my PCCB calipers with the rotors. I am open to suggestions that replace rotors and calipers, but really I'm not looking to spend huge money.

Some 997.1 PCCB steel replacement rotors that I read about on this forum are:

1. Brembo

2. Deman

3. Protosport

4. AP Racing

5. ????

If you folks who have used the above brands of steel replacement rotors for your 997.1 GT3 PCCB would be so kind as to comment on where to buy, performance, availablity of replacements, etc.... it would be very much appreciated.

best regards,

Dan
Old 10-26-2010, 10:42 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

size wise, i am not sure which manufacturer above is compatible with .1 pccb.

but durability and cost wise:

i have had both deman and protosport. they are very heavy, but very durable and cheap 600/set. i love them.

i had brembo's before, very light and sexy, but $$$.
and pls dont give me the hat can be reused again and again rhetoric b/c i have destroyed the hat after every other rotor change. so for me they dont work so well. but others seems to be ok with it.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I have the same question, if a site sponsor has a good repeatable solution I am in
Old 10-27-2010, 01:07 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docdan
Hello Folks. I've been searching a lot of the past posts regarding switching 997.1 PCCB's to steel (iron) rotors trying to figure out what the best option would be. I like many others, have decided to "box up" my PCCBs for the next owner and switch to steel rotors for track use.

There appears to be some people who have already gone down this road, while others are just speculating on "what they heard". A fine example of this would be the Girodisc rotors. I had read people recommending them as an option for a direct bolt on replacement for the 997.1 GT3 PCCBs. I was all ready to order a set last week, only to find out from the factory source that they do not make them for a 997.1 PCCB application as of yet. (They do make them for 996TT and 996 GT3 PCCB's and Cayman S with PCCB)

So my humble request for you folks who have switched, is to tell me what you switched to, where you got them from, and if you like them or not. If you can also comment on the availability of replacement rotors and general cost, that would be great.

My best bet would be to be able to use my PCCB calipers with the rotors. I am open to suggestions that replace rotors and calipers, but really I'm not looking to spend huge money.

1. Brembo

2. Deman

3. Protosport

4. AP Racing

5. ????

If you folks who have used the above brands of steel replacement rotors for your 997.1 GT3 PCCB would be so kind as to comment on where to buy, performance, availablity of replacements, etc.... it would be very much appreciated.

best regards,

Dan
Not on your list but I have been using the Porsche 997.2 GT3/RS steel rotors on my 997.1 GT3RS as PCCB replacements. Brakes are exceptional, the only thing I would do differently is use PFC 01 pads instead of the Carbotech XP10. Not enough initial bite for my preferences.

Here is a link to a thread I posted on the subject.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=39159

Since that thread I have had the car back to Mid Ohio 3x, at Nelson Ledges 2x, Putnam Park and VIR. Rotors are in excellent shape and will be transferred to my new 997.2 GT3RS.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:59 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

i have had both deman and protosport. they are very heavy, but very durable and cheap 600/set. i love them.
I love those rotors also, but someone correct me; The slotted protosport and Deman rotors do not fit on the MK2, so that means they don't fit on any PCCB car right?

I wish someone would make the Co-cast Brembo rotors slotted..
Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

I have been on the same search....and this is what protosport told me in an email back

"We Only make 14" solid gas slotted fronts due to the demand. No one usually asks for rears so we install factory cross drilled rear rotors.If wish we do offer 2-Piece 15" front rotor replacement but ends up costing much more than factory cast Iron.."

Does Stop Sech have a solution? I woudl not mind buying an entire new brake kit, but what is the replacement rotor cost if you buy all new parts?

How much for AP rotors?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Izzone, you should be good to go with Protospot? Why would you want 2 piece rotors?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Protosport does not make a 15" (380mm) front rotor

I am considering this..........just seems so expensive

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99...-cup-pads.html

TRAKCAR...I am signed up for Chin-Sebring (both days) in November, are you going to be there
Old 10-27-2010, 07:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Oh right, I forgot you have PCCB. My bad.
Yes, see you at Sebring, I am hired a coach (Driving and Traqmate) for the first time. Should be interesting.

FVD link seems expensive, the rear OEM rotos should just fit @ $150ea.
For the fronts I think Stoptech and Brembo sell steels that replace PCCB. Even with extra hats should be less then that..Not sure as I don't have PCCB.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mkozink
Not on your list but I have been using the Porsche 997.2 GT3/RS steel rotors on my 997.1 GT3RS as PCCB replacements. Brakes are exceptional, the only thing I would do differently is use PFC 01 pads instead of the Carbotech XP10. Not enough initial bite for my preferences.

Here is a link to a thread I posted on the subject.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=39159

Since that thread I have had the car back to Mid Ohio 3x, at Nelson Ledges 2x, Putnam Park and VIR. Rotors are in excellent shape and will be transferred to my new 997.2 GT3RS.
Is there a factory part number for the shim?
Old 10-27-2010, 01:04 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docdan

1. Brembo

2. Deman

3. Protosport

4. AP Racing

5. ????

best regards,

Dan

I went with brembo type III front and rear on my 997.1 RS PCCB with pagid RS29 pads
Direct bolt on

I went thru the same list when I changed over -- and IIRC my options were pretty much limited to stop tech and brembo... with GD in development. I did not really look much further than those three brands so there could be more but I was finding that a 380mm replacement is not that common.

Any brembo seller can get them - I got mine at speedware in Redmond, WA.
I have not had to replace them yet so I cannot speak to availability of replacement parts but it is brembo so I am anticipating that it will not be too bad.

Cost - not inexpensive... IIRC approx $2500 for the fronts and less for the rears but check around... I try not to remember prices as it depresses me.

Functionality - direct bolt on and ebrake compatible and work with OEM calipers etc - very easy

Performance - top notch... but pads squeeze rotors and stop the car... are they better or worse than others... I cannot say. Am I pleased with performance and longevity - yes. They have about 10 track days on them this year and are still looking good.

in action
Old 10-27-2010, 02:39 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
Is there a factory part number for the shim?
Not that I am aware of. Mine were machined out of billet aluminum.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:31 PM
kush07
Racer

I went with the Stop Tech direct replacements. PFC 01 pads all around. (hats are a little larger than stock, so they will actually sand down the inside annulus of the pad so it doesn't contact the hat).

They work great. A little more shimmy than the PCCBs. Dirtier. All in all happy with them but.....

Why? I went through this process probably the same way you did. There's no way I'm replacing the ceramics and, if I sell the car won't it hurt the price if I sell them with iron rotors?

I say no. You will not get any big price difference for your mk1 gt3 with PCCB vs. irons. Therefore, there is basically no premium. So why have $15k worth of what some consider the best braking system on the market sitting in your closet just so you can sell your car at some point with them? I just don't think you'll take any kind of hit if you wear through your ceramics and end up selling the car with steels.

Other things to consider. Many believe the cost difference between PCCB and iron is greatly diminished when considering longevity. Will they last the life of the car like PNA tries to tell us? No, not a tracked car. Use the green motorsport pads which are designed for higher speed temps. I've heard of guys with tens of thousands of TRACK miles on ceramics and the P50s (green pads).

Sorry for the long post, but I just know that when I had my ceramics stashed in my closet, all I could think of is, "why the hell do I care what the next buyer wants." (btw, he'd still be getting larger calipers to accommodate 380mm rotors rather than the smaller - 350mm i believe - that a straight iron set up allows for).

That said, if you're interested, I'll sell you mine. 4 rotors with 2 track days, 4 pfc 01s (2 track days), 4 porterfields r4s (for street driving).

PM if interested.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:13 PM
BelMaseto
Intermediate

I've replaced PCCB rotors with Alcons in both my previous MKI GT3 and current MKI RS. Direct replacement and high brake power with RS29.

Regards.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

I also went with Brembo Type III rotors with pagid yellow pads on my 997 GT2. The fronts are 380MM at $2,595 for both fronts and 350MM at $1,995 for both rears. Not cheap but a lot cheaper than replacing the ceramiics that I ruined in four track days. Front and back are both two piece. I love the feel and stopping power of these brakes. The fronts are narrow annulus and require a little machining down of the backing plate. Brembo does that for not a lot of extra money. Sharkwerks got the parts and did the replacement. Can't comment on how many rotor changes the hats will last because I haven't worked them as long and hard as Mooty.

Quick Reply: Steel rotor options for 997.1 GT3 with PCCBs